PDA

View Full Version : Hair knots at top - help please

Lilli
September 10th, 2011, 06:06 AM
My hair knots at the top front when I wash it, but I can't/won't put conditioner there because my hair is so fine that it would make it lank. I can't comb it when it is wet, but if I don't, it is even more tangled when dry. It is breaking off there (the front is always jaw length, even though the rest is APL.) Any ideas?

longcurlygirl<3
September 10th, 2011, 07:07 AM
maybe have a good dry combing or fingercombing before showering. Even when I shampoo and the running water is falling on m scalp I finger comb a bit even on top gently.

wooliswonderful
September 10th, 2011, 07:44 AM
What is your washing/pre-washing technique?
I used to be ever so tangled post shower but since combing/fingercombing pre-shower like longcurlygirl recommended above I haven't had a problem.
Also maybe a light oil would help?

Madora
September 10th, 2011, 08:07 AM
My hair knots at the top front when I wash it, but I can't/won't put conditioner there because my hair is so fine that it would make it lank. I can't comb it when it is wet, but if I don't, it is even more tangled when dry. It is breaking off there (the front is always jaw length, even though the rest is APL.) Any ideas?

I'm at a loss to understand why your hair would be lank if you used conditioner. Are you sure you're rinsing enough, and ending with a final cold rinse?

What you might do is dilute both your shampoo and conditioner.

Your hair washing method plays a part in whether your hair tangles a lot or not.

Since your hair is short I don't know if the following method will help, but here goes:

1) Detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb and brush it thoroughly

2) Part your hair from nape to forehead so that you have two sections. Take one section and band it with a scrunchie.

3) Wet all your hair then shampoo one side as follows:

Use your fingers to gently distribute the shampoo through your scalp and hair. To decrease possibility of tangles, move your fingers in one direction at a time..i.e. top to bottom, then from temple to back of head, then top of crown down to nape. Do not "scrub" your hair so that it's all mooshed together on top of your head! When you're through shampooing one side of your head, band it with a scrunchie and then undo the other section and repeat.

Rinsing: Use the same procedure above -- keep the sections separate.

I repeat the shampooing process again - this time concentrating on massaging the shampoo on to my scalp...again, in one direction at a time as outlined above.

Rinsing:

Try and keep the strands as straight as you can when rinsing. If you have a hand held device you'll find rinsing is a lot easier than just standing under the showerhead.

Detangling hair when wet:

Only when it is full of conditioner! Do it slowly, taking small sections and working from the ends and up the strands.

Lastly, I would recommend that you cut back on the washing. Your hair will suffer in the long run because the natural oils in it will be depleted (unless you add something back).

Hope this helps. PS I shampoo and rinse in the bent at the waist position. Good luck!

Lilli
September 10th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Thank you for all the feedback and advice. This morning, I diluted my shampoo and tried to just work it in at the roots without moving it around at all. This was hard to do at the back, so I think doing it upside down would help a lot.

I also did put conditioner on the top. Too much softness from conditioner makes it limp and flat. It is just that fine and slippery. I figured it was better to be limp than broken, though.