PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with sebum beads

lora410
June 30th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I am so sick of these itchy sebum balls. Anyone know why this is happening? I get them no matter if I use a shampoo bar or gentle shampoo. If I condition my scalp or just condition the length. I have tried scrithing and oiling to loosen it up, but it is driving me insane.It's not like overly bad just every itch produces one.

Ruthless
June 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I think this is what I have?? I scratch my scalp and then I get hard little bumps on my scalp...

spidermom
June 30th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I guess I've never had this because I don't know what you mean. Best of luck finding a remedy.

Nightshade
June 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I get these on occasion. The best thing I've found is to skirtch, apply a scalp oil and let that sit for an hour or three (I use my own blend of carrier oils and EOs), then shower, applying a bit of diluted shampoo directly to the scalp.

ChloeDharma
June 30th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I second the scalp oiling idea, maybe with a sebum balancing oil like jojoba and balancing EO's like ylang ylang.

You might want to look into your diet too, a lack of EFA's can cause sebum weirdness......EPO is a good one if thats the case.....but of course as well as good dietary fats.

lora410
June 30th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I think this is what I have?? I scratch my scalp and then I get hard little bumps on my scalp...

its when you scratch and get a little ball of sebum under your fingernail. It sounds like you have scalp acne to me, because I get the same thing.

lora410
June 30th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I second the scalp oiling idea, maybe with a sebum balancing oil like jojoba and balancing EO's like ylang ylang.

You might want to look into your diet too, a lack of EFA's can cause sebum weirdness......EPO is a good one if thats the case.....but of course as well as good dietary fats.

Well the good news is my jojoba oil arrives today in the mail and i already have ylang ylang so I will give it a try :flower:

jojo
June 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I have never got these and also don't have a clue what you mean.

Could you not scritch them, is that the right term? You know with a wooden comb?

ChloeDharma
June 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Ah i just saw the comment on scalp acne, are you sure it's sebum beads and not that clear liquid that can ooze from spots and go crusty? God some of the things we talk about here are rank!
Anyway, it might be worth checking if its from spots or is actually the sebum beads.
I'm glad your Jojoba is arriving, that's great for spots and acne....also it might be worth adding in lavender and even tea tree EO's to deal with the spots.

Kirin
June 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
My daughter gets clumps of waxy sebum so I know what you are referring to I think. I go with the flow of using oil on the scalp directly. We do this for my daughter, tea tree works best with castor, but I've never tried jojoba, that might work well (if not better!).

Oil seems to break up oil. Sometimes shampoo bars and even shampoo can't seem to "cut" through it to make it clean. Oil usually breaks up the sebum, and then it can be washed away.

xrosiex
June 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I really dont know. But I'm wondering. Maybe after you use the jojoba oil, and you wash again. You could use a final rinse with acv dilluted with water. That may help. I read here on these boards that acv can help restore your scalps ph balance. Maybe it could help get your scalp back to normal. Just a thought...:)

Finoriel
June 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Sorry for hijacking :o without any helpful advice regarding the sebum beads. Never even heared of those before.
But I´m curious about, what EFA and EPO means? Those abbreviations are not familiar for me and google was not shedding light on that either. Could be essential fatty acids, I guess? and possibly Edible Power Onions? :o No idea for the EPO. Just curious.

lora410
June 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Ah i just saw the comment on scalp acne, are you sure it's sebum beads and not that clear liquid that can ooze from spots and go crusty? God some of the things we talk about here are rank!
Anyway, it might be worth checking if its from spots or is actually the sebum beads.
I'm glad your Jojoba is arriving, that's great for spots and acne....also it might be worth adding in lavender and even tea tree EO's to deal with the spots.

My scalp only breaks out once in awhile and these a contiuious even when no acne is present. I am going to make me a nice scalp oil tonight and see if it helps :)

lora410
June 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I really dont know. But I'm wondering. Maybe after you use the jojoba oil, and you wash again. You could use a final rinse with acv dilluted with water. That may help. I read here on these boards that acv can help restore your scalps ph balance. Maybe it could help get your scalp back to normal. Just a thought...:)

I used acv yesterday and haven't noticed any issues today.It has been awhile since I used it so you may be correct on that one.

kwaniesiam
June 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Sorry for hijacking :o without any helpful advice regarding the sebum beads. Never even heared of those before.
But I´m curious about, what EFA and EPO means? Those abbreviations are not familiar for me and google was not shedding light on that either. Could be essential fatty acids, I guess? and possibly Edible Power Onions? :o No idea for the EPO. Just curious.

EPO = Evening Primrose Oil? dunno either...

I get the sebumy waxy gunk under my nails if I scratch my scalp sometimes, I find that scritching or a good session with a BBB and then oiling with some lavender and tea tree oil really helps, as well as either a diluted clarifying shampoo or baking soda wash.

tsf
June 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
oh! I thought I was the only one with that digusting gunk!!!
straight white vinegar applied with a pointy tipped bottle seems to be helping some but it dries my hair.

I just can't stand it and I've been using vinegar followed by Neutrogena TGel. It does seem to be helping but too soon to say if it will be a long term fix since I've only done it 4 times so far.

Dianyla
June 30th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Essential Fatty Acids
Evening Primrose Oil

:)

Finoriel
July 1st, 2008, 01:41 AM
I see :) thanks a lot kwaniesiam and Dianyla! Evening Primrose oil = EPO :D saved.
Evening Primrose oil (Oenothera biennis) is indeed one of the good "in and outside" oils for the combination of dry skin and acne. With high amounts of gamma-linoleic acid like Borage seed oil, but without Eruca acid. Mixed with a nice carrier oil it could really help to balance out sebum problems.