PDA

View Full Version : i look like a wild man

scotty810
September 7th, 2011, 09:33 PM
my hair never looks like it's brushed, I just brushed it before taking a photo if you could believe it. You can imagine how it looks after i've been outside in the wind.

is there something I can do, hairspray? Though I think any type of product would make me hair really clumpy because of it's thickness

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27/scottboy81/hair/lol.jpg

danacc
September 7th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I think it looks fine as it is. But since you want to change it--what look are you going for? Pulling it into a ponytail, half-up pony, or braid might give a more polished look.

Cassie 123
September 7th, 2011, 09:46 PM
It looks very nicely brushed in the picture to me. :confused:

By the way - in regards to your other thread - now that we can see your face - it is clear that you are one of those guys who can pull off quite a variety of hairstyles without looking feminine or silly! Half-ups, buns, sparkly purple scrunchies - go for it! :D

mallorykay13
September 7th, 2011, 09:47 PM

By the way - in regards to your other thread - now that we can see your face - it is clear that you are one of those guys who can pull off quite a variety of hairstyles without looking feminine or silly! Half-ups, buns, sparkly purple scrunchies - go for it! :D

I agree completely. :)

kamikaze hair
September 7th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I also think it looks nice as it is. :D Maybe something that can give your hair some more "softness" like some oil, very sparingly used.

gypsymoth
September 7th, 2011, 09:56 PM
If that doesn't look brushed, I don't know what does :eek:

I think you have nothing to worry about, but what you think is more important. Maybe try a leave-in like aloe gel or a bit of oil, like kamikaze hair suggested.

justgreen
September 7th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Stay away from hairspray! Talk about build-up, and it's difficult to get out.

Your hair looks very nice. If you are concerned about being outside in the wind, just tie it up before you go out. It's always (well, we have a few nice days out of the year) windy here in Wyoming, so I keep a couple of hairsticks and a scrunchie in my purse.

For men, these (http://www.nwtreasuretrove.com/sterling-ponytail-holders.htm)are my personal faves.

scotty810
September 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM
ok maybe i'm just being overly self critical of how it looks.

I do put it up sometimes, I prefer it out though.

terryn
September 7th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I agree with everyone else - it looks perfectly controlled to me! I would put some aloe in it if I wanted a slightly pieceier, smoother look. Otherwise, you'd look great with a pony or half up, as others suggested.

AceOfCurls
September 7th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I agree with everyone else, it looks great the way it is, which is kind of viking-ish. :D lol I don't know why I think that.

misspurdy06
September 7th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Wild hair is sexy but if you must have it more tame try leave-in conditioner. Suave detangler for kids is awesome.

AshleyTheRed
September 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I also think it looks nice as it is. :D Maybe something that can give your hair some more "softness" like some oil, very sparingly used.

This.
My hair gets very wild too. I use a very small amount of Argon oil, or put it in a braid. If you pull it back and still have problems with frizz Aloe can help without making your hair look slick.

Another thing. What do you use to brush your hair? If I use a regular brush or comb I look like I stuck a fork in a toaster. I started using a wooden comb and see a huge difference. My hair isn't as frizzy as it used to be.

Yozhik
September 7th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I think it looks good! :thumbsup:

Maybe you could put some leave-in conditioner or oil on the ends to weigh them down? That might help in taming your hair. :)

WinterButterfly
September 7th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I think you really have awesome hair. Your hair type just isn't that smooth prince charming no hair out of place look. That doesn't mean it is bad in the least. It looks healthy. You probably should forgo the brush and opt for a comb. It will cut down on frizz. You could probably rock al sorts of braiding. Manly braids are awesome. A tiny bit of oil for shine might make it look more kept. But I still think braids would look very nice on you. It is ok to look a little wild too. No person is the same as another. So we shouldn't all try to look the same. You should do a braid using a swath down the middle of your head from the crown to the end. Like a sort of french braid. I don't think I am explaining exactly what I mean. But what I am thinking would be neato.

xoerincolleen
September 7th, 2011, 10:55 PM
If I were you, I'd use some oil to tame the hair a little bit. Do you use a boar bristle brush or just a standard brush? My BBB does wonders for smoothing out my hair.
But, that being said, your hair looks good the way it is!

Athena's Owl
September 7th, 2011, 10:55 PM
actually, you might find that it hangs better with more attention paid to moisture, either by using conditioner or mixing coconut oil and a fairly minimalist shampoo together. that might work very well for you.

janiejones
September 7th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I have empathy for you :/ My hair, whether it is due to the texture or something else, always fluffs up, flips, or starts to twist into little dread lock things even if I have combed it out recently. The whole "cascading in smooth, rippling waves down my back" thing is never going to happen, so I'm trying to accept the wild hair :)

gthlvrmx
September 7th, 2011, 11:01 PM
You look very handsome! Very manly! :D
And your hair looks fine, as long as your hair is liking it it should be ok.
It doesn't really matter what other people will say, i assure you there's someone out there who disagrees with your hair up and someone who disagrees with your hair down. Just do what makes you feel happy :)

GlennaGirl
September 7th, 2011, 11:01 PM
You have GREAT hair. It's beautiful!

Megz
September 7th, 2011, 11:05 PM

Ha, I was just thinking that.

I have to agree with the others - I think your hair looks great. More moisturizing, as someone else mentioned, might help if you're looking for totally smooth, but I think the "wild" look (not that I think it looks wild) just adds further to the masculinity of it all.

Ayasha1
September 7th, 2011, 11:10 PM
i am thinking its that your hair is either coarse or frizzy or both if your unlucky like me haha
there is not much we can do besides use oil witch i do from chin length down before i cowash. my boyfriend has long hair down to lower chest and he NEVER brushes it haha and he gets compliments all of the time.

GoddessLocks
September 7th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Love your hair! Looks very nice

Biedronka
September 8th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I too think it looks lovely and neat.And it suits you really nicely

Baby
September 8th, 2011, 02:11 AM
You can try a cassia pack, for me it makes my hair smoother and heavier. Excuse my bad english, itīs not my first language.
I like your beard, it is at least where I live qouite unusual with full beards.

alyanna
September 8th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Nice hair!

I don't think it looks wild or messy at all. However, if you still feel like it looks "unkept", you could try a tiny little trim to even out the ends. That might make your hair look more clean cut (pun intended).

Buffy
September 8th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I' will agree! Your hair looks just fine. And as a previous poster said, you have the kind of face that you can do whatever you want with your hair without looking feminine. I'll assume you do use some kind of conditioner/mask right?

lunalesca
September 8th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Your hair looks very good. But maybe it is your beard that gives you the wild-man look?

I don't know if it is an option for you, but you could trim your beard to give it some shape. Maybe you could shorten it to about 1cm / 1/2inch length to underline your face shape.

Take a look at this guy: http://daryltay.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Lost-Sawyer.jpg

oktobergoud
September 8th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Your hair looks very good. But maybe it is your beard that gives you the wild-man look?

I don't know if it is an option for you, but you could trim your beard to give it some shape. Maybe you could shorten it to about 1cm / 1/2inch length to underline your face shape.

Take a look at this guy: http://daryltay.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Lost-Sawyer.jpg

I second this! I think the hair looks really good and well groomed. I think the beard might be 'the problem'. Not saying that it IS a problem, but I think that is the thing that might give you the 'wild man' look. It's definitely not your hair though!

Alvrodul
September 8th, 2011, 04:36 AM
You have gorgeous hair! I am in complete agreement with the others here. What I would recommend, are regular SMTs for moisture, and perhaps oiling, if you don't do that. And pulling your hair back in a ponytail or a braid would give a more polished look when you want that, as well as cutting down on the tangles when you are out in a high wind. Tangles when you are out in windy weather is something you can't avoid when you have long hair and wear your hair down.
Stay away from the hairspray, though. If you ry it, your hair will feel as if you have poured glue over it (which, come to think of it, you have! :p)

dudbarbu
September 8th, 2011, 04:38 AM
It looks nice. Beard and long hair goes well together, don't change anything.

IanB
September 8th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Yes Scotty, no need to change a thing - it's looking great :)

Kelikea
September 8th, 2011, 05:12 AM
You look great! Maybe you just need a better conditioner or serum? I wouldn't use hairspray!

Lippytoes
September 8th, 2011, 05:16 AM
The moisture suggestions people have been giving sound good - but honestly, I think your hair looks fantastic. Especially with that beard. Awesome.

catiebloo
September 8th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Hey :)

My brother has hair like your's and if I leave mine to it's own devices, it tends to pouff out like that too. I've found CO-washing without cones and using a wooden comb to brush/detangle has worked wonders at smoothing it out, as has using Kimberlilys de-frizz spray on damp hair. Oh and staying away from heat.

Sorry that's a long list!

Good Luck!

Squeak toy
September 8th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Oiling helps me feel my hair is hanging better and laying well without frizz

tameriska
September 8th, 2011, 06:37 AM

Eek, no - your beard looks great as it is

kamikaze hair
September 8th, 2011, 06:48 AM
more pics, more pics, more pics.... one with you with your hair braided would look cool. I seriously think you could rock a braid without it looking girly.

Panth
September 8th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Eek, no - your beard looks great as it is

Seconding this. There's nothing wrong with a beard and, IMO, yours looks much neater than that stubbly nonsense the previous poster linked.

CornishMaid
September 8th, 2011, 07:07 AM

I totally agree!

Very nice, your hair & beard :D

I use a tiny bit of coconut oil to smooth my hair down.

lapispimpernel
September 8th, 2011, 08:23 AM

NoooOooooo! Keep the beard, please! You never find beards. And I like 'em. :eyebrows:

teal
September 8th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Keep the beard! And the hair! Don't cut anything! :tmi:

My hair can get like that on occasion. Moreso when I was shampooing. Now that I've cut out shampoo and started using oils it's a lot calmer and it just gets like that when I use a BBB.

I wish my hubby would grow a beard. Playoff season is the happiest time of my life. (Kidding, lol! :D)

teal
September 8th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Also, not to push you or anything, but if you fill out your profile and tell us about your haircare routine (and what it used to be, too) then people might have more specific advice.

bunzfan
September 8th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I think your hair looks great, i understand about having to tie it up when going out i'm by the sea so having hair down is not a clever idea .

archel
September 8th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Holy crap, those Celtic hair ties are bad@ss! WOW

spidermom
September 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I used to get wild-woman hair like crazy at that length, which is why I used heat-styling tools and had to cut back 6 inches from the damage when I was at lower BSL.

Length helps.

scotty810
September 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
ok thanks for all the comments, see if i can answer a few questions

I use one of those boar bristle brushes people have recommended for my hair.

my hair washing routine is just the usual shampoo/conditioner routine with maybe some moisturizer afterwards.

I'm keeping the beard yeah, it's been alot longer actually, beard hair is even crazier to maintain.

as for me braiding my hair, well maybe one day I'd have to teach myself. I don't have any long haired female family to help, they all have short hair.

didrash
September 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I think it looks great.

BlazingHeart
September 8th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Having been a camp counselor once upon a time, I have taught a ridiculous number of little girls to braid things (string, lanyards, rope, pine needles, hair, horse's tails...you name it!). So, here's how I'd teach the girls a basic (English) braid:

First, start with yarn. You don't need much, 5 yards is more than enough. Start with just 3 strands about a foot long so you aren't having to worry about keeping anything separate from anything else. Tie them all in a knot at one end, an overhand is all you need.

I number the places from left to right, 1-2-3. After EVERY sentence, things are numbered by where they are left to right, not what they were last turn. 1 goes over 2, under 3. 3 goes over 2, under 1. 1 goes over 2, under 3. 3 goes over 2, under 1. Repeat until you reach the end. Now, you may have the ends of your strands start kind of backwards braiding themselves together - that's totally okay, you hold all your strands in 1 hand and untangle the ends with the other hand.

You only need to do that once or twice to get the basics. You want a good snug braid, so make your crossovers as much across (not down) the strand as you can. You can expirament with going more across or more down to see how it changes it, but with hair, you'll get a neater looking braid that will stay together better and longer if you have it snug.

Once you've got it with 3 pieces of yarn, cut multiples of 3 - I usually gave them about 9 strands because I was dealing with little hands. Tie 'em in a knot at the top, divide them into 3 even portions, and do exactly the same thing you did with earlier.

Right, now that you can do that, you can move to braiding your forelock. I start people on their own forelock because you can see what you're doing most of the time, in case you're still having to think about it. I grab a 1" section just to one side of a part (I think you had a part? if not, start over one eye). Divide it into 3 roughly equal sections, and braid on down. Hair feels a little different to braid, but the motion is the same. I find hair is easier to braid if I separate my hair and then smooth each section roots to tip against my palm 3-5 times before I start, and re-do that if individual hairs poking out of a strand.

It takes a little bit of thinking about it to transpose the motion to behind your head, but if your hands have picked up what the twist feels like, it's not terribly hard. When I was first learning, I'd invision my hair as if it was laid out in front of me and make it do the same thing behind my back - 1 over 2 under 3. 3 over 2 under 1. 1 over 2 under 3. If you get it backwards on whether it's supposed to go under or over, as long as you're consistent, it'll look fine, it'll just be a reversed braid, which still looks good (very slightly different - look the center of french and dutch braids to get an idea how different they look).

Hope that helps!

~Blaze

DoubleCrowned
September 8th, 2011, 05:07 PM
The way you have it now does not look exceptionally wild to those who have posted, but if you feel it doesn't quite suit you, that it is a bit on the wild side, I think you will be happier with it once all of it is past the shoulder and/or when you are able to get it into some more controlled styles.

I would love to see long-haired guys trying out the wrapped or folded pony tails of the Revolutionary War era, especially when they need a tidy look. I also think there is room for some rowdier styles for casual wear, although I have no idea how to suggest achieving the look.

getoffmyskittle
September 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM
My hair is like that too, or worse even (as yours looks pretty good to me). I just consider it to be part of my irresistible charm. ;)

Panth
September 9th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I use one of those boar bristle brushes people have recommended for my hair.

Ok, firstly - are you using the BBB as the only brush/comb, or are you using it after brushing/combing with something else?

BBBs are not meant to be used as detangling devices - they will rip through and break hair if used in this way. You should detangle first (most people prefer a wide-toothed comb (resin/plastic, wood or horn) though some prefer a tangle teaser (a special detangling brush) ... for many hairtypes, a brush is worse than a comb). When you detangle, you should do so with patience! You should also work from the bottom up (so, comb the last 3-4" until knot-free, move up 3-4" and comb until knot-free, repeat until you reach the top of your head).

The BBB has 3 main uses - 1) to "polish" the hair, 2) to move sebum from the roots of the hair towards the tips (particularly in water only / sebum only (WO/SO) routines), 3) to apply oils (apply small amount to palms of the hand, pat onto tips of BBB bristles, then use).

When doing any of those 3 things, the hair should be thoroughly detangled before the BBB even gets into your hand. :p With thick hair, sectioning may help the BBB reach all of your hair.

my hair washing routine is just the usual shampoo/conditioner routine with maybe some moisturizer afterwards.

Right... ok. Well you have several potential issues. Firstly, technique. If you pile your all hair onto the top of your head, stop it. Now. It's unnecessary and only causes tangles, which results in ripping them out and breakage. Secondly, if you apply shampoo to your entire length, try only using it on your scalp (this is actually the only place it's needed). Let the suds run through your length as you wash it out - most 'regular' shampoos are harsh enough that this *will* give your length all the cleaning it needs.

Secondly, shampoo. Your shampoo may be too harsh, resulting in damage. This varies with hairtype (and other things, e.g. how often you use it). The main ways to fix this is to dilute the shampoo (often this actually makes it work *better*, as it can get down to your scalp more easily) and/or experimenting with a sulphate-free shampoo. However, if you use a sulphate-free shampoo you'll need a 'cone-free conditioner, as sulphates are the part of the shampoo that can remove the 'cones and without them you'll get build-up.

Thirdly, conditioner. Conditioners in general provide moisture and/or protein (as well as slip, to reduce tangles, plus stuff to increase shine). From your photo, I'd say moisture may be required. There's an easy test for this: find a shed hair and stretch it between your fingers a little. Stretches and stretches (like melted cheese) and won't return to it's original length = too much moisture, too little protein. Breaks without even a bit of stretch = too much protein, too little moisture. Stretches a little, then breaks (and, if you don't force it to breaking point, returns to near-normal length once tension is removed) = just right.

You can add moisture or protein by changing conditioner, or by adding other things to your routine, e.g. deep-treatments.

I'm keeping the beard yeah, it's been alot longer actually, beard hair is even crazier to maintain.

Awesome. :D

as for me braiding my hair, well maybe one day I'd have to teach myself. I don't have any long haired female family to help, they all have short hair.

I second BlazingHeart's recommendation. Start with some string, then move onto your own hair. Something she didn't mention is that using a mirror often doesn't help. You'll get less confused if you try to do it by feel, then check it with a mirror once finished.