PDA

View Full Version : My hair has thinned out over the years, is this normal?

vaughner
September 10th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Throughout middle school to high school I had Pretty thick hair that I used to get thinned out in the salon. I noticed my hair has gotten noticeably thinner throughout college. It's not coming out in clumps or anything, there are no bald patches on my head, I eat pretty healthy, and I don't dye my hair/chemically do anything to it. Occasionally I use heat but I don't notice a lot of hair falling out when I do, just like 8 strands or so. I'm only in my 20's. Is it normal to shed this much throughout 5 years? :(

Roseate
September 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I think it's normal for hair to change thickness over time. I had thin, fine hair as a kid, then it got very coarse and thick in my teens, and has gotten gradually thinner ever since then.

Hormonal changes as we age probably have something to do with it; unless it's a dramatic change very fast I wouldn't worry!

ericthegreat
September 10th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Well if you are worried at all about your overall health, you could go see your doctor for blood work and check your iron levels. I'm not saying that you actually are, but just in case if you happen to be deficient in any key minerals or vitamins like iron, zinc, or vitamin D, then eventually it will show up in your body, skin, and yes of course the thinning of your hair.

Also like Roseate said, hormonal changes also greatly effect what happens to our bodies. Again, you may want to go see a doctor if it concerns you that much.

lastnite
September 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM
same here.. I had thick hair in my teens, then in my late teens and on to my 20s it's thinned out to almost half of what it was. Not sure if it was all the chemicals and heat abuse I did to it or hormones. Doesn't hurt to see a doctor if you can..lots of thing can cause hair to thin.

jaine
September 10th, 2011, 09:43 AM
There are lots of reasons why hair can change texture. I don't know what caused yours but I think I know why mine changed - I became gluten free. Around spring of 2010 I noticed that about half of my shed hairs had coarse hair near the end and a sudden switch to fine hair near the root ... and it was always 1/2" for each month past January 2010. That was 1 month after I changed my diet and became gluten-free. It was a significant difference ... enough to take me from iii to ii even though I still have the same number of hairs, they're just finer.

Babyfine
September 10th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Same thing happened to me between the ages of 20-25 , I seemed to loose some volume-maybe about 1/3 to 1/4 of my hair. Like you I noticed no big sheds, no bald patches-just finer and staighter hair than what I had had in high school.
My hair has always been very fine, but stylists would tell me Iwas lucky that it was abundant- in high school. Then in my late 20's they started telling me my hair was fine and not a lot of it, either.(thin) At that time I would get spiral perms to bump up the volume(it was the 80's and 90's)
Still don't know to this day if it was hormones, diet, hormonal BC, don't know.
The good news is my hair is no thinner now than when I was about 25 -30 years ago.(minus the perm, of course). I hope it stays this way.

eta: like Eric said you could get your blood levels checked out to make sure something else isn't going on.

luxepiggy
September 10th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I had almost the exact same experience - thick hair when I was younger, thinning out in my late teens to my current i-ii hair now (^(oo)^)v

ilovelonghair
September 10th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I noticed that when I was in high school nearly everybody had thick hair and I had sad hair LOL. One of my friends had so much hair, it was very heavy. When I last saw her she was in her 20s and had limp greasy hair that was even thinner than mine. I don't know what caused it.
I did noticed when I was in my 20's that there were so much less people my age with thick hair as there were in highschool. Very strange. My own hair has improved while I got older.
Nowadays it is very hard to see what hairtype people have since it's fashion to thin it out badly and process it to the limit:confused:. But there is one good thing: makes my hair looks thicker in comparisson :p:D:cheese: (that is so mean of me! but with all my hair problems lately I need to feel a little better about it)