PDA

View Full Version : Adding EOs to ACV rinses

YepLilly
September 9th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I have been having a lot of success with ACV rinses so far. I see some people add essential oils to them. I would love to do that for the added benefits. One part of me however wonders how water, vinegar, and oil will react together :hmm:

I'm planning to start by adding some rosemary oil drops to my mix of 1/4 cups ACV and 2 cups water. Later on I will add lavender and some other EOs. What do you all think? Any things I should take into consideration that I might be missing?

julierockhead
September 9th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Sounds like a plan!
I have not yet done an ACV rinse, although I have it, and some essential oils to play with. What is a good ratio for ACV to water? ( I have slightly hard municipal water).

YepLilly
September 9th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Many people use something like 1-3 Tbsp of ACV per cup of water. I personally use 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp) of ACV in 2 cups of water. Now I only need to buy some rosemary oil :D

Not many people have success with ACV though, I guess it all depends on everyone's hair. In my case it helps with frizz, closes the cuticles, and makes hair shine a bit.

LornaDoone
September 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Just like when you add oil to plain water, when you add EOs to a vinegar/water mix the oil tends to stay on the top. Stir really well right before you use it on your hair.

I prepare my ACV rinses in advance a quart at a time. (ACV steeped with chamomile tea with about 15 drops of EO.) I shake the bottle well before I pour a little into the bottom of the container I use in the shower. I fill up the container with water from the shower head just before I pour it on my hair. The force of the water stirs the ACV a second time.

I hope ACV rinses work out well for you, I love them. :)

swearnsue
September 10th, 2011, 08:01 PM
My concern would be having the EOs not diluted enough so that your scalp may get irritated. I'm new to EOs so I'm probably just being a dufus:)

LornaDoone
September 11th, 2011, 12:26 PM
My concern would be having the EOs not diluted enough so that your scalp may get irritated. I'm new to EOs so I'm probably just being a dufus:)

I put about 15 drops of EO into a quart of ACV. That works out to less than 1 drop per ounce. I use 1-2 ounces of ACV in 4-5 cups of water.

I figure that as long as I shake well before I pour out the 1-2 ounces, the EOs will be well distributed and diluted. :)

YepLilly
September 12th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Thank you for the advice about shaking everything up pretty well, I was also worried about applying EOs directly to my scalp.