PDA

View Full Version : Fine hairs: how do you comb/detangle ?

pixiedust
September 10th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Soo, with mine at the length it's at (flip/brushing shoulder) I find that the best/most comfortable method for me to use to detangle/comb is when I use a semi-coney leave in conditioner and detangle damp, with my head tilted foreward and upside down with a wooden comb.

I guess right now I would consider my hair 1/ii thickness because it's so heavily layered still from the pixie, but it's probably closer to ii/iii from the ears up (where, since I've been trimming, has all become one length). I'm guessing this method might not be ideal once my layers grow out.

I want to know what other fineys like to do to detangle, regardless of your length or thickness. Don't spare any details ;) Also, if there are ways you've tried to detangle in the past that didn't work as well/not at all, I'd like to hear about that also, and why it didn't work for you.

dRummie
September 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I finger comb soaking wet with cone-free conditioner. But my hair doesn't really tangle much, so it's more for spreading the conditioner than for detangling proper. I actually think even if I just ran water through it for a bit, it'd detangle itself, though I haven't tried this :P

Just about the only thing I won't do is try to comb wet hair that doesn't have conditioner in it. It's too grabby that way, and feels like I'll pull or break hairs.

MissManda
September 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I have fine hair and what works best for me is to either fingercomb or use my Tangle Teezer. I also own an afro pick that has two rows of very long teeth that seems to work okay, too.

For some reason, most types of combs don't work with my hair at all, even most wide-toothed ones. It seems like they always miss the tangles and I wind up fingercombing anyway. They also break and snap my hapr like crazy, which is no fun. A BBB does a better job at detangling my hair than combs do. :p

islandboo
September 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
When my hair is wet I finger comb to apply conditioner and use a horn comb to detangle after toweldrying. Dry, I detangle with a tangle teezer.

moon2dove
September 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I also finger comb my hair when dry. In the morning I take my hair down- part it in the middle, with my fingers - Do left and right sides - Bend forward finger brush - comb starting at bottom. Usually no tangles as I'm combing. I never comb after my hair wash or finger comb. I seperate hair in shower and leave it. I don't do anything with it until next morning :)
I can't use wide toothed combs either, they seem to miss my tangles too.
Before I use to just brush my tangles out A nO NoOOOO.!

Audrey Horne
September 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I detangle dry (mostly) with a comb, starting from the very bottom and working my way up. It's quite rare that my hair is very very tangly, though. Maybe because it's either up or braided 90% of the time.
Conditioner helps very well if there are knots and serious tangles.

Toiréasa
September 10th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I have fine hair too,I finger comb when wet I bend to the right and to the left and then forward it takes all but a minute or two to do. My hair dose not tangle much so its pretty easy for me very rarely do I use a comb and when I do it wooden.

sweet*things
September 10th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I comb with a wide toothed horn comb while my hair is dripping wet. If I get distracted and it gets too "dry" I then have to wait until it's completely dry and pick out the tangles, or just rewet it and start over, depends on how busy my day is.

Lianna
September 10th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Wide/medium tooth comb on towel dried hair, or when dry, tangle teezer. Both ways glide smoothly. Can't use a comb on dry hair or I'll break it.

annieangel149
September 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM
yep! I finger comb first and then i use the andrew barton frizz easing brush! i cant stop the habit from working from scalp downwards but when i meet resistance i go very carefully! my hair is not too tangly though because im a girl who uses cones :)

sun-kissed
September 10th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I let my hair drip-dry after washing, and wait as long as possible to comb, since my hair tends to break if I comb wet. I don't ever really have trouble with tangles, and if I do I lightly run the comb along the hair until they all fall out. I use a wide-tooth plastic comb, and after detangling I'll flip my hair over and comb it away from my scalp. I then flip it back over, comb down, and style as I like with my BBB.

Jezerellica
September 10th, 2011, 03:42 PM
When wet, I use a super soft giant mans Tshirt and carefully blot. The ends dry pretty quickly, so I use a leave-in with cones. Then finger comb very carefully. As it dries using a wooden wide tooth comb, I just take my time starting at the ends. If I don't have time to be careful, I do not wash. Rushing seems to be my worst enemy with combing at any time! It is better to just put it up and take my time later. HTH.

NotInPortland
September 10th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I usually do a gentle finger detangling if it's really tangled up (and believe me my hair can get serious tangles haha) and then I use my tangle teezer. Sometimes I detangle doing this in the shower when my hair is covered in conditioner but my hair seems to tangle up again while drying so I also do it when it's damp and then when it's dry too whenever it's needed. Normally if it's tangled but not too badly I just use my tangle teezer. That thing is an absolute god send, before I was using a wide toothed wooden comb and de-tangling took forever.

Madora
September 10th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I always dreaded detangling in the shower because I had(have) thick, long hair:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=87275

Before I learned the GM principles of long hair care, I used to detangle with a narrow tooth comb (from the top down to the ends).

After reading Mr. Michael's book, and some experimenting on my own, I found the happy medium for detangling (both wet and dry).

Dry:

1) Bent at the waist, all hair in front of you like a curtain
2) Take a SMALL, thin segment of hair, and using a wide tooth comb, and starting at the ends, slowly comb out a few inches, then move the comb up a few inches and comb again. Repeat until you reach the scalp.

3) Take another small, thin section and repeat the steps until all hair has been detangled.

4) Then brush your hair thoroughly.

5) If you don't brush, then simply part your hair from nape to forehead so that it is in two sections.

6) Hold the ends of the hair on the right with your right hand. Repeat for the left hand side.

7) Stand erect.

8) Put your right hand over your right shoulder and release the strands down your back. Repeat with the left hand side. Do NOT throw/toss/flip your hair over your shoulder! This only creates more tangles. Style as desired.

WET HAIR: Detangle while it is full of conditioner, as described above.

The thing to remember is to do the detangling in small, thin segments and go slowly! You can't detangle properly if you're in a hurry!

pixiedust
September 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I comb with a wide toothed horn comb while my hair is dripping wet. If I get distracted and it gets too "dry" I then have to wait until it's completely dry and pick out the tangles, or just rewet it and start over, depends on how busy my day is.

Haha, I'm the very same way !

pixiedust
September 10th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I always dreaded detangling in the shower because I had(have) thick, long hair:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=87275

Before I learned the GM principles of long hair care, I used to detangle with a narrow tooth comb (from the top down to the ends).

After reading Mr. Michael's book, and some experimenting on my own, I found the happy medium for detangling (both wet and dry).

Dry:

1) Bent at the waist, all hair in front of you like a curtain
2) Take a SMALL, thin segment of hair, and using a wide tooth comb, and starting at the ends, slowly comb out a few inches, then move the comb up a few inches and comb again. Repeat until you reach the scalp.

3) Take another small, thin section and repeat the steps until all hair has been detangled.

4) Then brush your hair thoroughly.

5) If you don't brush, then simply part your hair from nape to forehead so that it is in two sections.

6) Hold the ends of the hair on the right with your right hand. Repeat for the left hand side.

7) Stand erect.

8) Put your right hand over your right shoulder and release the strands down your back. Repeat with the left hand side. Do NOT throw/toss/flip your hair over your shoulder! This only creates more tangles. Style as desired.

WET HAIR: Detangle while it is full of conditioner, as described above.

The thing to remember is to do the detangling in small, thin segments and go slowly! You can't detangle properly if you're in a hurry!

Thank you for taking the time to post this! I might adopt this method, because it's kind of like what I do now except my comb has wide(ish)teeth. I'll give it a try, and meanwhile I'll bookmark this somewhere. :D

ps, lovely hair!

Rocket22
September 10th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I use a comb. Anytime I can I will let it air dry and try not to comb or touch it at all. helps with giving it a little more body when I finally do comb it out.

Madora
September 10th, 2011, 04:55 PM
@Pixiedust...I forgot to say that I use a wide tooth comb. My method may seem time consuming, but it really cuts down on damaged, broken hairs when detangling. You have to be extra cautious when detangling wet hair, because hair is weakest when wet.

emelnd
September 10th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Do you have to order the tangle teezer or is it sold in stores?

Honestwitness
September 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I got my Tangle Teezer at Sally's. It is the gentlest possible method of de-tangling my very fragile hair.

I also got a Tangle Teezer for my three-year-old granddaughter's parents to use on her. They praised it exuberantly after using it the very first time. It had gotten so bad that the little girl wouldn't let them touch her hair. Now she's very cooperative when they brush her hair. You ought to see her hair. It's gorgeous! It's waist length, probably 1B, M, iii. She was running in the back yard the other day with her hair loose. She looks like a little princess. She puts her little hands under it and lets the hair drape over her forearms as she holds it out of the way, so she can see where she's going. I felt like I was in a dream while I watched her play, last Saturday.

shellblue1
September 10th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I spray a leave-in conditioner on my hair, then put a creamier leave-in conditioner on top of it. I then use my tangle teezer to get out most of the tangles, which is followed by my wide toothed comb to get out the rest.

emelnd
September 11th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I got my Tangle Teezer at Sally's. It is the gentlest possible method of de-tangling my very fragile hair.

I also got a Tangle Teezer for my three-year-old granddaughter's parents to use on her. They praised it exuberantly after using it the very first time. It had gotten so bad that the little girl wouldn't let them touch her hair. Now she's very cooperative when they brush her hair. You ought to see her hair. It's gorgeous! It's waist length, probably 1B, M, iii. She was running in the back yard the other day with her hair loose. She looks like a little princess. She puts her little hands under it and lets the hair drape over her forearms as she holds it out of the way, so she can see where she's going. I felt like I was in a dream while I watched her play, last Saturday.

Thank you! I will see if there is a Sally's up here in Vancouver, probably there is.

MandyBeth
September 11th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Tangle Teezer and Greyhound metal dog combs. TT is fast, easy and doesn't snap hairs. The combs take forever to work out the tangles, but no snaps with them. Wood, horn, anything else, used wet, damp or dry snaps hair.

pixiedust
September 11th, 2011, 10:27 AM
@Pixiedust...I forgot to say that I use a wide tooth comb. My method may seem time consuming, but it really cuts down on damaged, broken hairs when detangling. You have to be extra cautious when detangling wet hair, because hair is weakest when wet.

It does seem time consuming, and even at just barely shoulder length it still can take around half an hour to detangle. I always used to rip through it with a brush when wet (one of those round brushes with boar bristles and those nobby plastic teeth, yikes!), so when it got longer it looked thin(ish) and frizzy. Now, I'm wearing it in a whirl part (like a lot of men do) because otherwise I look like sideshow bob, haha.

But anyway, I don't mind time consuming hair rituals. I find them relaxing (:

Apriori
September 11th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I detangle with my fingers first and then use a wooden comb. If it's very tangled I put a bit of coconut oil in it first but normally it really doesn't tangle all that much :)

pixiedust
September 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM

I had NO idea Sally's had tangle teezers! I've been DYING to try one out! :thud:

Gonna g look that up right now ;)

BeccaAngel
September 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM
My hair is fine as well and loves to tangle especially when i shampoo it, that's why conditioner is my best friend!

chickpea
September 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I detangle in the shower with my hair full of conditioner, using my fingers and then a Madora comb. If I need to detangle my hair when it's dry, I finger comb first with a drop of two of oil then use the Madora comb or a wooden bristle brush.

jojo
September 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I have very fine hair and for me I use a kids detangling spray and start from the bottom with a wide toothed comb, it takes quite a while. On wash days I use lots of conditioner and then comb from the bottom again whilst rinsing it out, then I let it dry until its damp and spray the detangling spray and comb through once more. My hair used to like oil on the ends when shorter and this helped but its so tangly nowadays it needs cones to help, which also destroys the wave some.

lastnite
September 12th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I wait till it's dry, sometimes washing it at night and combing it in the morning. I finger comb and use the Body Shop's wooden comb. Sometimes if my hair has lint or dandruff in it I'll use my tangle teezer to get it out... tangle teezer works good for that as well as getting lose hairs, but not for my main detangling.

Anje
September 12th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I usually add a drop or two of oil to my hair post-wash, after I've taken it down from the towel turban. Then I carefully, slowly detangle it with a Tangle Teezer while standing upright, starting at the ends. I rarely use any other leave-ins, since they tend to make my hair feel more grabby rather than slippery (silicones even do this to me, though it takes a day or two before that quality sets in). Between washes, I detangle at least morning and night, usually with the TT and no additional oil. I also detangle before showering, but there's something about washing that gets the hair looped around itself and lying strangely enough that I like to re-organize it post-wash. I haven't managed to break myself of that habit yet.