PDA

View Full Version : The wonders of damp-bunning

schweedie
September 9th, 2011, 06:11 AM
My hair is really close to being a 1a, and like so many I often wish for what I don't have: curls/waves. Braidwaves don't work very well for me, mainly because I can't braid low enough which makes the ends look weird in contrast to the rest of the hair, and my hair generally doesn't hold them them for long anyway.

But. My hair is finally long enough that it gets nice waves after damp-cinnabunning! I'm very excited about this and so had to share. The first picture is from right after I took it down, the second is after a bit of fingercombing and headbanging, and the third brushed out about an hour later.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k626/growingmyhair/SAM_2793.jpg http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k626/growingmyhair/SAM_2798.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k626/growingmyhair/SAM_2809.jpg

It turned out to still be a little damp when I took it down, which was probably why the waves didn't last longer, but it sure gave me more volume than I'm used to! And even though the ends are still straighter than the rest, the contrast isn't as huge as with braidwaves. Yay!

So for all you 1a people out there who want waves every once in a while, there is hope. :D

Angel_099
September 9th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Those are some VERY pretty waves!! :)

turquoisebud
September 9th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Beautiful! :) so shiny!

BelleBot
September 9th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Beautiful waves, they really show off all the colours in your hair.
I love damp bunning to get bun waves, they're so pretty and it makes a nice change from being straight all the time. :)

HuggyBear
September 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM
schweedie - your hair is gorgeous. I wish my hair would hold bun waves but, alas, they fall out within 5 minutes of taking my hair down. My hair refuses to hold curl no matter what I do. :(

Merkaba
September 9th, 2011, 09:00 AM
When my hair is almost dry I usually put it into a high bun (my hair is about APL) and then lightly blow dry the bottom before taking it down. I always get volume that lasts and big sexy waves from doing this.

I LOVE your warm blonde color!

schweedie
September 9th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Thank you, guys. :D Merkaba, I might try that sometime!

SusanSt
September 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Schweedie, your waves are lovely (as is your hair in general!) :)

EtherealOde
September 9th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Beautiful! :) so shiny!
Love that toy in your hair, what is it?

And schweedie, damp buns can work wonders! Add a little hair gel to help hold the waves if you aren't opposed to such products. I like the Kinky Curly curling custard, it seems fairly safe on my hair. When my hair was longer, I would wait until my hair was nearly dry then spritz my hair with a little bottle of the stuff heavily diluted with water and a bit of conditioner. Then up in a bun, and it would dry pretty quickly since it was nearly dry to begin with. When it came down it was lovely and soft, with big waves that held well.

hs_atreides
September 9th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!

newbeginning
September 10th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I really like how your waves are frizz free. I wish mine were. Your colour is beautiful too.

Teazel
September 10th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Beautiful bun waves! :)

arc691
September 10th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Your hair looks so

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/My%20Smilies/beautiful.gif

Shesta
September 10th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Your hair/waves look so adorable! :)
I wish I could use this technique but my hair loses all volume when I bun it damp.. blah.

longcurlygirl<3
September 10th, 2011, 07:09 AM
that is beautiful! hehe I realize that it even gives my curls a bit more definition. That's a big transformation thought :)

kamikaze hair
September 10th, 2011, 07:29 AM
your hair looks so pretty like that schweedie, I dig your bun waves :)

Lostsoule77
September 10th, 2011, 07:39 AM
That looks gorgeous! I'm jealous of the fact that you can brush out your waves and not have it turn into a frizzy poof! :)

schweedie
September 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Thank you, everyone! :flower:

And schweedie, damp buns can work wonders! Add a little hair gel to help hold the waves if you aren't opposed to such products. I like the Kinky Curly curling custard, it seems fairly safe on my hair.
Thanks for the tip! I've been meaning to try putting a bit of mousse or aloe vera gel in before I bun, will try to remember to actually do it next time. :)

Tealpuffin
September 11th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous! I like to bun my hair wet so I can control my frizz and it looks much better. x

jaine
September 11th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Nice!!
I think it's funny ... I damp-bun when I want to *straighten* my hair! :) If I could get my waves that straight I would be delighted!!

spidermom
September 11th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Beautiful result. I read recently that damp bunning is a good practice because it compresses the cuticle into a nice, tight position.

But my hair would never dry so I don't do it.

Melodere
September 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM
My hair is the same. Heat curls don't hold, but damp-set curls hold amazingly.

Beautiful result. I read recently that damp bunning is a good practice because it compresses the cuticle into a nice, tight position.

But my hair would never dry so I don't do it.

You should try it about 85% dry.

Tealpuffin
September 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Nice!!
I think it's funny ... I damp-bun when I want to *straighten* my hair! :) If I could get my waves that straight I would be delighted!!

Haha! I am exactly the same! I found that sock buns as good for large 'roller curls'.