PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's hair enjoy rain?

angelfell
September 7th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I always hear around me people complaining about the rain 'ruining their hair'. True, it ruins any style in the hair, but personally I enjoy it. I don't really style my hair very much any more though.. when I did, rain was my enemy. However, I'm in a part of the US now that is going to have like, a whole week of rain; the sun hasn't peeked out in days. I haven't been soaked by it yet but my hair has been decently damp or wet and when it dries, it feels even softer than previously. I don't really have any problems with frizz, but when the rain hits it and it dries, it seems way more voluminous (yay!) and wavy, than when I shower and comb it out with a wide-toothed comb.

I actually love the style my hair takes when it's been dampened by rain, and for some reason it becomes way softer. The waves are big and nice, something I've tried doing in the past with tools/products to no avail. Does anyone else find their hair at its best when it's been rained on? Maybe some pictures :p? I should take some tomorrow.

Barb
September 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. My hair feels great after a rain ... it's got some more controlled wave to it and is nice and soft.

I think that's because rainwater is usually soft (as in soft water instead of hard water.) Unless you live in an area with really bad acid rain ... in which case you'd be bald. (Just kidding!)

teal
September 7th, 2011, 11:19 PM
It's best if my hairstyle can survive getting rained on... we get a lot of rain here, and the humidity is often high whether it's raining or not. I haven't really paid much attention to style in the last while, though. So yes, my simple buns and braids are fine in the rain, lol. Do I like it? Well.. my hair is fine so it can get the drowned-rat look fairly easily. I don't much like that. But I do like the tiny ringlets around my hairline.

The only time I get bummed is when I've gone to the trouble of straightening my hair. Then I don't want it to get wet. I haven't done that in months, though.

katsrevenge
September 7th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I think I'm in the same area.. flood warnings and the rivers are up like crazy..

But my hair is soft! It is a bit flat though after it gets wet. It hs been acting very nice this week otherwise.

ssjhotau2
September 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM
My hair also likes rain. I've always loved running out in the rain (I rarely styled my hair even before LHC because I'm lazy), my hair would get wavy and soft. It's funny that I've always thought my hair was straight and that it was just a weird "drying pattern" that the rain caused that made it wavy lol.
But my hair and I both love the rain. :D

Melisande
September 8th, 2011, 12:17 AM
My hair loves the rain ,and so do I. My skind loves it, too.

<3OnHerSleeve
September 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM
My hair goes so nice and curly when it's sprinkled by rain. Or even when I'm drenched it turns out lovely, but I don't particularly like being soaking wet :P

AndreaPetrea
September 8th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Oh yes :D My hair becomes so soft!

When I was in Germany a couple of months ago I co-washed like always. Not a good idea. My hair became dry and greasy at the same time. So when it was raining one evening I was so happy! My boyfriend HATES rain and thought I was crazy for standing and jumping around outside while waiting for the bus, when everyone else were clumped together under a roof (to be honest, I think that everybody there thought I was crazy). But afterwards my hair actually felt like hair again :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 8th, 2011, 02:13 AM
No >.< My hair is fine, so it soaks it all up and then my hair just looks like, strings. Strings piled up on top of my head. Haha. Though it doesn't really do anything to my style unless i have straightened it.

oktobergoud
September 8th, 2011, 03:42 AM
My hair does! Okay, it does get a little frizzy, but it also gets a lot more volume and waves! :)

sabreena
September 8th, 2011, 03:43 AM
I've heard of people who collect rainwater to wash their hair. I heard it's good. Unless you have acid rain or too many pollutants in your country

Shesta
September 8th, 2011, 04:23 AM
My hair used to love rain back in the days. Recently I don't notice the same effect if I get wet occasionally. Maybe pollution or who knows.. :(

theodora
September 8th, 2011, 04:33 AM
My hair loves rain! It makes it super soft and my waves come out. I live in the countryside so it's probably not that polluted. I should really start collecting it, especially seeing as it rains all the time, but I never get around to it...

alexandros22
September 8th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Rain makes my hair frizzy and out of control!

Lippytoes
September 8th, 2011, 05:10 AM
My hair gets super frizzy from rain, but I love how rain enhances my wave and makes the shorter hairs at my temples curl.

halo_tightens
September 8th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Oh yes, my hair loves rain! Sometimes I wear it down on purpose if it's expected to be rainy all day. :D

embee
September 8th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Rain and showers bring out what I think people call frizz. I love it. I've never had any softening of my slick stick straight hair (other than ghastly perms) but the frizz gives a halo effect that I really like. It catches the light nicely and reminds me of cat's fur in sunlight. :)

spidermom
September 8th, 2011, 09:24 AM
A soft rain brings out a lot of curl that I don't see otherwise. A drenching rain just gets my hair wet, and it dries like it would dry if I get it wet in the shower.

NotInPortland
September 8th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Mine gets wavier which is nice but as it dries it gets even more frizzy and feels weird once it is completely dry. Stupid rain.

jujube
September 8th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I love rain! It enhances my curls and won't make me frizz if I use humectants.

jojo
September 8th, 2011, 09:48 AM
We are having monster showers at the moment in the UK and the other day I got caught out, my hair was dripping within minutes but once it dried wow soft ringlets, if not slightly scruffy but I loved them!

Wanderer09
September 8th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I noticed this even before I found LHC. Whenever I got soaked in rain water, I had the most wonderful soft curls afterwards.

YepLilly
September 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM
My hair needs to be either soaking wet or fully dry. Half-damp hair for me is the worst! Those sprinkle showers are the devil on my hair lol. So if it's gonna rain, it'd better be a thunderstorm :pinktongue:

Kyla
September 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I've heard that not only the soft water of rain is beneficial to the hair, but the slight acidity acts somewhat like an ACV rinse in balancing the PH and smoothing the cuticle. Not sure how true that is though, although it sounds believable. :o

Dars
September 8th, 2011, 09:05 PM
It really depends what the area is like. If it's a clean environment then my hair loves the rain! I got caught out one day without an umbrella and had to run a fair distance back to the car and my hair was soaked, when it dried it was gorgeous! The curls where just so beautifully soft. But where I am now, there is far more pollution in the area, when it rains here it doesn't do anything great for my hair so I always avoid it.

long&blonde
September 8th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Oh yes, my hair positively loves the rain. I've always loved the feel of rain, so I go without an umbrella whenever possible. I'll get on a bus with past waist length hair dripping, drenched, and just run my fingers thru it, on the air conditioned ride home. It ends up in the prettiest waves and spirals. I could Never duplicate it in my bathroom,with a mirror,while trying! Lol! The only thing my hair loves more than being drenched in the rain is, a breezy sunny day at the ocean. Mother Nature definitely wins hands down, at making my hair look good.

Cania
September 9th, 2011, 12:18 AM
It feels soft, but gets so frizzy.. so it's a love-hate thing :)

Chetanlaiho
September 9th, 2011, 04:10 AM
My hair gets really soft and wurlier in the rain, but it looks stringy when I leave it down =(

The only reason rain is still (part of) my hair's enemy is because it makes my fringe wurl in thé most annoying ways xD

Centaur
September 9th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Yep - my hair likes rain.

In fact, the pic in my avatar was taken after I had gotten rained on then let my hair dry naturally.

PurusNox
September 9th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I don't know, I normally have a shower soon after it gets wet/damp. I'm going to leave it next time and see :D

Miss Maisie
September 9th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Last night my husband and I went for a walk in the misting/raining/drizzling weather, and my hair got...big. The ends started waving a bit, but mostly I noticed that my hair was huge!

Dutchesse
September 9th, 2011, 10:08 AM
My hair used to get all wavy, almost curly when I cycled to school through the rain. Now that I have bangs, I don't like it as much anymore, though - it makes my bangs stick to my forehead in strings and it curls the wrong way. I still like it for the rest of my hair though:D

halo_tightens
September 9th, 2011, 10:10 AM
It's misty and drizzly here today, and my hair is down and enjoying it! :)

wendy51
September 10th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Same my hair loves it
It gets sooo soffttt! ^^

jasper
September 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM
My hair would enjoy it if it did rain. If we got some rain here in central Texas, there would be so much joy it would flow from our hearts to our brains and out the ends of all our hair.

tinti
September 10th, 2011, 09:27 PM
If I go out with my hair loose, it rainI don't like it. I feel like a drowned cat, I don't know how I look, but say if I have gone outside with my hair loose, get inside and detangle it, it's ten times worse to detangle it if it rains than if I had showered. Don't ask me why, it's just blah. But if I have it up its no problem.

Erika_92
December 15th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Yes! My hair gets shiny

Rybe
December 15th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Hm, my hair doesn't seem to care much. When it's first wet I just look stringy and greasy (fortunately people around here know better than to assume! At least I hope) And if I'm DOING a lot it'll friz, because my hair likes to tangle when wet regardless of the water. But once it dries it's business as usual.

RapunzelKat
December 15th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Rain makes my hair angry!! As soon as it get damp, it goes flat and gets massively tangled, even if I'm standing still :( And then it dries flat and tangly too :( Except for my baby hairs, which stick straight out when they dry. :p
Luckily for my hair, I don't really care for getting wet either so I tend to stay out of the rain if I can :D

RedheadMistress
December 15th, 2011, 03:12 AM
- My hair becomes softer but I don't let it rain on it because it makes it super itchy, idk why but it's really annoying . . so I end up with softer hair but once it's dry you see all the dry scalp bits in my hair, I just hate it . . !

Orangerthanred
December 15th, 2011, 06:10 AM
My hair likes rain if it's cold rain. If it's all humid out, rain would be a disaster.

door72067
December 15th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I get lovely spirals on rainy/humid days

Mayflower
December 15th, 2011, 08:17 AM
This week it's extremely windy and rainy out here and today my umbrella let me down so after the 5 minutes I walked without it, I was completely soaked. And I had dryshampoo in my hair. Yep, it's a sticky, flat mess now and I only want to wash my hair again on sunday. Sigh!

Amber_Maiden
December 15th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I used to love being out in the rain in the country- my hair loved it as well!

But the rain in the city... it's not so great- makes my hair smell. Must be acid rain and all that.

XcaliburGirl
December 15th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Yes, mine enjoys the rain, I get more waves and wurls. I also get some frizz from it too though.

ludwig20
December 15th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I really love the rain and wish my hair would, too. I have noticed my waves are emphasized, but unfortunately that also means more frizz.

Chetanlaiho
December 15th, 2011, 09:01 AM
My hair becomes really soft and more wurly, but also limp, stringy and frizzy :shrug:

cooklaezo13
December 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I love the waves my hair gets when it rains or when there is humidity in the air. I don't style my hair so it works for me :)

gboneske
December 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM
My grandmother SWORE by rain water for her hair. She would catch a bucket full when she could and wash her hair with it. It was always soft and thick.

Carissamarie08
December 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM
my hair may love the rain but I hate it, therefore I wont get my hair in it, lol