PDA

View Full Version : "Oh!" or "...Oh no."

julierockhead
September 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM
On the one hand, cool looking braid (cool to me anyway, I'm a braid noob).

On the other hand, when she slides all that hair against the grain of the other strand, I get the serious willies, like watching someone flatiron and then backcomb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or5yV7yPQJo&feature=related

sweet*things
September 10th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Wow! That is super cute, super complicated looking, but so easy! I'm definitely trying this.

Madora
September 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM
On the one hand, cool looking braid (cool to me anyway, I'm a braid noob).

On the other hand, when she slides all that hair against the grain of the other strand, I get the serious willies, like watching someone flatiron and then backcomb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or5yV7yPQJo&feature=related

Yes, it gives me the willies too, Julierockhead! Not hair friendly at all!

MissEarlGrey
September 10th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I got willies too. TLHC does things to you.

Little_Bird
September 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I guess if you don't do it too often it wouldn't be too damaging, as long as it's done with care and love. It's looks really cool :)

wooliswonderful
September 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
DD 13 wore a snake braid last week. It looked pretty neat. :)

Honestwitness
September 10th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't do that to my fragile hair. However, if one were to divide the hair into two strands and braid a satin ribbon into it as the third strand, one could ease the braided hair strands back up the ribbon without doing too much damage to the hair, I would think.

wooliswonderful
September 10th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't do that to my fragile hair. However, if one were to divide the hair into two strands and braid a satin ribbon into it as the third strand, one could ease the braided hair strands back up the ribbon without doing too much damage to the hair, I would think.
I'm going to try that. :)

julierockhead
September 10th, 2011, 05:41 PM

Smart! That would look smashing too, I think. Someone try it and post a pic!

Foxy_Booker
September 10th, 2011, 05:46 PM
When she started sliding the hair, I made this face:agape:as a reflex. It looked really neat though, I want to try it, but I'm not sure if I can bear it.

spidermom
September 10th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I like the ribbon idea. I'd never try to force hair against the natural lie of the cuticle, though.

Barb
September 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Ah, youth ...

Never in a million years would I do this to my gray, dyed, damaged middle-aged head of hair.

But if you're a cute little 14 year-old with thick, healthy, virgin hair it'd probably be just fine. Heck she could probably braid it into a rope and dangle from the end of it without hurting anything. Damned kids!:roll:

Kayla Nyx
September 10th, 2011, 07:01 PM
O___O Oh No!!!!

sweet*things
September 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM
My daughter wore the snake braids to school last week. She had gym class and they didn't get fuzzy at all! It was insane how well these held up over the course of the day, without any serum or hairspray. I put them in at 6:30am and they looked almost identical at 9:30pm when I took them out. Maybe the slight "back-combing" effect locks them in?

archel
September 14th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I tried this snake braid and I literally heard snapping and then realized that my hair is so dark, you can't really see the detail anyway! So, no snake braids for me!

Auburn_locks
September 14th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Made me shudder: a little bit but it's very pretty! I think the ribbon idea is a great idea and would love to see pics if someone tries it :)

Angel_099
September 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I would love to see pics too, if someone does decide to try it with ribbon. I agree it looks very bad for your hair...but it is a very cool braid!! :)

Buffy
September 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I BLAME YOU people!!! You've destroyed me!!:wigtongue:wigtongue

I've seen hundreds of videos with girls back-combing or brushing their hair with a petal brush and i never had a problem with it!

But for the last 2-3 weeks I CAN'T STAND any of these!!!

For example i almost passed out when i saw this (1:23 and after): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9-4TDEuUCM

.....aghhhhhhhhh!!!:blueeek::blueeek::blueeek::blu eeek: :face::face::face:

CaityBear
September 14th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I've seen that before. It's sooo neat but with my fine hair I'm not sure if I could do it with minimal damage. But it's neat enough I'd be tempted to do it every now and then.

Syrena
September 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I looks super cute and pretty, but I would not do it to my hair:poot:

Chetanlaiho
September 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM

I've seen hundreds of videos with girls back-combing or brushing their hair with a petal brush and i never had a problem with it!

For example i almost passed out when i saw this (1:23 and after): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9-4TDEuUCM

Haha, you think that's bad? I'm involved in some fashions where bleaching, dying, teasing and excessive heatstyling is the |norm| xD

Though her "Very, very long hair" kinda made me :rolleyes:

Alvrodul
September 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I've done this braid a couple of times - it is very unusual looking, so it does generate a fair amount of interest (and who among us don't want our hair to be admired?)
But there is that "pulling the hair the "wrong" way thing" - so it is not a braid I am likely to do frequently. But from time to time is okay. :)

AcornMystic
September 14th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Yikes!!! I just had to comment on that video. I hope I wasn't too rude to her, but I just don't understand. She acknowledges that she should be using a detangler, but doesn't! And mentions what is wrong with her, but doesn't make an effort to avoid it. *facepalm*

EDIT:

Oh, and about the OP's video. Almost makes me think of a Celtic knot style braid. Beautiful and intricate looking, but yeouch! I don't think I could subject my hair to that. This ribbon idea I'm hearing though sounds good. I'd like to see it done and perhaps then I will try this.

tigereye
September 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Not hair friendly at all... :shudder:
The ribbon idea is cool though. Surely otherwise, it wouldn't be entirely impossible to do it, just by holding one strand completely taught as you braided?

Buffy
September 15th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Yikes!!! I just had to comment on that video. I hope I wasn't too rude to her, but I just don't understand. She acknowledges that she should be using a detangler, but doesn't! And mentions what is wrong with her, but doesn't make an effort to avoid it. *facepalm*

Oh, no girl you weren't rude at all! ;)

Audhumla
September 15th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Ahhhh can't watch :/ Looks nice when finished but I would neeeeever want to see this done in person, let alone have it done on my hair :S

maria_asa
September 15th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I agree that it's really nice looking and I did try it once but never again. Even though I made the braid loose and was very, very careful when sliding it back I felt really bad about the damage it caused. Not that I could see any damage from that one time but it just felt 100% completely wrong to do it.

Bluegrass Babe
September 16th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I think it would be ok on healthy hair that has a flat cuticle. And as long as the braid isn't tight and you don't need to push hard to slide the hair, seems like it would not be as damaging as everyone thinks.

Look at arc691's photo album. She has a beautiful one!

bluesnowflake
September 17th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Oh, I like the ribbon idea! I've seen this before but was afraid of pushing hair back up. It seemed just like backcombing. But with a ribbon as the center strand it could work!

longhairedlady
September 17th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I am wondering if the hair was oiled would it slide a little easier and be less damaging? I just cringe thinking about doing it to my hair though!

missdelarocha
September 19th, 2011, 09:01 PM
She is actually straightening her hair with a clothes iron, 80's alert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgimFZQLrqs&feature=related

julierockhead
September 19th, 2011, 09:17 PM

This was a 70's thing, the 80's were all about BIG hair.

Pretty scary.

Yame
September 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Whoa, that could have been a real disaster!

ElvenArchess
September 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I think that's genius! Lovely idea! c:

Edit: or I could use one of my purple clip-in extentions!

longhairedlady
September 19th, 2011, 09:38 PM

I am wayyyyyyyy to clumsy for this.

Airmide
September 19th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I thought I remembered seeing this braid in Arc691's album! I was wondering how to do it when I saw her picture. But that sliding part looks SCARY! Doing it with ribbons or something is a good idea. I wonder if there's a non-damaging way to accomplish this braid?

Lisa R
September 19th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Has been interesting reading the comments on this thread. I thought I would check the video out and as I watching her push the hair back up I cringed! Youch!:) Looks great but I don't think it's worth the stress on the hair.

AnqeIicDemise
September 20th, 2011, 12:04 AM

The visual is frustrating.. it gives me the hibbies... but the audio.. It makes me cringe.

Its like.. hearing fingernails dragging on a chalkboard. -rip. rip.-

WinterButterfly
September 20th, 2011, 01:10 AM
made me cringe. like nails on a chalkboard. But I think a good silk cord for the part you slide against should be fine. Because no hair would be rubbed against the grain that way. I would use a cord, not a ribbon. A cord doesn't have any potentially sharp edges like the side of a ribbon would. I would never do it the way the girl in the video did. Looks and sounds damaging. I would rather use the blowfrier on that section of hair.

missdelarocha
September 20th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Haha sorry, Gen-Y alert here.

That's a really good idea to substitute the middle piece, saves the hair a little.

I wouldn't consider a ribbon's edge sharp, unless you mean visually, I think maybe a slightly rounded cord would look more similar to the hair snaking around it but not necessarily any different damage wise.

Jeno86
September 20th, 2011, 07:21 PM
When she started sliding the hair, I made this face:agape:as a reflex. It looked really neat though, I want to try it, but I'm not sure if I can bear it.

Same here but I was a bit more :scared: Couldn't do that to my hair.

sycamoreboutiqu
September 21st, 2011, 01:22 AM
>>>
Originally Posted by missdelarocha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgimF...eature=related
This was a 70's thing, the 80's were all about BIG hair.

Pretty scary.<<<<

Yup - tried it in the late 60's actually. Scary is right - and the smell of scorching hair is terrible.

I tried to be careful - but geez. I was ironing my own hair too so you can imagine how well that went.

AnqeIicDemise
September 22nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
I just wanted to share that I tried this with the ribbon as the third plait.

It came out *gorgeous* and I love the way the ribbon just adds a crazy pop of color!

ETA: the ribbon I have doesn't have sharp edges caused by wire edging. ^-^ No hair snags here, just awesome color. I'll post pictures as soon as the albums are back up.

Cania
September 22nd, 2011, 12:34 AM

"I have very, very long hair." :lol:

missdelarocha
October 29th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Yup - tried it in the late 60's actually. Scary is right - and the smell of scorching hair is terrible.

I tried to be careful - but geez. I was ironing my own hair too so you can imagine how well that went.

:lol: I can imagine.
And yes my bad completely got the year wrong, pretty sure flat hair is not 80's :o

crystalkiss
October 30th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I didn't even think I was very hair-OCD but it gave me chills, like a visual of fingernails on a blackboard - shudder! The braid is so cool-looking, though. Conflicting emotiooonnnssss

missdelarocha
October 30th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I just wanted to share that I tried this with the ribbon as the third plait.

It came out *gorgeous* and I love the way the ribbon just adds a crazy pop of color!

ETA: the ribbon I have doesn't have sharp edges caused by wire edging. ^-^ No hair snags here, just awesome color. I'll post pictures as soon as the albums are back up.

Awesome, please do!! What's the matter with the albums?

salls
October 30th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Very pretty, but the technique definatly squeeks me out.

RoseOfClare
October 30th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Ive had this done on my hair before. It's not as bad as it looks trick is to braid a little looser than normal so it slides easily!

Amber_Maiden
October 30th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I get freaked out definitely. When I used to model I had one hair stylist backcomb my hair. I was so upset, but hey, I was getting paid, so what was I going to do? That was last NOV, so almost a year ago!