PDA

View Full Version : Help me clear this out!

Buffy
September 7th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Straight to the subject, because i'm sure you guys are tired of solving our (newbies) questions:

I told my mom to get me coconut oil, so she went to the pharmacy and got me some. Now, the problem is, in my language (Greek) the word for coconut and the word for walnut are very very similar (coconut=karida and walnut=karidi). So the label on the bottle is quite confusing (it's hand written). My mom asked for coconut , but maybe the girl god confused(yeah i'm mental like that, i'm imagining things:D), so i'm trying to figure it out!

*The consistency of the oil is thick , but it's still liquid. Way down to the bottom though, it cas formed some solid white "flakes"/paste.

*The color is a very light yellowish-white-clear...you know, MUCH much lighter than oilve oil but not 100% clear.

*I CAN'T figure out the smell, it's almost scent-less!

Would you happen to have any idea?? I know what i'm asking is stupid, cause you can't possibly diagnose over the internet, but any help will do! Thank you and i'm sorry!

Theobroma
September 7th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I've never actually seen walnut oil, but the (extra virgin) coconut oil I buy is snow white when solid and totally transparent and colourless when liquid. So perhaps what you have is, indeed, walnut oil?

In either case, though, I'd try it on my hair anyway. There's more than one kind of oil that's good for hair, and who knows? What you have might prove to be just as good as coconut!

juliaxena
September 7th, 2011, 05:55 AM
It doesn't sound like walnut to me. But it is true that I have only seen totally clear cocnut oil when in liquid state. It is white when in solid state (whic I suppose in Greece it would only be in winter). And the smell is very well, coconuty :).

Apriori
September 7th, 2011, 05:58 AM
My coconut oil smells very distinctively of coconut, but I think I've read that you can also get scent less coconut oil so I don't know how much that helps.
But coconut oil becomes liquid when the temperature is more than 25 degrees celsius and mine is white whem it is solid and kinda clear-ish when it become liquid.

Buffy
September 7th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Well, it's 30 degrees Celcius here, so i guess that might be a reason for it being liquid.

Does any of you have walnut oil? If so, does it form a white paste on the bottom?

When i put it on my hand it's 100% clear, but from inside the plastic bottle it seems to have a slight tint to it.

Ohhhh i don't know. Yeah, i'll use it anyway, but you know it's gonna be bugging me if i didn't try the most popular recommendation first. Thank you very much for your answers!!

lunalesca
September 7th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Put it in the fridge for a while, coconut oil will harden. Walnut oil will stay liquid! :) (at least I think so)

halo_tightens
September 7th, 2011, 06:31 AM
It sounds like coconut oil that I've seen, but I'm not familiar with walnut oil. I don't know how different or similar they are.

Carolyn
September 7th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Excellent idea on putting it in the fridge. I had a bottle of walnut oil a few years ago. It was a clear but yellowish liquid like EVOO. It never went solid even in the winter. It had a very strong smell. The strong smell was the reason I never purchased it again.

Buffy
September 7th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Thankyou very much my lovelies!! :o I'll try the fridge trick! :)

Clem_Dela
September 7th, 2011, 11:01 PM
sounds like Coconut to me :)

Aredhel77
September 8th, 2011, 02:03 AM
It sounds like refined coconut oil. I had a big jar of this bought from an Indian grocer, and sometimes it would be yellowish-liquid at the top of the jar and whiteish solid at the bottom. And it had no scent. The refined stuff is odourless :)

It still worked well for my hair though :blossom: