PDA

View Full Version : What's your hair idiosyncrasy?

teal
September 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM
That is, something that makes no (or very little) rational sense, but you cling to it anyway. :D It can be pretty much anything - a treatment, a style, a routine, a particular way of doing something.

For me, my hair must have layers, even though I don't 'do' anything with them or appreciate them in any way. For some reason, whenever I have a blunt hemline I get a seriously uncontrollable urge to cut my hair. The only way I've ever been able to grow and maintain longer hair has been by having layers. I'll probably need to have fairytale ends if not layers if/when I reach terminal length. I don't understand it at all, lol! :o

Ashenputtel
September 7th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I have to use conditionner. I just can't not do it even when I use a very hydrating shampoo and I don't seem to need it.

MychelleC
September 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Mine is that I have long hair at all when it lives in a ponytail! I'm only girly when I am performing, and the rest of the time my hair is pulled back and unattended. Yet I want, love, and need the length - even though people are always surprised to find out I have it. :)

slo2gro
September 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
OK I have to brush my hair every night before bed dunno why just HAVE to lol haha

amyhenna
September 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I semi-obsess about how the top five or six inches of my hair is red from henna, and the rest isn't, but I don't just put henna on the bottom couple feet of it to match it to the top. I feel like I need to henna it as it grows out, doing roots only, so I can see how long I've been henna'ing, as measured in inches.

If I'd only henna the rest of it, I could have all matching hair (I think) like I am looking forward to. At the rate I'm going now, based on my rate of growth and length of hair, I think I'll be waiting almost two years to have it fully henna'ed :-)

gthlvrmx
September 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I have to keep it long. I dont know why, i just do.
Eyy see what i did there?

:cool:
Keeping it cool.
I have to use my hairsticks, spin pins, i love, but they frustrate me sometimes. I must take it out of a braid and pretend im like...pocahontas or something when meeko did her braid, all fast but smooth. I don't know, i just HAVE to do that.

bna_rapunzel
September 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I can't leave the house without a braid. At least one. Somewhere in my hair. :) english, dutch, french, rope, and lace are my most commonly used braids.

Roseate
September 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I used to be absolutely devoted to this one brand of leave-in conditioner. It didn't work particularly well, my hair didn't look any better when I used it, but I was completely sold on this stuff.

I've finally moved on, but I don't know how many bottles of that useless goo I put on my head!

luthein
September 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I have to play with my ends. I've been trying to kick the habit since 2008.

battles
September 7th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I never realized before, but I always cut my hair when it reaches shoulder length. It wasn't for any specific reason, or that I even noticed the length. It would just hit shoulder and I'd get this nagging urge for a cute SHORT haircut. :nono:

Not this time!

silverjen
September 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
battles, you sound just like me! We can do it, we can get past shoulder!

I can't decide whether to keep my bangs or grow them out. I've been waffling since last February. :(

Honestwitness
September 7th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I refuse to look for splits. I hardly ever find them anyway, but I only look at the ends of my hair for about 2 seconds and if I don't see any right away…I just give up. If I find any, which I have about three times in the last year, I just pull them off the tips of my hair with my fingernails. I can't be bothered with search and destroy with scissors. I'm afraid my old scissors would make more splits, anyway.

battles
September 7th, 2011, 08:26 PM
battles, you sound just like me! We can do it, we can get past shoulder!

Yes! :cheer: I just decided to start keeping my hair up all the time, so maybe that's an idea for you also? :)

Leah Polamalu
September 7th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I think mine is picking my split ends and pulling them apart...I just can't help it! I find myself doing it a lot when I'm in class.

Kibeth
September 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I have to touch it frequently. If it's up, I pat the bun every few hours. If it's down, I adjust it, pull on it a bit, swish it from side to side. If I have it in a single braid I will sway so that the braid hits one side of my body and then the other. I really cannot keep my hands off of it.

Nastasia
September 7th, 2011, 10:30 PM
My hairstyles have to be neat (can't stand messy buns at all :() and symmetrical. No off-centered buns or side braids here, they just tweak me out somehow. I also tend to check the state of my bun often if I'm not paying attention to something else. These aren't really idiosyncrasies, just proof that I'm a bit neurotic :).

pixiedust
September 7th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I remember last time I grew my hair out, and I had no idea how to take car of longer hair, I had this routine that I HAD TO PREFORM every night. In hindsight knowing more now, I realize it was entirely counterproductive: wash before bed, brush into a low ponytail wet and sleep on it that way. In the morning it was always a wreck but I continued this routine for like 2 years.

ericthegreat
September 8th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I instinctively just HAVE TO show off the length of my hair. That's why you don't see me wear my hair in any kind of updos. I can do a few simple buns like the cinnabun or a chignon, but I almost never wear my hair up in those styles. I just love wearing my hair long and straight and down as you know. And even when I need to wear my hair tied up, I'll only wear it in a high ponytail or a low ponytail, or a neat English braid with a long tassel, that way you can still see the majority of my hair length fanning out.

luxepiggy
September 8th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I absolutely must blow dry my hair after washing. I just don't like the way it looks air-dried. On the rare occasion when I get distracted and my hair inadvertently ends up drying naturally, I'll actually dampen it with a misting bottle so I can re-dry it with my hair dryer (^(oo)^)v

linnepinne
September 8th, 2011, 01:40 AM
I don't like wearing my hair down!

Maybe strange for some of you, but I always feel like my hair looks horribly thin, tapered and stringy when I wear it down. Even when people tells me it doesn't. But I practice sometimes, whem I've managed to get some nice bun or braid waves to give my hair a little more life. And I hope I will get over this when my hair is acctually long. Super long hair will at least be something to show off, since my hair is nothing special in thickness/colour/texture.

Sweetie
September 8th, 2011, 01:42 AM
My hair must always be detangled, I use to brush anytime I can, any time I go to the bathroom - infact I have 3 tangle teezers (home, gym, and bag), 2 BBB (home, office) and a comb (home) - I guess I'm obsessed by tangles!

Shesta
September 8th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Whenever my hair is down, even when styled somehow, even when it looks cool, I feel this constant urge to braid it. I think it has something to do with the weight of the locks framing my face.

supbanana
September 8th, 2011, 04:02 AM
My hairstyles have to be neat (can't stand messy buns at all :() and symmetrical. No off-centered buns or side braids here, they just tweak me out somehow. I also tend to check the state of my bun often if I'm not paying attention to something else. These aren't really idiosyncrasies, just proof that I'm a bit neurotic :).

I'm the exact same way. If my updos aren't perfectly center, I start all over. A girl in my math class comes to class every time with a side pony, and throughout the entire class I just want to reach out and straighten it!

When I find a split end, I have to remove it. If I have no scissors I bite it off. I know it's terrible and it's just causing more splits, but if I don't do it it bothers me and then I'm bummed that I'll never find that split again. :p

Raiscake
September 9th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I need to trim my hair every 6 months. Doesn't matter how damaged my hair is or otherwise. It needs to happen strictly every 6 months.

Kindredraeven
September 9th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Hmmmm let's see, MY must haves are......
Conditioner, gotta be put in a bun (for work), gotta brush it before bed, and I'm a hair twirler!
I am always twirling my hair. :crush:

MinderMutsig
September 9th, 2011, 06:02 AM
My hair must always be detangled, I use to brush anytime I can, any time I go to the bathroom - infact I have 3 tangle teezers (home, gym, and bag), 2 BBB (home, office) and a comb (home) - I guess I'm obsessed by tangles!
This. It's actually quite bad because I'm a wurly. I've been wearing my hair curly for the past week or so and I keep having to sit on my hands because you can. not. touch. curly. hair.
I need to control myself.
It has to stop.

I'm hoping I'll grow out of it. I used to be a shoulder length cutter and once I got to APL that stopped so I know I can do this! I just have to hold on for a while and the urge will pass. Right?

redmj
September 9th, 2011, 06:25 AM
My hair HAS to smell good. Which is really bad because I use natural cleansers and conditioners that DON"T smell at all and I don't even use perfume I could spray on it. So, usually I just put my perfume oil I use on my hands and rub it through. That is when I don't use my hairspray.

celebriangel
September 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I have to use conditionner. I just can't not do it even when I use a very hydrating shampoo and I don't seem to need it.

Well, there is no such thing as hydrating shampoo. Shampoos don't hydrate; all they do is remove dirt and sebum from your hair, and possibly leave behind a few cones if they have cones in them.

Admittedly, with F hair, it's easy to weigh down with too much conditioning, but it's a good thing you feel you need to use it because most people do. A shampoo-only routine will wreck most people's hair.

Rocket22
September 9th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Omg this is me too!! don't think I was always this bad but now darn it, seems like all I do is comb out my hair. And it's super fine and tangles easily. It looks great for about 2 minutes. somehow I keep thinking when it gets longer it will miraculously be easier?

Venefica
September 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I always use shampoo twice when I wash, I do not think my hair feel clean if I do not shampoo it twice. I do not know if it do any good, or if it is true or not, but it have become a habit. I have to use shampoo twice at every wash.

Anje
September 9th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I need to comb out my hair while it's still damp after the shower. I can't seem to leave it alone to dry, ever.

One of my hair's idiosyncrasies is that it doesn't like anything other than oil as a leave-in. No aloe, no conditioner, no serum, nothing. It inevitably gets grabby feeling, either once dry or over the next few days.

AcornMystic
September 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM

That is exactly it!! There is a strong tendency for OCD on my dad's side, and so it leaks out in a lot of things I do. With the artistic tendencies in my family the OCD can wreak havoc because not only do I obsess about things but they must have an artistic value to them. So with my hair, it's all about artistic expression, whether it be up a certain way, have decorations in it, now that hair has become something so important to me that I use to express myself. It must be just so. I can already tell it's going to get worse the longer my hair gets. *facepalm*

Tabihito
September 9th, 2011, 02:25 PM
This. It's actually quite bad because I'm a wurly. I've been wearing my hair curly for the past week or so and I keep having to sit on my hands because you can. not. touch. curly. hair.
I need to control myself.
It has to stop.

I'm hoping I'll grow out of it. I used to be a shoulder length cutter and once I got to APL that stopped so I know I can do this! I just have to hold on for a while and the urge will pass. Right?

This is basically me as well, only I haven't worn it curly in ages because I have to wear it in a bun for school (military uniform and all). I'm wearing it curly tonight though, so we'll see how long I can keep from messing with it...

Signe
September 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I have to touch it frequently. If it's up, I pat the bun every few hours. If it's down, I adjust it, pull on it a bit, swish it from side to side. If I have it in a single braid I will sway so that the braid hits one side of my body and then the other. I really cannot keep my hands off of it.
I do this!:p

SusanSt
September 9th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I have to have bangs (convinced my forehead is too high to go without), though I've never even tried growing them out and I sometimes think it would be easier to not have them.

Clem_Dela
September 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
it HAS to be soft and touchable! i guess that makes sense and isn't that ridiculous... right?

i simply can't stand it if it's rough, or waxy, or dry, or overly tangled. I just can't. I touch my hair and play with that if i'm idling or bored. so it needs to be soft like a kitten. I get really frustrated if it isn't.

EtherealOde
September 9th, 2011, 07:28 PM

I'm the exact same way. If my updos aren't perfectly center, I start all over. .

This is me all over. I just can't stand it if my hair isn't just right. I've spent over an hour trying to get a topsy tail just so.

Needless to say, this drives my husband crazy, lol.