PDA

View Full Version : How many Split ends do you normally find?

sabreena
September 8th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I do not trim my hair at all except once a year. Lately, thanks to this forum i've learnt to dust off split ends. When I first started doing it, i was disappointed because i did have many. But nowadays, its a lot lesser.

Do you guys find as many as I do. I have past tail bone length hair. I'm awfully afraid of hair dressers who get scissor happy.
Also, can i not trim my hair and continue dusting off as long as I want?

alexandros22
September 8th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I have zero split ends. But my hair is still short

luxepiggy
September 8th, 2011, 08:39 AM
If you S&D on a regular basis, I would guess that you wouldn't need to trim nearly as often, if at all.

I rarely get split ends, but I found 4 yesterday - it was most upsetting! I've never found more than one at a time before ( ' (oo) ' )

Madora
September 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I don't S and D much but I recently found two split ends. Trims every 3 to 4 month keep the split ends down to a minimum.

spidermom
September 8th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I generally find 1 or 2 in any section of hair I care to look at.

archel
September 8th, 2011, 09:22 AM
My hair doesn't split, it just breaks right off, so I don't find splits, I just find breakage (sigh).

lapispimpernel
September 8th, 2011, 10:52 AM
My hair splits if I sneeze funny- there's always a ton, but I find the most in the hair framing my face.

Yame
September 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I have a lot of splits along my length but none on my hem. I am finding less and less though, since I started S&Ding.

Btw Sabreena I think your hair is hip length and not tailbone. Tailbone is around the middle of the butt... In your last video I don't remember it being that long, unless you are talking about it straight?

Roscata
September 8th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I don't get split ends. I haven't found ONE since I started growing my hair out naturally and stopped the abuse.

In theory you can get away without trimming, dusting and even without S&D depending on your hair and how your treat it. BUT it does sound to me like you get split ends so dusting will help with that. I also agree with the others that said you should consider S&D.

All you can do is try it out and see how your hair behaves. Work with your hair and do that to which is responds best. That's the best advice I can give you. :D

teal
September 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I have quite a few, but my hair is quite damaged at the ends. The important thing is that I find slightly less each time I go on a S&D mission.

ZeppHead
September 8th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I don't find many, when I do its two or three along the length, or on my growing out bangs.

ericthegreat
September 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I keep my bottom length well trimmed and maintained. I S&D fairly often at around every 3 weeks or so, and I get it professionally trimmed at the salon every 3 to 4 months. So my main hemline is usually free of split ends. However, I also have lots of natural shorter pieces and shorter strands all around my head as well. Its these shorter pieces that have split ends. They act like natural layers in my hair, especially when the wind blows the shorter strands are always the ones that fly up and away. I usually just leave these shorter strands uncut, one because I'm pretty sure that they naturally have a shorter terminal length to begin with so they're not gonna grow any longer, and two I would go crazy if tried to hunt down every single last one of them.

islandboo
September 8th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I generally find about 3 or 4 when I S&D.

sun-kissed
September 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I have millions of splits, every few strands I find one. I can look at a clump of my hair, and there they all are. I went for two years without trimming, and one of those years was full of brushing abuse, so I know why I have them. Now I've stopped combing my hair more than once a day now, and am dusting it every month or so to try to fix what I caused. And it is working.. but slowly, very slowly.

Lianna
September 8th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I have found 2 so far. My hair is only around APL but it has been bleached and colored a lot (like every month) and my bangs are relaxed now. I know it was from mechanical damage though, because I wasn't being all that careful to detangle that particular section where I found the splits. I'm being more careful now.

Leah Polamalu
September 8th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I have a lot. I used to S&D often but have gotten past that and it definitely shows.

jojo
September 9th, 2011, 04:50 AM
How do you lot do it? I find splits on about 50% of my hair, my hair is baby fine though so maybe this is why. I dust monthly and they are getting less; its just part and parcel of having long hair.

supbanana
September 9th, 2011, 06:29 AM
When I started a couple months back I found a dozen or so the first few times, but now I rarely find any splits on the ends. Instead I'll find splits halfway up the strands.

I think a lot of it has to do with lighting, though. For instance, I just realized that sitting in front of the computer in a dark room is excellent lighting for finding those elusive suckers.:hifive: Slowly but surely!

Angel_099
September 9th, 2011, 06:46 AM
It seems like it was a couple months ago that I noticed a bunch of split ends. It was like they appeared all of a sudden. I did do a self-trim a few weeks ago and took off maybe 1/2"...and I also use henna (which I swear got rid of them all!). I seriously cannot find a single one anymore! It doesn't make sense to me...but they are gone now so I'm not complaining! :)

katienoonan
September 9th, 2011, 08:12 AM
If I S&D'd all of my hair I would have none left... :-(

Finoriel
September 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I don't find any.
Which does not mean that I don't have any :wink: it just means that I don't look for them :p. I simply don't like to search for splits, it's the most boring activity ever imo and I just can't be bothered to spend time on it :o.
So far it works fine for me to just trim off the ends from time to time and not bother about the rest. But my hair is one of the easy&sturdy hairtypes, is worn up a lot, washed gently and has not been bleached or box-colored, so I'm probably getting away with a higher degree of lazyness *ahem* benign neglect regarding split search than others.
If one will need to do S&Ds or not depends mostly on hairtype, how many damaging things it is exposed to and on how much of a perfectionist you are. Some people are fine without S&D even at longer lengths and some are not. I'd say wait and see and enjoy the journey :)

DarkSky
September 11th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I did an S&D last night through my length and layers and found 15. There may be more that I missed since I have a lot of layers. I'm actually surprised it's not more considering the last time I went to the hair stylist was around 3 months ago and I've done heat styling twice weekly for a month and a half but the last month and a half I started CG and a much more infrequent heat styling routine.

freckles
September 11th, 2011, 07:44 AM
a million billion :p

Leoneska
September 11th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Here too :(

Safira
September 11th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Many, but after henna Iīve found lot less. And I donīt get splits as easily as before. I love henna and that amazing thing it has done to my hair.

Milui Elenath
September 11th, 2011, 08:47 AM

Here too :(

and me :( I have such very dry hair (tb) and the ends of course suffer the most despite that I haven't used chemical dyes for years, never straightened, wear it up etc etc. I could S&D till the cows come home and still find more the following week . . . for the moment I am ignoring them :whistle:

Palla
September 11th, 2011, 11:23 PM

Same here. :mad: It doesn't matter if I S & D or not, my hair is just super-splitty. I've given up.

Arashi
September 11th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Not a single one. I've looked, too..
My hair is still pretty short at this point(a bit past shoulder) so I'm guessing there will be splits to be found in the future, but I don't remember the last time I found one. Whenever I do think there's one, it turns out to be 2 or more undamaged hairs stuck together.

Modarunner
September 11th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I have so many split ends that I can't count them all. I've been pretty good to my hair, so the only thing I can think of is it's because of wearing my hair down. I think it's time to start practicing more up do's.

supbanana
September 12th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I have so many split ends that I can't count them all. I've been pretty good to my hair, so the only thing I can think of is it's because of wearing my hair down. I think it's time to start practicing more up do's.

I'm at the stage where I've resigned myself to updos as well. I avoided them for years because I never really felt comfortable not being able to 'hide' behind my hair, but I recently discovered hairsticks and now I can't get enough! I can't wait for my layers to grow out so the updos look neater. :)

Melisande
September 12th, 2011, 01:47 AM
None. My hair doesn't split. I haven't seen a split hair in decades. I remember the last time I had a split hair - that was at school. I'm 47 now.

Of the Fae
September 12th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I used to have hundreds when I still did chemical dyes, but since I henna... even with a bleach job in between I've seen about four splits in half a year's time, and S&D'd them all :P So for as far as I can see I am without splits