PDA

View Full Version : Hair Not Growing! (rant)

YesitsReal
September 9th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Urgh!

My hair used to grow like a weed. Seriously, it averaged about an inch per month, even in the colder months, and that's when I was blow-drying and straightening all the time. For the last two years (really) my hair has been basically at a stall, and I just don't understand it. I mean, it grew a tad a few months ago, and then it just stopped again. I was hoping to be at waist length for my wedding in October, and that was a realistic goal at one time, but I'm still just below BSL. :headache: I don't have any bad damage--a few split ends--and I keep up with microtrims. I wear it up all the time to prevent damage, and I sleep on a satin pillowcase. I eat plenty of fruits, veggies, protein and fats, so I don't think it's my diet.

I am considering going back to my old shampoo/condition routine (pre-LHC) to see if that would help. I was using Garnier's pyrithione zinc shampoo, because I have seborrheic dermatitis, and a coney conditioner. I don't want to kill my hair, though, and I'm kind of afraid to use Monistat, because of the headache potential.

I don't know what to do. I mean, could this be terminal length??

Crysta
September 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I doubt very much that this would be your terminal length, I think that's something that should really only be considered when past hip length.

If you routine before was working for you, and your current one isn't it might make sense to go back to it. how's the condition of your scalp? have you tried castor oil, or other kinds of oil on your scalp?

You say you don't have any damage just a few split ends - This kind of stall I would generally put down to breakage so I can understand why you're ranting and confused! I'm at a loss to suggest anything :|

I have coloured hair so I can tell that my roots have been growing and how much they've grown for certain - it's one way to keep definite track, but at a cost obviously. I really hope this stall stops for you soon

YesitsReal
September 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I doubt very much that this would be your terminal length, I think that's something that should really only be considered when past hip length.

See, that's what I thought! That's why I'm so confused. :confused:

Yozhik
September 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
:flower: I'm sorry to hear about your current growth stall.

I'd really doubt that you're at terminal length, which is usually indicated by a number of factors, such as hair fairytaling and tapering, and length not increasing over a period of a year.

Maybe it's the past damage from blow-drying and straightening which is catching up to you, so that your hair is breaking off at the same rate that it's growing? I'm not sure, though, since you said your hair has very few split ends . . .

If your old routine was working for you, you could consider going back to it; there's nothing inherently bad about coney conditioners or dandruff shampoo -- you may just want to clarify your hair more often to get the cones from building up, and shampoo less often since I hear dandruff shampoo is really strong.

Good luck to you, and I hope you're satisfied with your hair length for your wedding! :flowers:

hanne jensen
September 9th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Has your scalp been acting up? How is your seborrheic dermatitis doing?

Maybe your could try a 2% Mn every 3 days. Not very many get headaches from it.

Scalp massages morning and evening might help.

I hope your stall ends yesterday!

MychelleC
September 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I agree with pp that going back to the routine that was working for you is a good idea. There is nothing in the Garnier shampoo or a coney conditioner that will kill your hair. I use a mild shampoo and my hair loves 'cones, and I treat my dermatitis flare-ups with a pyrithione zinc shampoo once a week as well. Your stall in growth could be hormonal or breakage, or it could be totally normal. On average hair grows about 1/4 inch per month, so you might be experiencing a normal growth rate that seems stalled after your super-growth rate. I would continue with a healthy diet, tons of water, and a wash routine that involves a gentle shampoo and conditioner every few days. No heat styling, coloring, etc, for a few months. Good luck!

spidermom
September 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Sometimes we have euphoric recall about things in the past.

Since you're a wavy, that's eating up some of your length. If you straightened your hair, it would look longer.

Take pictures of the length about one month apart and wear something with a pattern so that you can see whether your ends are, in fact, progressing downward. They probably are.

jojo
September 9th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hair grows on average 1/2"a month some people less and some more. Once your hair gets a certain length its hard to see growth. It may be that your hair is breaking on the ends, which makes it look like its stopped growing. Id try monthly dusts just teeny bits and you start to see a difference. Also daily oilings to the ends and keeping hair bunned will make a world of difference.

Remember too changes take time to see the benefits.

WinterButterfly
September 10th, 2011, 02:14 AM
It could be stress. Even good things can stress us out. If you are getting married soon, that could be a real stress factor. I would suggest doing different types of exercize such as pilaties. The reduction of the stress chemicals would probably help your hair growth.

alwayssmiling
September 10th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Sometimes breakage is really hard to spot unless you are in good light. I always inspect my hair outside on a sunny day. The number of times I have considered my hair to be healthy to only find a bunch of white dots when I'm sat in the garden or in the car. My daughters "healthy" hair stalled at waist, I gave it a trim in July - its now below waist and growing well again. It must have been breakage stopping her growth.

florenonite
September 10th, 2011, 05:51 AM
My hair used to grow like a weed. Seriously, it averaged about an inch per month, even in the colder months, and that's when I was blow-drying and straightening all the time.

I wonder if the warm air at the roots encouraged growth. This is pure speculation, but I believe heat can contribute to hair growth. If you've stopped blow-drying, your scalp isn't getting that anymore.