PDA

View Full Version : Trimming fairytale ends

Squeak toy
September 10th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I have and like fairytale ends. The last 1 in has been very dry and getting knotted so I was thinking of trimming but how do you do that so it is not so blunt.

Dars
September 10th, 2011, 08:19 PM
You could try the U shape from Feye's (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) instructions or just S&D individual hairs if you've some time.

jaine
September 10th, 2011, 08:33 PM
"Not blunt" could mean a lot of different things ... do you mean the shape of the hemline? or layers? or wispy ends? Or some combination of these?

Lianna
September 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Hold your scissors vertically or diagonally to cut. That's how we make fringes look wispy. Might blend with the rest of the hemline.

Squeak toy
September 10th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I was looking to keep my ends wispy and not all one length which most trims produce

Honestwitness
September 10th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I trim my bangs with thinning scissors, instead of regular scissors. I also hold the blades vertical or at a 45 degree angle so I'm trimming just a few hairs at a time. When it comes time to trim my length, I will use the same technique, because I don't like the look of wavy hair that's cut perpendicular to the hair shaft (i.e. blunt cut). I prefer the fairy tale look.

spidermom
September 10th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I think I'd divide my hair into about 8 or 10 vertical sections around my head, twist each one, and snip the driest ends.

jaine
September 10th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I think I'd divide my hair into about 8 or 10 vertical sections around my head, twist each one, and snip the driest ends.

That's what I would suggest too ... you can twist a tiny section and hold just the tip so that most of the hairs escape the twist ... then trim the hairs that poke out of the twist. All hairs should end in a different spot to keep the wispiness.

I love wispy ends too :)

Shelly
September 10th, 2011, 09:13 PM
http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-site/services/doc/4998:244743762214/jpeg/BG
http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-site/services/doc/4998:844743762214/jpeg/BG
http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-site/services/doc/4998:354743762214/jpeg/BG

Would you all consider my ends fairytail ends? If so, I just trim my hair with a blunt trim.

Pierre
September 10th, 2011, 10:50 PM
When I get knots, I cut the knots off. Same with tangles. I hardly get any splits, but I'd cut them off too. Usually I find tangles in the shower or when braiding.

Panth
September 11th, 2011, 05:45 AM
How about:

1) Clarify the hair.

If that didn't get rid of the dry, tangly, knotting feeling on the ends...

2) Do a heavy coconut oiling on the last 3-4".

3) S&D.

4) Small trim - maybe start with 1/2"

(I'd go for Feye's self-trim method or, if you haven't the confidence for that, someone trusted ... hairdressers generally don't understand the concept of fairytale ends and you're likely to get several (/many!) inches hacked off until it's more of a blunt V/U shape (or, worse, until it's blunt and straight across).

No point leaping for a trim when there's other things you could try first that may improve the condition without length-loss.

Squeak toy
September 11th, 2011, 07:05 AM
So I trimmed this morning and I am happy with the results. I divided my hair and twisted it and cut the ends at a diagonal. I feel that it is less dry now and still slightly variable lengths at the end. My hemline is much fuller now which I am liking. I actually ended up cutting off about 2 in when twisted but it only looks like 1 then lying flat. Thank you all for your help.

savannahfaery
January 23rd, 2018, 01:52 PM
Personally, instead of trimming, I have been doing S&D with the individual hairs, both on the length, but also on the very tips. When I have no splits left on the tips, then I have no need to trim the bottom at all, because that would also be trimming the healthy ends. :o I hope I was able to help someone! :blossom: