PDA

View Full Version : School-safe buns?

catarinalaree
September 7th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I know there are sooooo many buns out there which perfectly hold the hair in place but I seem to be having slight difficulty finding buns which I can wear to school in peace of mind.

My main problem is that, I don't exactly get bullied but when I hang out around boys (my BFF is a guy) they seem to enjoy pulling my hair... So there is no way I'd wear a bun that needs sticks or forks or fancy pins cos I'm sure they'd get stolen. And other buns with bobby pins, I'm scared that a little pull might bring it apart and I'm trying to really hide my length well. I'm not sure how well I can trust bobby pins to keep buns or tucked braids in all day.

So can you recommend a boy-proof (how childish of them, 16 year olds pulling a girl's hair?!), no hair-toys needed, stay-all-day bun?

MandyBeth
September 7th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Spin pins hide very well and can't be pulled straight out.

CornishMaid
September 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Ok i have seen a pic somewhere on here of a french or dutch plait, that coils around and ends in a bun. Have no idea what its called as am still fairly new to all this, but will have a search and get back to you :o

racrane
September 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
First of all: I hate boys when they're like that. It's why I date an older guy. Even guys my age (college age) can be jerks.

Second of all, is a flexi-8 good enough? It's not as easy to pull out as a hair stick...

There are good elastics and some really pretty scrunchies out there that are safe for hair and look nice.

Juneii
September 7th, 2011, 01:35 PM
You can try to look for videos on how to do self held buns... but those are quite easy to yank down. Seconding the spin pin idea, they are hard to take out if your friends have never seen one. And they hide pretty well. Aside from that you need to tell them to keep their hands to themselves if you want your hair to stay in place.

Kyla
September 7th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Like Mandybeth said, spin pins. They are fantastic! It appears that you have very thick (and very lovely) hair, so you may need three or four to hold a bun super securely (they come in packs of two).

Secondly, what about a sock bun? It's simple and not too hard, although there is a learning curve.

catarinalaree
September 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Racrane I would try out a flexi-8 but my school would probably not allow them :rolleyes: plus I have no idea where to get them in the UK :)

CornishMaid It'd be great if you could find a pic, I need some inspiration :)

MandyBeth and Juneii Thanks, I might try them, just need to figure out where to get them :confused:

CornishMaid
September 7th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I think its a lace french braid, but coiled right around. Check out Madoras album she has the most amazing braided buns and all sorts!

Animae
September 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM
And thirdly, a self defense course. You know what stopped my guy friends from pulling my hair in HS? There is a move where if someone grabs you from behind you can twist the arm from the wrist to behind their backs, which gives you control.

Much like Pavlov and his dogs, it shouldn't take them long to learn to keep their paws off.

CornishMaid
September 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Oh , I forgot to say, I send my daughter to school with her hair bunned & her Flexi8.
We bought them off a uk seller on ebay. Not much choice, but saves having to pay customs charges.

pepperminttea
September 7th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Another for spin pins. Go for as flat a bun as you can make, so it's harder to grab hold of. CinnamonCurls' vortex bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhVn1n8gpM) is quite flat and absolutely stunning.

First of all: I hate boys when they're like that. It's why I date an older guy. Even guys my age (college age) can be jerks.

Agreed. That said, I have met some very mature sixteen year old boys, and some 30-year-old men who would do the same thing with pulling hairtoys out. (Ask me how I know. :rolleyes::p )

Madora
September 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I think its a lace french braid, but coiled right around. Check out Madoras album she has the most amazing braided buns and all sorts!

Thanks for your lovely compliment, Cornish Maid!

To original poster Catarinalaree, I would try and disuade your friends from pulling your hair, period. I'd hate to think what would happen with someone tugging at your hair while it was still held with a Flexi 8!

Curly Hermione
September 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Whenever I do a bun I can hide the bobby pins usually, though i'm no expert and you've been given good advice already. Also, if any of my guy friends mess with my hair, I just grab their ear and twist :) it works a treat!

DuckyDot
September 7th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I also say spin-pins! You can find them at Boots :) But only the larger stores I think! :)

NotInPortland
September 7th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Racrane I would try out a flexi-8 but my school would probably not allow them :rolleyes: plus I have no idea where to get them in the UK :)

CornishMaid It'd be great if you could find a pic, I need some inspiration :)

MandyBeth and Juneii Thanks, I might try them, just need to figure out where to get them :confused:

They have spin pins at boots and I got mine at claires accessories :)

Mrspuddinhead
September 7th, 2011, 03:18 PM
How about a sock bun?? I love sock buns and I secure them with rubber bands. To keep the bands from rubbing against your hair you can tie a piece of ribbon around the bun then rubber bands on top.The rubber bands will be hidden so no way for those pesky boys to pull them out. :)

I just thought you might like to know I'll wear my hair in a pony tail half way pulled thru and my fiancee will still pull it lose and he is 34 years olds. Not hard or anything he just can't help him self. Though I think he does it to annoy me. lol

pepperminttea
September 7th, 2011, 03:21 PM
You can also get spin pins in Asda. :)

AshNight1214
September 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Oh, boys. They can be a pain, can't they?

I've grown fond of the vortex bun. It's just bobby pins (not exciting and sparkly enough to grab their attention!) and it hold like cement! :)

MissManda
September 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I also recommend the spin pins. They take way too much effort for most people to take out which dissolves the joy of insta-hair-down. :p

Another style you could try is a tucked French braid. It doesn't stick out as much as other styles, plus you can conceal the pins that are holding it up very easily.

Tealpuffin
September 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
You can get spin pins in boots. I think they also sell them in Asda. I second the sock bun. What about getting a bun Donut they are so easy to use! :) x

stacyyyy1972
September 7th, 2011, 04:40 PM
bangle buns too secure pretty well since they are wrapped around the bracelet. If they come loose just retwist the whole bracelet part and resecure but the length of your hair is still wrapped around the bracelet so it doesnt show how long it is and doesnt come loose as easily :)

tigereye
September 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Another vote for spin pins: you can get them from boots, ASDA, or if all else fails, eBay, but then you have to pay postage. But they're pretty difficult for people to pull out, as people have said.
Fully rolled sock buns make amazing messy buns on my hair, and are fairly secure on their own, but even more so with any sort of pin. And anyone pulling at it results in more messiness.
Otherwise, normal sock buns are good too.
If I ever had a problem with people pulling hair toys and such out, I find doing things like the vortex bun, and using a whole pack of pins from Sally's, usually puts them off, because they get bored when they've pulled out a few and the hair's still not going anywhere.
I often had a pencil in my hair, but sometimes I did something purely by accident which might help you. When I didnt have a pencil, I had an old pen in my bag. It had a stiff lid, and one of those hinges to keep it in your pocket. But one day the hinge broke, leaving quite a large bit at the top, and I filed the rough bit down, because I liked the pen, couldn't be bothered to get some more, and the rough bit annoyed me when writing. So anyway, a pen with a stiff lid and a plastic bit sticking out from the top. Now, putting it in my hair, and sticking the lid on meant you couldn't pull it out either way, because the lid held it at one end, and the plastic stump at the other.

ETA: not sure how relevant this would be to you, but is one of the other things I've had a go at. Works in the same way as the pen. Being in a pipe band, I have an interesting selection of kiltpins, one of which was a plain post, with a fixed ball at one end, and a screw on one on the other. They were so stiff, that they took a fair bit of effort to put in,but also takes a fair bit of effort for anyone else to get out.

(what can I say, Im always able to find something to put my hair up)

Kiwiwi
September 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
And thirdly, a self defense course. You know what stopped my guy friends from pulling my hair in HS? There is a move where if someone grabs you from behind you can twist the arm from the wrist to behind their backs, which gives you control.

Much like Pavlov and his dogs, it shouldn't take them long to learn to keep their paws off.

I strongly agree. I find it sad (not pathetic!) that you come here asking for hairstyles that are bully friendly. I know it's not true bullying but it's insane that you cannot wear whatever you want to wear because of people tearing it apart 'for fun'.

Tell them very strongly to STOP TOUCHING YOUR HAIR! If that doesn't work, make them feel it. I am very serious.

catarinalaree
September 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks everyone, for the ideas. I'll definitely look into getting spin pins and maybe doing a sock bun. We'll see :) I just hope I don't stop doing updos after a month of so cos the idea is to hide my length from boys as well as girls (we have some very rude, jealous people at my HS and you never know what they might do if they have scissors and are standing right behind you...)

I have a friend who's not allowed to cut her hair (religious reasons) but even though she always wears it up, it's only waist length - imagine having beautiful strong hair but the worst longest split ends and not being able to do anything about them shudder: I don't want my hair to become like hers but I wonder if wearing your hair up everyday will do any damage...

Madora
September 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I've been wearing my hair up for decades with no damage.

The thing to remember is to try and vary the hairstyles and particularly if you wear ponytails (which are not the most hairfriendly style).

Ditto if you wear parts in your hair.

Also use caution if you use hair elastics (don't pull the hair too tightly) and vary the places where you use the elastic.

Distributing the weight of your hair also helps when hairstyling.

Anje
September 7th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I recommend wearing an attitude instead of a hairstyle, that makes your hair safe around the guys. Warn them that the next one who touches your hair will eat flaming death, and wear some steel-toed boots to deliver it with.

archel
September 7th, 2011, 07:13 PM
It's not always age-related - I had a guy take off my clip on ponytail once. LOL! Boys...

MandyBeth
September 7th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Yup, get a tude about touching your hair. Works for most, but not all. DH, who is 36 now, will still mess with my hair just to be a boy pest.

catarinalaree
September 10th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I managed to do a vortex bun on my first day and it stayed all day and was not messed with. Probably also has to do with the fact that I kept away from boys but it's just the first day, they'll soon get bored and start annoying me again. But actually I even got a complement from a past crush!

Spin pins sound good and I'm giving a sock bun a try but some girls have discouraged me to wear my hair up everyday so I'm still not sure how that's gonna work. But thanks for all the recommendations, I'll put most to use :)

I'm still working on a solution for gym class and swimming class but this was most helpful.

PS. To all of you, who mention how I should be standing up to those boys and tell them to back off my hair, please understand that the type of boys who go to my school are not to be messed with and it's better to stay on their good side. The fact they mess with my hair is just an annoyance and is in no way provocative. :)