PDA

View Full Version : Small white bulbs at the top of fallen hair?

isabelx
September 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
So I just examined a hair that'd fallen out as I was running my fingers through it noticed a small white bulb at the top of it (at the root).

I've done some research and apparently hairs that have finished their growing phase and are entering catagen/telogen move white bulb outside the shaft as they separate from the follicle.

I only have shoulder length hair and if I'm noticing these hairs noe does that mean I have a short anagen phase and won't be able to grow my hair past my shoulders?

This is where I found this information by the way: http://www.heralopecia.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1331

I really hope this is incorrect or something, I desperately want hair past my shoulders! :(

Thanks for any suggestions

Yame
September 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM
It just means it's a shed hair. Everyone sheds. Some hair sheds at different lengths. As long as you aren't shedding unusual high amounts you will be fine.

isabelx
September 9th, 2011, 11:34 AM
So you don't think these hairs had reached their maximum growing time and were in telogen?

SimplyViki
September 9th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Presumably you've cut that hair at some point. It fell out because it was done growing. If you had never cut that hair, it would most likely have been longer when it was finished growing.

tinywife
September 9th, 2011, 11:39 AM
A hair is only at its natural term length when one end tapers off, indicating that it's never been cut, and the other end has that bulb.

isabelx
September 9th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Oh dear, I don't mean to sound stupid but what do you mean by tapers off? How embarrassing :doh:

Madora
September 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM
A tapering hair is one that gradually lessens in width as it reaches the tip. Very common and nothing to be concerned about.

SimplyViki
September 9th, 2011, 11:54 AM
A hair is only at its natural term length when one end tapers off, indicating that it's never been cut, and the other end has that bulb.
Even so, I've found plenty of hairs of varying lengths over the years with tapered ends. I think they just wear into a tapered shape over time; I don't think it necessarily means it's term length. It just means it's been long enough since it was trimmed that it's been worn down a bit, giving it a tapered appearance.

QMacrocarpa
September 9th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I don't think you can draw any conclusions about what your terminal length will be from the length of hairs you are naturally shedding now, because my guess would be that the hairs being shed now have had significant length trimmed off of them during their years on your head. Length trimmed off in the past is length you don't see on those shed hairs now. I'd say there's no cause for alarm.

Roscata
September 9th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I don't think you can draw any conclusions about what your terminal length will be from the length of hairs you are naturally shedding now, because my guess would be that the hairs being shed now have had significant length trimmed off of them during their years on your head. Length trimmed off in the past is length you don't see on those shed hairs now. I'd say there's no cause for alarm.

I agree with this. So don't worry. :D

isabelx
September 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Thank you all! :D

rosek
September 10th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Even so, I've found plenty of hairs of varying lengths over the years with tapered ends. I think they just wear into a tapered shape over time; I don't think it necessarily means it's term length. It just means it's been long enough since it was trimmed that it's been worn down a bit, giving it a tapered appearance.

This is incorrect. If a hair has never been cut, it will have a taper. This is natually how hair grows. If it has been cut, it will have a blunt (or maybe split!) end. That's one of the easiest ways to tell if hair comes from an animal or a human - animal hair is usually not cut, so it will taper. Human hair has nearly always been cut, so it will not taper. Have a look at your own hair - the shorter new uncut hair will have taper, but the hair that had reached your hemline and has been cut is blunt. Also, hair on your body has a taper, because you don't cut it (except for areas where you might).

Wow, that turned into a convoluted explanation. So basically, hair grows out of your head with a tapered tip.