PDA

View Full Version : Constant struggle!

shackleford
September 8th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hello friends!
While this is my first time posting, I am not new to this site. In May, after years of bleach damage and flat ironing, a hairstylist in Paris ignored my pleas for a trim and cut my BSL, horribly layered hair to a few inches longer than SL, with the shortest layer starting at my eyebrows. I cried off and on for weeks. Even though a lot of damage was cut out, it felt so hideously short. In June, I realized that - get this - an upside-down V was cut into the back of my hair, such that the sides were TWO INCHES longer than the middle. I made the difficult decision to cut it all the same length myself, using a similar method to the self-trimming I learned about here on LHC, with my hair at about inch past collarbone.
Right now, in August, my shortest layer is at the bottom of my earlobe, with a few short pieces reaching the middle of my hair. When wet, from what I can see my hair is about two inches from being solidly APL, but when dry, it's more like three inches because I have very fine but curly/wurly hair.
I'm not looking for advice - I haven't heat-styled since the beginning of June, I damp-oil and damp-bun, braid at night with silk scarf over, have used MegaTek successfully. I am simply here to reach out to others who are not only in the no-man's-land between SL and APL (I frequent that thread as well), but who are also frustrated and struggling with length not being reflected in dry hair. I see little bits of broken hair on my shirts. Every step forward, I feel like I also take a step back. My roommate has gorgeous waist-length healthy hair, so I reminded constantly how short and weirdly layered my hair is in comparison. For someone that's had BSL+ hair my whole life, waiting for my hair to catch up feels like hell. Not to mention one side grows much faster than the other.
So the plan is to grow to APL - since I have three-ish inches, and I get 3/4" to 1" growth a month using MegaTek, I think I can reach that by Christmas? - and trim bad ends & let the layers catch up a bit, then grow grow grow to my goal of waist.
I also wanted to thank you all here at LHC. I am now growing my hair out in the LHC-way: it's going to be long AND healthy, which hasn't happened since I was 13.
Sorry for all the ranting! I just need to know others are out there whose layers, fine hair, curly hair, damaged hair, or too-short hair is DRIVING THEM INSANE.
:cheese:- insane like this cheese!

racrane
September 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your hair so short, but think of how nice it'll be when it's long and healthy. :) Take care!

dementedkitten
September 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hi! I'm sorry to read about the scissor happy hairdresser .. arrghh. Glad to see your hair growing out though and congrats on losing the heat styling - I'm seriously cutting down myself. Long hair and HEALTHY hair is a great moto to stick by, even if I too am being driven as insane as this cheese! :cheese: Good Luck! :cheese:

shackleford
September 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM
thanks guys! i appreciate it.

Friesiangirl
September 9th, 2011, 01:24 PM
We can be unhappy together, although my hair shortcomings are only my own. I seem to get to APL and healthy and then mess it all up.

(hugs)

Happy Growing!