PDA

View Full Version : Rat's nest!

Jessica Trapp
September 8th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Oh, help! Dry weather, motorcycle riding, slept without my cap... well... you get the idea. My hair has the worst rat's nest I have EVER had. I conditioned the heck out of it this morning in the shower but it didn't help. Well... it helped a little... but it's BAD. A big matted ball of hair about mid-back level.

SMT?
Oil?

Any ideas?

pepperminttea
September 8th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Get the slippiest conditioner you own. Use it generously on the knots, and start at the bottom, gently working apart them with your fingers. You might find you have to cut some tangles out, but give them your best shot first. :)

Jessica Trapp
September 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Any recommendations on conditioner?

pepperminttea
September 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I think you're in the US? Best thing I can think of is L'Oreal Nature Therapy Mega Moisture. CinnamonHair mentions it in one of her youtube vids - apparently it's powerful enough that it makes the shower floor slippery. :)

Dragon
September 9th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Dove conditioner for damaged hair I have found is very slippery when in wet hair. Also do you have a friend you can trust to help to you detangle? Good luck.

swetiepeti
September 9th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Johnson & Johnson No More Tears Leave in Conditioner

I work in a Pediatric ICU. Get children sometimes post major accidents, then surgery, who's hair is a rat nest. I pay for it out of my own pocket because it works so well for those cases of girls with long hair that have become one big mat. I'm quite generous in the amount I use. I use way more than the dime size they suggest. You still will have to take your time, but it will leave you with less or no cutting. Yes it's full of silicones but you can clarify AFTER you detangle.
Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium-37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Fragrance, Methylparaben, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Propylparaben, Cetrimonium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide.

Cowgirl16
September 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Well :drama: how did it go?

swetiepeti
September 12th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I've been wondering as well

Charybdis
September 12th, 2011, 09:11 AM
J&J's No More Tangles detangler spray also works well. That's what I use on DH's tangle-prone curly hair when there's a bad mat. That, plus a fine-tooth comb, plus lots of patience. Usually the only things that have to be cut are the ends of strands where the individual hair has tied itself in a knot (what I've seen people call fairy knots).

Jessica Trapp
September 12th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks, guys! I marinated my hair in conditioner and olive oil for three hours and then picked it out one strand at a time. It was A MESS! Finally back to semi-normal though.

jojo
September 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I fell alseep on the sofa last night and had terrible bed head or rats nest as you call it! I use Avon's kids detangler on my length as my hair is so tangly and i sprayed some in my rats nest-brilliant they all combed out with ease. Id imagine putting some coney conditioner in a spray bottle with some water would do the same.

cmg
September 12th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Anything with Behentrimonium Chloride in it as one of the first five ingredients makes my wet hair slippry enough to detangle abit easier. Amodimeticone is also ok, but the other one is better.

beez1717
September 14th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I use my mane and tasil conditioner as leave in and wait. Then I use the all mighty tangle teezer :) works wonderers for me :)