PDA

View Full Version : Any Other Dirt Bike Riders?

Eden75
September 9th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Just wondering if there are any other long hairs out there who ride dirt bikes. If so, what do you do with your hair? Mine is to thick to put under my helmet or in a skull cap. I braid it and let it hang down inside my chest protector but if it ever decides to come out of there during a wipe out, a scalping is a very real possibility because of the rear tire and chain.

Any ideas?

DakarNick
September 9th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I have a dual sport (KTM 950 Adventure) but have short hair so I can't help. But I see your dilemma.

luthein
September 10th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I got a Yamaha Enduro that's 10 years older than me. It's not really a dirtbike, more of a trail bike... but It kind of counts, right?

A scrub cap or helmet liner with a pocket that sits outside of your helmet would contain your hair. There's another thread going on about riding (not dirtbike specific) but I think you could get good ideas there. I posted a video about the Diva-Do helmet liner there.

I like my hair completely wrapped up, so any sort of scarf/bun cover works for my tangle-prone hair. Anything else has been too damaging.

Man, I'd love a bike that could be more aggressive on dirt. My DT-125 is in excellent condition and I never get it dirty (I have photos in my album.) Beats the purpose, right?

Eden75
September 11th, 2011, 11:03 AM
lutein, thank you. I didn't know there were such liners for helmets so I'll take a look. Damage is really a secondary issue to me, but if it helps with that too, great!!

I ride a KX100. She can be aggressive anywhere I want to ride and she's the perfect size for me. My bike is mint as well and she always gets dirty!! Silicone spray works to keep the bike easy to wash and looking like new. Any of the bike shops who sell parts should have some in stock. The awesome thing about the KX is if I need to replace all of her plastic, it'll cost me about $80. :D

Alacris~
September 11th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I don't dirtbike, but I do drive the motorcycle (chopper).
Nothing ever works to keep the hair safe.... I also usually braid it and put it in my jacket.. but it always seems to fly out and unravel!

So I guess I'm not helping at all right now:P

coffinhert
September 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Perhaps you could double the braid back on itself. For example, two french braids with the end brought up to the base, then the end of hte loop brought up to the base, and held in place with several elastics along the length.

melbournian
September 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I don't ride a dirt bike...yet! I'm seriously considering getting one. SO is a motorbike rider (he used to race dirt and road bikes) and is looking for a dirt bike for himself, and I'm really interested too...great to see some sisters on the bikes too!

On the topic of hair, I would go with the helmet liner. Maybe you could make one, like an oversized shower cap with a drawstring closure with some fabric hanging under the helmet, then put your hair in that and tie it shut...sorry I'm not explaining this very well!

luthein
September 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM
A KX100 would be so much fun! I can't believe how cheap the bodywork is to replace.

I found a photo of my Diva Do from the back. I went vacationing with my friends to the Smokies to ride the famous highways in the area. The photo is at Laurel Falls in Tennessee.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1V3L4CazBRc/TjYcNLbdXyI/AAAAAAAAASw/JQbiaeXTjzs/s640/IMG_1878.JPG

Cupofmilk
September 12th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I ride a dirt bike - badly but I do have one. I am afraid I like going fast - I also race cars - track and hillclimb.

Eden75
September 16th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah, the KX is cheap to fix, I've found that out already :laugh: Love the Diva Do, that's great!!

I am going to talk to my mother-in-law this weekend and see if she can sew me a helmet liner that will work. I have tried braiding but it makes the helmet uncomfortable and a double braid will probably impede how it fits. I love my hair, but not enough to risk my safety.

I use to be afraid of my bike but I'm use to it now. She's got a lot of kick and I had to learn how to control that. It only kicked me once and that was enough!!

Thanks to everyone for your responses!