PDA

View Full Version : 4 years with LHC

AJoifulNoise
September 10th, 2011, 04:36 PM
It feels like just yesterday that I was browsing through these forums, leaning towards not actually signing up because I never participate in forums out of shyness. But, I did sign up. And, I'm so glad I did! The people on this forum have seen me through so many things- many of them having nothing or next to nothing to do with my hair. I've found a stable home here while moving 3 times in less than 2 years, giving up the religion of my birth and 23 years, getting a job, moving in to my own place... When all else was unstable, the LHC was there. Even when the site crashed, we still found ways to uplift each other.

And now, it has been 4 years. Some new people may not recognize me at all. I'm just stepping back into the forums after a long hiatus (re: "life! it happens!"). I'm hoping to become more active. Perhaps not as active as before, but close. I've missed this place!

So, now, my journey:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2011/october06toFeb08.jpg

I started growing my hair out in October of 2006 for religous reasons. At the time I was growing out dye as well. I had commited myself to never trimming my hair again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2011/April08toJanuary09.jpg

In August of 2008, I left my church and trimmed my hair back to BSL. But, that didn't mean I stopped growing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2011/February09toMay09.jpg

And growing!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2011/December09toFeb10.jpg

aaaand, growing!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2011/July10toApril11.jpg

In July of 2010, after much thought I took a short-haired detour on my long-haired journey. First I cut to BSL on my own. Unsatisfied (as I knew I would be... I'd been thinking about his for months), I went and had my hair cut short professionally. After that, I went as crazy as I wanted to with buzzing it off and dying it. I have no regrets. Not one. I had a lot of fun with my super-short do. I even miss it to the point of being torn. But, in April when I moved in to my own apartment I decided I wanted my long hair back. So, the odessey has begun again!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2011/July11toSept11.jpg

My longest hairs are now nearly to my shoulders. I've been having a great deal of fun growing out with very few truely awkward phases.

At present:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2011/Now.jpg

And a bonus...

The little piggie tails I wear to work to keep my hair off of my neck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2011/101_1908.jpg

I've broken just about every hair rule I've encountered: no-cone, no-sulphate, no-dye, no-trim, no-cut... I've learned about shampoo bars, condition-only, coconut oil, horn combs... I've learned about so many different kinds of people. And I've learned a lot about myself. Thank you, LHC, for being a safe place to grow so much more than hair.

ladonna
September 10th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Wow that all I can say, hair is amazing!

BlazingHeart
September 10th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Wow...the change as you grew out the dye is impressive. Your hair looks so much healthier and shinier afterwards!

Rocket22
September 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Wow what an amazing journey and your hair is lovely! I love your natural color. How fun and exciting you have had it as long and as short.

kettle
September 10th, 2011, 05:04 PM
AJoifulNoise! I'd wondered where you'd got to! How nice to see you! I always loved your hair, it was spectacular long as I'm sure it will be again - but gosh I do love it short too. I may be completely off the mark, but reading this post I felt like there was something right about your cutting it short at that time. There's nothing like some experimentation and a fresh start sometimes! Here's to happy growth once more.

Also: gotta love those piggie tails. :)

Roseate
September 10th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Those piggytails are adorable! Have fun regrowing, your hair is awesome at any length!

Emerald88
September 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I have to admit that I prefer long to short on you and most anyone for that matter, just my preference. Your hair was stunning long. It's good you had fun with trying out different colors while it was short and I look forward to seeing your progress as you grow back out.

julierockhead
September 10th, 2011, 05:14 PM
"I've learned about so many different kinds of people. And I've learned a lot about myself. Thank you, LHC, for being a safe place to grow so much more than hair."

I'm brand new here, but I'm starting to feel an inkling of what you are saying. This is a good place, because of the good people who wander around the threads and blogs cheering each other on in life.

Welcome back!

justgreen
September 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary! I am excited to be able to watch your long growth journey, AGAIN!!!!! Your hair is such a lovely color and is stunning long! :flowers: Happy growing Sweetie!

Teazel
September 10th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Wow, you've been on a journey all right. I'm a bit envious that you've had the experience of short hair; I never have. Good on you for having the courage to cut it all off and start again, and good luck with growing out! :flower:

wooliswonderful
September 10th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Congrats on your 4 years!
I love the pig tails. :)

Beatnik Guy
September 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Happy 4yearniversary! :)

Toiréasa
September 10th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Wow what an incredible journey! congrats on your anniversary.

Lisa R
September 10th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Thank you for sharing your story with us. Amazing and inspirational journey:)

Aqua Gal
September 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I've always liked reading your posts...missed hearing your news. The short hair is growing out so fast! Whatever length you choose, it's so nice to see you here again!

Quetiepi
September 10th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Your hair looked good short, and it looked good long. Lucky you who can pull both looks off! I'm a newbie, this is my 26th post. I got a private message today that I tried to answer, but got the "your post is too short" error message. I am looking forward to being a veteran so I can use everything about the site. Congratulations about your anniversary! I enjoyed looking at all your pictures. Thank you for sharing all of them!

Melisande
September 11th, 2011, 01:06 AM
You have been missed! Your hair looks great long and short. And the pigtails are adorable!

alyanna
September 11th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Thanks so much AJoiefulNoise!

Lovely story, lovely pictures and beautiful hair!

I've often enjoyed reading your posts and I'm really happy you shared your progress over the years with us. I'm inspired that you reached great lengths then went to a buzz cut and now you're growing your hair back long. Cool!

julliams
September 11th, 2011, 01:28 AM
You have absolutely amazing hair. It looks so different in almost every photo - I love that. I think you look great with short hair too and it must have been so liberating to do that.

Congrats with your new decision to grow. Enjoy all the stages on the way back to long. Do you have a goal length in particular? I really like the April and May 2009 photos but then, that's my length now too so that's probably why - lol.

Libbylou
September 11th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Welcome back. I love the pig tails. I might even try that. Although my hair is a tiny bit longer.

Dragon
September 11th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Happy 4th arniversary :)

skyblue
September 11th, 2011, 02:27 AM
gorgeous hair! I love your little pigtails!

Lucky
September 11th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Wow an amazing journey and amazing hair! It looks like it grows really fast (*jealous* ;) ). Happy growing!

lacefrost
September 11th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Wow, amazing! I love how much fun you have with your hair. That's how it should be. And it looks great at any length!

pepperminttea
September 11th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Happy 4th LHC-iversary! :D Love the fun you're having with your hair on the way. :)

Lostsoule77
September 11th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Happy 4th anniversary! Your hair looks like it greatly improved from having found this wonderful site. I love how it looked long! It looked great short too and it must've been fun to play with colors and lengths and not worry about it. Good luck on your new long hair journey. :)

QueenJoey
September 11th, 2011, 09:23 AM
May I just say your hair grows ridiculously fast? I'm you'll have your long hair back in no time at all. Here's to experimenting!

Yozhik
September 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Happy 4 years at LHC!

Your hair certainly has had a wonderful journey, and I really enjoyed looking at all of your hair progress photos. :)

Your hair is such a pretty shade of brown. :flowers:

dementedkitten
September 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Happy 4 years!! You have obviously been on a fantastic journey and your hair is beautiful!

Good luck in the years to come :)

ericthegreat
September 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Happy 4th anniversary!!!

I admire how brave you were to take the plunge and willingly cut off all your long hair. It was beautiful when you had it long, you clearly took care of it well. But I also understand the need for change, and from reading your post you needed to have a change. And you clearly didn't regret one second of it, so I'm happy for you. Good luck on your journey growing it back, or even cutting it back short again if that's what you desire!

akuamoonmaui
September 11th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Welcome back and happy 4th! Your hair is B.U.ti.Ful long!! And I was really happy to hear that you loved short hair, too! It will make your journey a positive process rather than a torture test of endurance! The pigtails are adorable!!

oktobergoud
September 11th, 2011, 01:44 PM
As a fellow supershortie, can I just say HOLY CRAP your hair grows FAST O_O

georgia_peach
September 11th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Thank you for sharing your hair journey. Your hair is beautiful, thick and so healthy looking at all of its stages. Congratulations on your anniversary!!

jojo
September 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM
:waving::waving::waving: Hello stranger, I was only thinking of you yesterday. Your hair looks lovely either long or short and your hair grows very quickly. Aww so lovely to see you posting; i have missed you. (((welcome back hugs)))) xx

Delila
September 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I think the whole process is about self discovery. Finding out what you want, what you need, whether or not you need a change for a while, it's all part of the same journey.

I think the main thing that's changed for me since I've joined LHC is my sense of self. Sure, my hair is longer, but I'm wiser about any number of other things, and I've had a lot of fun playing with haircare and hair toys.

Whee!

Glad to see you posting again.

archel
September 11th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I love going between short and long! Isn't hair fun?

AcornMystic
September 11th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I will admit, I squeaky-gasped when my eyes fell on the pixie pics only because I was taken in by the transformation from shoulder to long and the dates of them all and fantasizing how it would be if my hair grew that fast and then bam, pixie sort of slapped me out of it.

You definitely rock short hair though. I did the same thing. I needed a change, having long hair (APL) my whole life up until grad in '07 then turned it into a pixie. Only since the past year did I realize I want long hair again and have been growing it out, save for my shaving job in a desperate attempt to rid myself of botched layering. I get sad moments, but I wouldn't take it back because I have pictures and memories to prove I experienced something not everyone can say they have and things I learned because of it.

Happy anniversary! We'll be growing out together though you're probably going to end up back where you were before I get to wear I used to be (APL).:p

Columbia River
September 11th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I'm growing my hair out too, I'm where you are. It will be fun watching you for inspiration! I find headbands a life and sanity saver for me. I need encouragement that we will get long.

xoxophelia
September 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Actually now that people mention it.. your hair really does seem to grow fast! You'll be to shoulder length and one ponytail in no time. I wish I have your growth rate :)

Mesmerise
September 11th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Wowsers your hair grows fast! That pic from April 2011 compared to now is just :bigeyes:!

Your hair was beautiful long and looked cute short. Enjoy the journey back again!

Demetrue
September 11th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Your natural hair color is so beautiful ... sigh.

pennyroyal
September 11th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Your hair is beautiful long & you look great with it short too! I love your OP & it made me smile. :) Congrats on another wonderful journey!

Unzadi
September 12th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Happy four years LHCversary - and wow, what pictures. Looks good long, short and now the in betweens. Experimenting is fun.

utdesertrunner
September 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM
What a journey! I can't believe how thick your hair got! Welcome back!

AJoifulNoise
September 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Thank you all for the lovely compliments! :flower:

My hair does grow really fast. That's one of the reasons that I was willing to cut it. I knew it wouldn't take too long to grow back. When I was maintaining the short cut I had to trim the hair around my ears after a week and a half because they would start to get covered! I couldn't go more than 4 weeks without a full trim (since I liked to keep it short enough to spike). It got to the point where I was cutting it to "holy crap!" short just so that it would be the length I wanted a week after the cut.

It's funny, now that I'm growing out again the number of conditioners in my shower has tripled. :lol:

supbanana
September 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Your hair is gorgeous and I'm stunned by your growth rate! That's pretty much all there is to say. :) Have fun growing it back!

longhairedlady
September 16th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Oh WOW! I love each and every style! :) I also cut my hair off after getting it to waist. I am now to tailbone. :) Growing hair is fun :)

lapushka
September 16th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Seems like such a pity to cut it all off, but I know what it's like when you want to. BTDT. :D
Happy re-growing!