PDA

View Full Version : protein treatments

Joylene
September 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I was wondering how the LHC feels about protein treatments...

Necessary or not? Only for damaged hair?

Also, what type do you find to be the best? Something commercial like aphogee or emergence...or something more natural and homemade?

Thank you ladies!!
:D

Shelly
September 10th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I do protein treatments for strength and I use Profectiv Mega Growth Growth Conditioner. My hair loves them as long as I follow it up with a moisturizing treatment. Some people's hair done like protein treatments all. That's just one of the many things to experiment with to find out if your hair likes them or not.

archel
September 10th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Yep, my hair is sorta-virgin (colored, but only with Lush henna), and it hate hate HATES protein. I bought a Rusk protein treatment and even when moisturizing afterwards, it gets crunchy. Luckily it was only $3 at Marshalls. I think I'm gonna swap it to someone who needs protein (I needed it when I used box dye, but my hair is totally different now).

Idjit
September 10th, 2011, 01:18 PM
My hair quite likes protein. I use either neutral protein filler from sallys mixed with water and spritzed on hair for a light hit of protein or I make a gelatin protein treatment I found on the naturallycurly website. I've heard it works just like Aphogee 2 step without the smell.

julierockhead
September 10th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Here is a great article about protein treatments, moisture treatments, and how to tell when/if you need them.
http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html#.Tmu4na5biRm

Lianna
September 10th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Not "necessary". Depends on the hair. If a strand of hair, while being stretched, snaps too quickly or stretches too much, not reverting to its previous form, you need protein. My hair personally hates protein, and it's chemically altered. "All dyed/chemically straightened hair needs protein" assertive is definally false.