PDA

View Full Version : How is this worn?

Venefica
September 10th, 2011, 09:36 AM
This is a hair toy in an antique style from China, but how in the world is this thing attached to ones hair and worn?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-9-Hongshan-Jade-Horse-Hoof-Hair-Decoration-500g-/180712595076

julierockhead
September 10th, 2011, 09:51 AM
This is a hair toy in an antique style from China, but how in the world is this thing attached to ones hair and worn?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-9-Hongshan-Jade-Horse-Hoof-Hair-Decoration-500g-/180712595076

Hahahaha my first WTF? moment of the day.

I've NO IDEA how that could be used...it is certainly not attractive, but if it is carved from jade then it was meant to be seen, probably...weird.

rusika1
September 10th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Hmm. It has a little hole on the side at the narrow end, so it probably has a matching hole on the other side?

I'm guessing the hair gets threaded through the narrow end and tied in place with a cord (which has been passed through those two holes.).

I also have a feeling they might be intended as mane or tail decorations for a horse.

ETA: Nope. For people evidently. I found this on an auction house site:

Description: Two Chinese serpentine 'horse-hoof' hair ornaments, possibly Hongshan Culture (4,000-3,000 B.C.), the taller of white tone with black speckles and calcification, 6.1cm, the second green with russet-brown inclusions, 4.8cm. This distinct shape has been labelled 'horse hoof' or mati by Chinese archaeologists excavating Hongshan cultural sites in Liaoning and northern Hebei provinces. They are now thought to be some kind of hair ornament, as they have been found under or next to the head of the occupants of Hongshan tombs.

Re ETA: I wonder if these were ornaments for men. I also wonder if they were worn on top of the head to form a topknot, as opposed to a pony tail cover. Either way, I'm pretty sure those are replicas, not originals.

There's a mati (or horse hoof) here, but look at the first pretty on the page!http://thejewelryloupe.com/ancient-chinese-hair-ornaments-for-sale/

Auburn_locks
September 10th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Maybe you slide it onto a ponytail and then poke a stick through those holes to keep it in place? :confused: Very strange!

Venefica
September 10th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Thank you all for the replies guys. I am with Auburn on this, but looking on the other designs on the page Rusika posted I am leaning towards these having to be put over a bun of some sort and then have a pin poked through the holes to attach them. I to think these are replicas, but they are still interesting, if very, very weird, at least to my modern eyes.

swearnsue
September 10th, 2011, 11:05 AM
It's too plain to be a hair ornament. My guess is that the head of the deceased person was placed on it for the funeral or wake. Used instead of a pillow like European cultures.

Auburn_locks
September 10th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I wonder if these were ornaments for men. I also wonder if they were worn on top of the head to form a topknot, as opposed to a pony tail cover.

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that. It might explain why it is quite plain as well. It would probably be more intricate if it were for a woman :)

Venefica
September 10th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Not all hair ornaments is ornate, remember these items, or rather the originals is very old, and while there are amazing pieces of art from those times, the common man and woman wore plain items. Also jade is beautiful, depending on the type of jade it have swirls and spots and is definitively decorative, also this could have been a part of a larger way to decorate ones hair with multiple pieces where it might be to much if each piece where very ornate.

tuanyiji
November 2nd, 2022, 11:29 AM
It’s weird to reply to this many years later.
But there are some arguments about its usage.
Most of the Chinese articles I read back the idea of a bun-holder for men. In ancient Chinese, when a man reached the age of 20, he had to bun his hair up as a rite of passage. There is even a specific word for this, 弱冠/young man bun/20yo. Though jade was considered very valuable so only rich nobles could possess it.
But then a small number of text also said depending on where they were located in the tomb, they might be some kind of wrist band.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2022, 11:53 AM
Very interesting!!! :)

MusicalSpoons
November 2nd, 2022, 12:45 PM
There's a mati (or horse hoof) here, but look at the first pretty on the page!http://thejewelryloupe.com/ancient-chinese-hair-ornaments-for-sale/

Not hair-related but the white Jade pendant on that page is absolutely beautiful! I am enthralled by the beauty of the stone :crush: