PDA

View Full Version : Lose 6 inches? No way!

UnderdarkQueen
September 7th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Hi all, :)
Just the other day my friend who was previously a cosmetology student told me that to get rid of the split ends on my hair, I would have to chop about 6 inches off.
Naturally, the idea of doing this about brings me to tears.
So I was thinking about how to take care of the split ends without losing about a year's worth of hair growth.
My plan is this: maybe a 1-2 inch trim to get rid of the worst damage, then very regular S+D missions to help bring the others to an end, and oil the rest to lose the splitty look.
With enough persistence does this plan sound like it would be capable of keeping me from losing 6 inches?
Last measurement I was at 32 inches, and the current goal is 45, which would put me at hip length.
Any tips to help the splits too?
(Yes, I realize cutting is the only way to absolutely lose them. This is why I bought some hair scissors of my very own. But like I've noticed here and elsewhere, it seems hair dressers learn a different system of measurement when trimming.)
Help me, pretty please? :D

dulce
September 7th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I think that's a good idea,keep growing with small trims you do yourself,keep your hair up to protect ends and avoid dyes,chemicals and anything else that would damage your hair,and oil the ends regularily.I would avoid salons if you want to keep your length.People say all kinds if things,doesn't always mean they are right.Hair stylists in the past have told me my hair was too fine to ever grow long.But I had tailbone length hair in my 20's and now at 59 it is at waist and still gowing well.So, make up your own mind,do what you feel is best for you and take other people's opinions with a grain of salt.

11eleven
September 7th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Here's what has worked for me after my hair had been dyed bleached and fried and pretty much turned to mush, plus lots of splits; Lots of overnight coconut, olive oil, and shea butter treatments. Hair up in protective styling at all times (can remain oiled as no one can tell) and braided at nights. Finger combing then brushing. Henna!!! Gentle, gentle, gentle. Good luck, hope it works out for you. My hair is now hip length, soft, silky, strong and only a little damage left at the end. Good luck :D

dulce
September 7th, 2011, 07:09 PM
If you have some splits,regular small trims and treating your hair in a healthy way and keeping ends moisturized should allow you to keep growing the length out while gradually removing splits,if it doesn't work, you can always cut it all off later.Two years ago when I had blonde highlights at the salon, it gave me splits-I did what I told you, and was able to keep most of my length and today when I check I can't find any splits.Good luck whatever you decide.

WinterButterfly
Have you taen a good detailed look at the ends of your hair? Do you know for sure that the splits go up 6 inches? Many styalists exagerate the ammount necessary for a trim. Maybe she was thinking how much she would want to take off to style it is well. Many styalists think about styaling your hair when they think of a trim. When I think of a trim, I think only what is absolutely necessary to keep the hair growing healthy. I would first search for all your splits and cut them off one by one. Then if it was very uneaven, I would trim only what was needed to make it look nice. My splits are only ever about 1 milimeter up the hair shaft. I usually only need to trim about 1/4 inch off to make it look better. But I also snip off splits whenever I see them. Then they don't build up so much.

truepeacenik
I learned at the meet last weekend that benign neglect will get you far...like calves.
I S&D and every so often do a micro trim. (Measure in milimetres)

I'm now forcing my perfectionist self to stop that.

That said, two-three years ago I trimmed seven inches off, from classic to tailbone.
It was rough mentally, but was good for getting rid of my mangled ends.
I got trimming happy again a year ago. So I'm just now "leaving classic" by an inch.

jojo
September 7th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Id do monthly micro trims by this time next year most of the damage will be gone and none of the length sacrificed. Id also suggest daily light oilings to the very ends and keep it up!

Yame
September 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Honey, to lose all the split ends I have I'd probably have to shave my head! LOL!

S&D if you have the patience (for me it's easy since my hair is coarse and dark), do microtrims or dustings once every few months, and LEAVE YOUR HAIR BE! Treat it gently, eat healthy but for heaven's sake just leave your hair alone.

Unless there is some serious, visible damage there is no reason to lose that much length over splits. Splits don't just happen on the hemline, you know. Don't let anybody talk you into cutting off 6 inches unless YOU want your hair to be 6 inches shorter.

UnderdarkQueen
September 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Ugh, I'd started typing up a long reply and then LHC logged me out. :(
Here's the synopsis.
Don't dye, don't use heat anymore, mostly CO with shampoo maybe every 3-4 days.
Heard of microtrimming before but hadn't considered it in my regular hair care.

WinterButterfly: I can't see the damage more than 1 1/2-ish inches with the occasional one further up, where I have those white 'dots'.

TruePeacenik: I love the easiness of benign neglect but my hair gets tangly and unmanageable, especially in the cold and windy Rochester winters! :(

Yame: S+D isn't so bad, my hair's a tad on the darker side of medium brown colors ~

I had more to say but, like I said, I got logged out before my post before got put online. Happy to hear I have support though. :D

MrsGuther
September 7th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I say don't do a big chop. Small trims should do the trick to help get rid of splits, without sacrificing lots of length.

Yame
September 7th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Yame: S+D isn't so bad, my hair's a tad on the darker side of medium brown colors ~

I know some people just don't have the time and patience for them, and I can understand that for people who have fine hair, especially fine and light hair.

I have no issues with S&Ding, I find that it gives me something to do while I am watching certain videos that require more listening than watching, or when I'm just bored... and it's very easy on my coarse, dark hair. Not frustrating at all... relaxing, even. If I had a different hair type, I'm not sure I'd feel the same way.

Cowgirl16
September 7th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't cut that much off my hair! I think if you should start with frequent S&D and microtrims. Stay away from heat and keep your hair up. Good Luck

Athena's Owl
September 7th, 2011, 11:11 PM
split the difference.

Trim off three inches and then do your S&D thing. if after a month you don't see improvement, bite the bullet and trim off another inch. but after that, wait two months to assess it again.

Teazel
September 7th, 2011, 11:30 PM
TruePeacenik: I love the easiness of benign neglect but my hair gets tangly and unmanageable, especially in the cold and windy Rochester winters! :(

Don't forget the "benign" part of benign neglect. Learn what works for your hair: if having it loose means it's getting too much wear and tear, put it up in protective updos. In cold, windy weather you can cover it all up with a scarf or roomy hat.

Try not to worry too much about split ends, they come with the territory. S&Ds help if splits really bug you, and so does putting your hair up. You won't fret over them if you can't see them - and neither will your friend. ;)

Hope that helps a bit. Welcome to LHC! :flower:

AlabasterAlice
September 7th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Oh poo to them. My neighbor told me I would need to chop off at least 8-10 inches of my hair to get rid of my damage. No way hun! I've started babying my hair and doing micro trims with the moon, and slowly but surely my hair is becoming healthier. Just changing the way I washed my hair and what I washed it with helped so much. I've decided that with my wurls and frizz, who's going to really notice some split ends? And if you see some damage, so what? I've improved a lot since I joined LHC, and that wasn't long ago.

Go ahead and do micro trims if you want, but don't do a big chop! Especially if it'll leave you sad afterwards.

MonaLisa
September 8th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Sigh...
I think one thing we should try to accept is that nothing is perfect.
Your hair will never be perfect. You will have few splits left, or new ones will appear within a month, it's just how it goes.
I think cutting off 6 inches to get rid of splits is bizzare...
that is if your hair is healthy overall and it doesn't look bad.

Kaelee
September 8th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I had a stylist tell me my hair was in horrible shape (i KNEW) it wasn't. I had almost no damage.) and proceed to cut off more than I wanted and butcher the cut besides.

I really don't understand some stylists.