PDA

View Full Version : So..does anyone else henna their eyebrows?

neenerbabe
June 30th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I love having henna'd brows, and was wondering if any other henna heads out there do their brows too. If you do, how do you do it, and have you ever heard about any dangers associated with it? I've never had a problem, and have never gotten henna in my eyes or anything. (I like my mix thick, not runny.) I just squirt a line over each eyebrow, and cover with good old scotch tape and leave it on for a few hours as I'm henna-ing my hair. Have a glorious orange glow on the skin for a day but I'm a stay-at-home mom, so I can be a hermit till it fades off my skin. :eyebrows:

Euphony
June 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I've tried, but there was no difference. At an LHC meet someone mentioned that it probably doesn't take on my eyebrows since my eyebrows are nearly black. So my eyebrows always make me look like I color my hair (or bleach it) even when my hair is it's natural color :sad

Nightshade
June 30th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I used to henna mine :) I have to use 100% straight henna, though, not my cassia/henna blend, it just isn't potent enough.

Also, I'd reccomend cleaning your eyebrows with rubbing alcohol first, to get any oil off. Then apply the henna, and stick pieces of saran wrap over them (they'll stick all by themselves).

I gave it up and went to an orange pencil because, frankly, it didn't last long enough to be worth the effort. I'd have to rehenna them every weekend :(

Celebrian
June 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I do mine when I remember!

I take a little henna, mix with little bit of hot water and a little conditioner. Apply to each eyebrow in layers (about three) with a cotton bud or old masacra wand, until I look like Groucho Marx. I never use tape - just leave it as it is. The conditioner seems to hold it safely in place, and I (personally) never get 'crumblies'. Leave about an hour, wipe off with well dampened cotton wool pads. Mix a little indigo with a little water and conditioner. Apply as I did the henna. Leave about one hour.... remove as for the henna.

The skin beneath and around my brows can get a little itchy whilst the mix dries on, and feel that way afterwards too - so once it's all off, I clean the area well, and apply moisturiser.

I much prefer the the effect to that of conventional brow dyes.

Result? Rich dark brows that hold for a good fortnight.

Kirin
June 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I tried but it never worked except stain my skin LOL. I bleach my brows now for only a minute each with Jolene creme bleach, and an auburn pencil as nessesary

neenerbabe
June 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Mine usually stay red for at least a month, then they fade. They REALLY fade if I use any sort of benzoyl peroxide treatment for acne, so I've switched to salicyclic acid and the red lasts longer.

spidermom
June 30th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Never thought of that. I used an auburn eyebrow pencil the one time that I hennaed my hair.

Rustella
June 30th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I do! I have black eyebrows. My natural haircolor is auburn, so for me too it always looked like I colored my hair. I used to get my eyebrows dyed to match my natural haircolor. People asked me much less often if this was my natural haircolor.

Now, to have it show on my black brows, I bleach them for a few minutes first. I'm still working on perfecting the timing. I want them a little darker than my hair but not much, but still light enough for the henna to show. I leave the henna on my eyebrows just as long as I do in my hair, and I do them at the same time. Since eyebrows grow out and shed, I do have to do them more often than I have to henna my hair. Frozen henna comes in handy for this. I can just scrape a little frozen henna out and defrost it. Then I slather petroleum jelly around them. I put the henna on really thick so only the top part will dry and what's underneath will still leave color. I wash and condition out as usual, and voila! henna'd eyebrows to compliment my henna'd hair.

Isilme
July 1st, 2008, 04:48 AM
I take a bit of the mix I used for my hair if I have any leftovers and cover my eyebrows, then I put on a piece of saran wrap and keep it like that about twenty minutes. When I'm done I wash it off, with soap, the dye on my skin fades quite much if I do use soap (I rarely use any kind of soap on my face) Result, bright copper eyebrows, if I keep the mix on longer I end up with very dark red eyebrows, and that looks funny.

curly girl fla
July 1st, 2008, 05:37 AM
I have used henna on my brows each time, applying the same mix I use on my head with a q-tip, then I cut a small piece of press n seal glad wrap and plop it on top. I get better results each time, with no problems. I only wish it dyed as intensely as my hair does. Why does the hair on eyebrows not react the same as on the head and fade for so many? I wouldn't think the texture would make such a difference...?

neenerbabe
July 1st, 2008, 06:01 AM
I only wish it dyed as intensely as my hair does. Why does the hair on eyebrows not react the same as on the head and fade for so many? I wouldn't think the texture would make such a difference...?

I was thinking the same thing as well! Does anyone have any theories as to why eyebrow hair doesn't hold dye as long? :confused:

Nightshade
July 1st, 2008, 07:46 AM
Could be the oil on your face (as sometimes heavy oilings can impact henna), or it could be that because they have a tighter cuticle?

ETA: I'm such a dork.

http://www.vcbio.science.ru.nl/images/fesem_hairtip.jpg

SEM photographs showing the tip of a cat fur hair (A), a (human) eyebrow (B) and a (human) eyelash (C)

Compare to a human hair
http://www.vcbio.science.ru.nl/images/fesem_hairthumb001.jpg

Herm. Keeping in mind that the hair is magnified to 10um rather than the 5um of the eyebrow hair, I'm not sure I see too many differences :ponder:

tiny_teesha
July 1st, 2008, 08:30 AM
i hennad my eye lashes- just applied it like mascara. It didnt show much tint, but it was out of curiousity. Be careful if you try this- i was and nothing went in my eye but be careful! :) i'd imagine it would feel like sand!

Starr
July 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM
:confused: It never even occured to me to henna my brows. . . maybe it's because my hair and eyebrows are both so dark that it wouldn't make a difference anyways.

neenerbabe
July 1st, 2008, 09:35 AM
Could be the oil on your face (as sometimes heavy oilings can impact henna), or it could be that because they have a tighter cuticle?

ETA: I'm such a dork.

http://www.vcbio.science.ru.nl/images/fesem_hairtip.jpg

SEM photographs showing the tip of a cat fur hair (A), a (human) eyebrow (B) and a (human) eyelash (C)

Compare to a human hair
http://www.vcbio.science.ru.nl/images/fesem_hairthumb001.jpg

Herm. Keeping in mind that the hair is magnified to 10um rather than the 5um of the eyebrow hair, I'm not sure I see too many differences :ponder:
Yeah, they do look pretty much alike. I'm leaning towards the oil theory, too. And the cat fur pic gave me a mental flash of someone trying to henna a cat....that's a funny thought! :p

Nightshade
July 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM
Actually, if I remember right, someone on the old boards did henna their cat or their dog, just a spot :)

Islandgrrl
July 1st, 2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah, they do look pretty much alike. I'm leaning towards the oil theory, too. And the cat fur pic gave me a mental flash of someone trying to henna a cat....that's a funny thought! :p

Same mental image of a cat covered with henna.....weird.

I do henna my eyebrows. They actually show that way. I use a little left over henna, apply with a cotton swab and cover with little bits of plastic wrap. And then I try really hard to not allow anyone to see me for an hour.

neenerbabe
July 1st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Same mental image of a cat covered with henna.....weird.

I do henna my eyebrows. They actually show that way. I use a little left over henna, apply with a cotton swab and cover with little bits of plastic wrap. And then I try really hard to not allow anyone to see me for an hour.
LOL! The first time my hubby saw me with my groucho marx, henna covered brows he was speechless. And when the henna came off and he saw the red halo on the skin around my brows he teased me relentlessly. However, he supports my henna habit so I allow a bit of ribbing, lol.

Missa
July 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM
I henna my eyebrows the same time I do my roots. I only wait 3 to 4 hours for dye release, as vancouver water is acidic or does something to activate dye release fast. Then I put some of my mix (half henna/half conditioner) on my eyebrows with a Q-tip and cover with little squares of saran wrap for about 20 to 30 minutes. I make sure not to leave it longer otherwise it will get dark red, and I want light copper. My eyebrows are naturally light brown with some blonde hairs interspursed. It dyes my skin only slightly because of the half conditioner. With some soap and scrubbing my skin is white again. This keeps my eyebrows copper for about a month as they grow and fade.
It might work better for me because I am naturally a redhead/light auburn head and my eyebrows have some copper to them already.

Dark Rosaleen
July 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM
I've thought about doing this, but I'm too chicken. Though we are coming up on a Holiday and I need to pull out some henna to do my roots...hmm.

Velouria
July 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM
I do mine about once every 3 weeks, more often than I do my roots. My eyebrows are naturally lighter than my head hair, and quite sparse. The henna darkens and thickens them as well as reddening them, and those effects last longer than the red does.

I used to use just henna mixed with strong brewed black tea (which is not the same mix as for my head) and got a more vivid copper than what my hair henna/cassia mix gives, as my eyebrows are lighter. Last time, I tried the same mix but prepared in an iron pot, and stirred frequently. I used this on my eyebrows and my hairline (which is also lighter than the rest of my hair) and got a darker, browner copper.

I think the more temporary effect on eyebrows is because eyebrow hairs have a very short life (growth/shed) cycle, and of course the oil factor.

toodramatik
July 2nd, 2008, 01:17 AM
this is the only reason I don't want to henna my hair =( because I have jet black eyebrows that grow really fast and I don't htink i could henna every day o_o

squiggyflop
July 7th, 2008, 11:10 AM
ive hennaed my eyebrows before.. i dont know if ill do it again because it left my skin orange.. my eyebrows have always been a different color than my hair even when my hair was virgin auburn.. people dont question the fact that my eyebrows are a different color.. and most people assume that my henna red is my natural color.. when i tell people that the henna isnt my natural color people are surprised because of my readhead coloring.. and i reply that my natural color is reddish.. im not sure if anyone even notices my eyebrows..

Oskimosa
July 7th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I tried it, but I didn't prep them, so I didn't get any color at ALL. Gotta try it again. I might even need to bleach them first. It's the stupidest thing how my eyebrows are brown and my hair is naturally blonde. Erm, now hennaed.

Delenn
July 7th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I do my eyebrows when I remember to do them. Really... I'm *that* lazy, lol!

kwaniesiam
July 7th, 2008, 01:01 PM
So has anyone attempted to slightly bleach their eyebrows (I'm not talking like making them blonde, but leave on a bleach for a little while to weaken and damage the cuticle) in order to help the henna take? I'm considering it, I've got some bleach and henna lying around and I'm also contemplating hennaing again once my hair is all virgin again.

Oskimosa
July 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM
So has anyone attempted to slightly bleach their eyebrows (I'm not talking like making them blonde, but leave on a bleach for a little while to weaken and damage the cuticle) in order to help the henna take? I'm considering it, I've got some bleach and henna lying around and I'm also contemplating hennaing again once my hair is all virgin again.

I'm right with you, kwaniesiam. But I've got 30vol sitting under the bathroom sink, and I'm deathly scared of what that might do to the skin around my eyes. Perhaps I could dilute it? Or, even better, could I honey lighten first? What a stickler for natural methods I would feel like...

Riot Crrl
July 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Careful of getting bleach/peroxide fumes in your eyes.

When treating eyebrows with anything, including henna, might I suggest swim goggles? Of the type that seal around the eye socket below the eyebrow?

I've been considering hennaing my eyebrows, and they should be light enough to take without pre-lightening. Hmm, now to find some of my swim goggles.

kwaniesiam
July 8th, 2008, 10:21 PM
That's a great idea, Riot Crrl. If I decide to give the bleach a try (I might do it anyway, my eyebrows are way darker than my natural color and it bothers me because I've dyed them black in the past to match) I will definitely use the swim goggles just to be safe.

redtea
July 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
My eyebrows are medium brown and the only thing henna has ever done for my eyebrows is change my skin underneath. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but my eyebrows have always been one of the defining features of my face, so when I change them dramatically, it really freaks me out. If I feel like making my brows a little more reddish (they tend to be on the ashy side) I just mix up a tiny bit of haircolor and leave it on a few minutes. If my brows were to end up too light or too red, it would really bother me, so I always feel like the haircolor lets me control things a little better. I guess it kind of defeats the purpose of using henna, but considering that I'm a bit of a haircolor addict, only using a little bit now and then is good for me :D

Nightshade
July 10th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Swim goggles are a great idea!

Good lord, first my Jawa Hat (http://www.tk409.com/images/jawa/jawa_pattern.gif) (what I put over my saran wrapped hair) and then goggles. My fiance will truly think I've lost my mind :D

If anyone tries the bleaching thing, I'd love to hear how it goes :)

neenerbabe
July 10th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Swim goggles are a great idea!

Good lord, first my Jawa Hat (http://www.tk409.com/images/jawa/jawa_pattern.gif) (what I put over my saran wrapped hair) and then goggles. My fiance will truly think I've lost my mind :D

If anyone tries the bleaching thing, I'd love to hear how it goes :)

LOL, just looked at your Jawa hat and couldn't stop giggling. If you henna your brows I dare you to post a photo of you in all your finery.:D:D:D

Nightshade
July 10th, 2008, 07:43 PM
LOL, just looked at your Jawa hat and couldn't stop giggling. If you henna your brows I dare you to post a photo of you in all your finery.:D:D:D

:spitting: Oh no. It'd take more than a dare to get me to buckle to THAT request :lol: I do have a -smidge- of dignity.

neenerbabe
July 11th, 2008, 06:07 AM
:spitting: Oh no. It'd take more than a dare to get me to buckle to THAT request :lol: I do have a -smidge- of dignity.Aw, bummer, was really looking forward to it too, lol.:roll:

curly girl fla
July 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I henna'd with Catherine's for AA hair, and did my eyebrows again. Prior to applying, I didn't bleach them, but cleaned them with regular peroxide. The color took pretty well-better than before, but it's hard to say if that was because of the cleaning or using a more potent henna. Hopefully, the reddish highlight will last until my next root application...

rach
September 13th, 2009, 10:40 AM
ok today i decided to give this a try with pure henna with lemon juice and warm water. i've just done my hair and now i have two bits or cling film with selotape holding it in place . feeling rather silly a present .
before pic -
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/henna/th_henneeyes.jpg
occasionally has bugged me slightly when i have freshly hennaed hair. always calms down in a few days anyway but, i'll give this a go. grow quickly enough if it's not right.
picture of it now- no laughing !!!
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/henna/th_eyebrow.jpg
i'll post a pic when it's done........

rach
September 13th, 2009, 11:31 AM
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/henna/eyebrows.jpg
:cool:
actually quite difficult to see but i found a picture which picked it up and taking into consideration that some of my skin has also been dyed here.

csm--carla
September 13th, 2009, 11:39 AM
This looks GREAT!

I never tried peroxide bleaching my eyebrows first. Henna does not work on my eyebrows.

I will try this next time!

rach
September 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM
i didn't use bleaching by the way . thought i'd clarify that.

CelticAngel
September 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I am using henna on my eyebrows right now as I also have a head full of henna too! I hope it works, cause I have very dark almost black eyebrows. I just wiped it on with a gloved finger, and so far no drips.

Fethenwen
September 15th, 2009, 01:44 AM
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/henna/eyebrows.jpg
:cool:
actually quite difficult to see but i found a picture which picked it up and taking into consideration that some of my skin has also been dyed here.
Wow! That looks beautiful! I think this really got me convinced of trying this too.
I have naturally quite light brown/auburn brows. So I think hennaing them would not be such a bad idea.

rach
September 15th, 2009, 03:29 AM
actually getting used to it now.....
i really quite like it :D
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/henna/th_eye.jpg
different picture , calmed down abit more now but you can still see the red tint.

Lyndistine
September 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
actually getting used to it now.....
i really quite like it :D
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/henna/th_eye.jpg
different picture , calmed down abit more now but you can still see the red tint.
You have absolutely beautiful eyes! I think the color goes well with your eye color, too.