PDA

View Full Version : protecting my hair while riding my Harley

mojavewolf1
September 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM
:cheese:I ride a Harley ...Is there anyone else here that rides? What do you do to protect your hair....??I wear do rags and bandanas but I really dont think they protect your hair..It protects your helmet from sweat and dirt..Any Ladies out there ride and want to share how you care for your hair???? Thanks

MinderMutsig
September 10th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I don't ride but my sister does. She braids her hair and tucks the length in her jacket. Then she puts one of those rags over it to help protect it from friction inside the helmet.

If you want to be really nice to your hair I guess you could use a silk or satin scarf or sleep cap instead of a rag. You could put it over your head and then braid the tails in the braid or wrap it around the braid to protect it. I'd still recommend putting the length inside your jacket though.

luthein
September 10th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I ride :) I chopped my hair in the past because of riding-related damage, and then I found the Diva-Do helm liner. This plus a helmet saved my hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJLV6IP-QmM

julierockhead
September 10th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I love the look of these, though I don't ride:

https://hairglove.com/

stacyyyy1972
September 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM
i have found that braiding my hair with the bandana helps protect the hair as most is covered by the bandana. I have tried the hair gloves and dont work for long hair as the ends are still so open but the bandana is good for me and it still looks cute when you take your helmet off :)

Roseate
September 10th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I know buffs (http://www.planetbuff.com/)are quite popular among riders around here; they are like a big tube of fabric that covers your hair, you can wrap it up in a variety of ways.

luxepiggy
September 10th, 2011, 09:35 PM
My preference is a low braid that starts at the nape (secured with elastics at both start and end), tucked inside my jacket (^(oo)^)

MistyF
September 10th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I braid a bandana into my hair. My hair is thin and braiding the bandana into it helps it look thicker.

CindyLea1
September 10th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I went on a poker run today and english braded from the nape down, put a hair twister over that, and a do rag for the top of my head...It worked ok.

I want a unit called a Wrapter. They are 18 inches in length, so I'd need 2 overlapped half way down my poytail. But the inventor, designer, owner gal is a treat to talk to and has hair just about waist length herself, so she's going to do longer ones in the future, after she pefects the ones she's making now and works on other color/design options of the material.

I'll be back with links to the twister and the wrapter in a second. Gotta find them in my favorites.

http://www.hairtwisters.com/ Link to the twisters main page

https://www.wrapter.com Link to Wrapters main page

Cowgirl16
September 10th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Hi, I ride:D lately a braid starting at the nape and then tucked in my jacket has been my hair style of choice for the bike. I was wearing the glove but even my special made one is too short; plus my hair gets under my butt :( I would like to know more about the diva do also the wrapter and twister! Women riders rock:D

MasCat
September 12th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I ride a kawasaki ninja, and I just braid my hair with a scarf. I am looking for well protected style as well... and ways to protect braids on my head from helmet tease...

If I am riding to a milonga or to give a harp concert I start out with dutch braids finished of with a simple braid that I pin up with hairsticks when I arrive to my destination.

BelleBot
September 12th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I too braid my hair and stick it down my jacket, I usually do pigtails for comfort. :) When I'm feeling particularly keen I'll wrap the braids with silk ribbon to give them extra protection, but it's rare that I do that.

I ride a Suzuki SV650 by the way. :)

Buffy
September 12th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Well , i ride my boyfriends motorcycle. As some others said, i braid my hair and tuck it into the jacket, or if i don't wear a jacket i wear it in a bun with a big bandana over it which covers my head. The bandana thing is only for when it's a longer ride. When we just wanna go somewhere near by , i do a messy quick bun. I think we shouldn't over-reacting about it. Unless your hair is knee length! If that's the case , then it's logical to have a problem.

Alacris~
September 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I also ride and would love to know handy tips to keep your hair from friction. Everything I try fails and my hair never stays put wich leads to lose hair aka damage in the wind! (I think part of the problem is having layers).
So no help here.

Jessica Trapp
September 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I braid mine and then put in up in a Buff. (www.buffwear.com)

elfgirl
September 19th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I don't ride, but have been a passenger on a sportbike many times. I have either braided my hair in a regular 3 strand braid, and had it down my shirt, or have had it in a ponytail, with multiple ponytail holders wrapped around it, about one to two inches apart, until the end. It's kind of hard to explain, but I hope it makes sense. Scarf braiding is a technique I have heard of, but have yet to try. Best of luck!! :)

GettingThere
September 20th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I ride a Sportster and I just braid from nape down and secure with hair elastic. I do not put anything between my hair and the helmet but I may need to rethink that...:D I also tend to just leave the braid out to flap in the wind...which I am sure is not all that healthy!