PDA

View Full Version : What is safest way to get curls?

ohdokey
September 9th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I have some wave in my hair, but when I want retro, smooth curls, what is the least-damaging method? Are pin curls safer than over-night sponge rollers? I'm assuming either of these are safer than heated rollers.

Chromis
September 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I'd say rag curls are the safest. Pin curls would be next up if your hair is not long enough for rag curls, but you have to be careful when removing the pins and use non-damaging ones.

spidermom
September 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I didn't notice any damage from sponge curlers, although I think they might have dried my hair out a bit, which was easily remedied with a moisture treatment.

I used to put my hair into a top-of-head ponytail and then roll the ends on sponge curlers at night when my hair was BSL. It looked really pretty the next day.

MidnightStar
September 9th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Conair makes a brand of no-heat rollers...I've forgotten the name, but I bought mine at Target. They're foamy and bendy; you wrap your hair around them and then bend them so they stay put. I use the bigger size and sleep in them when I want curls, and they hold really well and I always have nice curls the next day. :D Only caution is to be careful when wrapping your hair and then when taking it down, otherwise you could accidentally break some strands.

AcornMystic
September 9th, 2011, 02:02 PM
The safest way to get curls that I have come across is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y&list=PL5CF966896F342451&index=21

She uses a sock. There is little hair exposed, minimal contact/fussing with hairs, minimizing the amount of damage, and is just like putting it in a bun. You can sleep with it and everything. A big plus is that it is efficient. This will be my go-to method when I want curls once my hair grows longer./