PDA

View Full Version : The Official Cowlick Club

DoubleCrowned
September 6th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I have read some hilarious cowlick descriptions on LHC, and think it will be fun to collect them in one place: The Cowlick Club. So, show me your cowlicks! Tell your cowlick stories, describe their stubbornness in delicious detail, and teach us how you control lr try to control yours.

I have four cowlicks on my head, so am greatly comforted when others tell about theirs, even if it is an only lick. After all, it only takes one cowlick wreck a 'do.

So comfort me: post pictures, compare embarrassing stories; let's have fun.
We are stuck with them, so may as well be laughing at how awful they can be.

gthlvrmx
September 6th, 2011, 11:13 PM
oh my god, story of my LIFE...i dont remember a time where i DIDN'T have a cowlick, even when i had straight hair! I had it at the top of my head like alphalpha did, so funny. Right now i have new growth right on the parting close to that circle where it spirals, and uh, i look funny :p

Busybee
September 7th, 2011, 09:56 AM
You asked on the thin hair thread for us to share, and quoted that my story below was funny..........so for posterity - I am gonna post it again below.
Once pictures are postable again on the website (are they STILL having issues?) I will post a pic of a typical ruined blowout, showing "the hole."

My cowlick is like "the eye of a tornado" on my left back/crown.... if I try to wear my hair down, it will part like the Red Sea by mid day at that cowlick - and you can see straight through to my scalp. In fact when I used to have the short Meg Ryan 1990's do - my mom would put her finger right on it, and say "Your hole is showing" .........nice, Mom.

So if I don't back comb slightly over that area, it parts and not only do my roots show, but so does the overall thinness of my hair ..... SO frustrating

DoubleCrowned
September 7th, 2011, 09:04 PM
oh my god, story of my LIFE...i dont remember a time where i DIDN'T have a cowlick, even when i had straight hair! I had it at the top of my head like alphalpha did, so funny. Right now i have new growth right on the parting close to that circle where it spirals, and uh, i look funny :p

Ohhhhh, new growth, not enough length to weigh it down. Tough one. Is it right in the middle? (But why do I ask? There is no good place for hair to stick up on the top of your head...)

Once pictures are postable again on the website (are they STILL having issues?) I will post a pic of a typical ruined blowout, showing "the hole."

I take monthly growth shots. Always wanting to get an encouraging shot, I very carefully arrange my hair, check it for cowlicks, glide carefully to the waiting camera, press the timed release for the shutter, smoothly turn my back to the camera, and wait. The shutter goes off, I yank out the card, run to the computer, put it in and see a photo of a big hole in the back of my head. Yes, we will have to post pictures.

pixiedust
September 7th, 2011, 11:37 PM
My whole head of hair is, in fact, a clustermuck of cowlicks. I'm pretty sure not a single strand of it grows in quite the same direction.

Neneka
September 8th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Before I didn't know that I have a cowlick. I didn't care about my hair enough to notice such a thing. But then at April I gave myself a 2'' pixie and there it was. It's on the back of my head. A hair swirl that makes my hair to stick in weird directions. It also shows my scalp. But I have noticed that it's very common to have some kind on hair swirls or cowlick on the back of ones' head. I have observed peoples heads during some boring lectures and almost everyone has it.

My SO has them too. He has one on his forehead and the hair in there just grows upwards. The funny thing is that he thinks everyone has it too. He can't understand that my bangs just grows downwards without me doing anything to it. "Why did you make it to look like that?" :doh:

clarinette
September 8th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I was always the "girl who didn't brush her hair" at school. My mother gave me those short haircuts (varying from bowl cul to bob) and I have a huge cowlick right at the nape , above my neck. A piece of hair was always standing up on its toes trying to peek out and get some fresh air. I looked untidy .... it's much better now that they're longer, although it now gives me a kind of wave at the back, so I'm unsure if I'm still a 1a with a wavy cowlick or if my hairtype has changed over the years.....
But I have a good reason not to cut my hair for sure. Those people (like my grandmother) who tell me long hair is "not neat" should remember short hair is everything BUT neat on me.....

N.J
September 8th, 2011, 01:57 AM
My cowlick is like "the eye of a tornado" on my left back/crown.... if I try to wear my hair down, it will part like the Red Sea by mid day at that cowlick - and you can see straight through to my scalp. In fact when I used to have the short Meg Ryan 1990's do - my mom would put her finger right on it, and say "Your hole is showing" .........nice, Mom.

So if I don't back comb slightly over that area, it parts and not only do my roots show, but so does the overall thinness of my hair ..... SO frustrating

I too have a cowlick EXACTLY at the same spot!! I have observed a lot of people having it though. Well at least those who have thin hair (like me :rolleyes:) (as if having thin hair was not enough :mad:). I am also trying to grow out my bangs and it is such a struggle. Every morning I clip it neatly to the side but by the time I reach work it becomes twisted like a stubborn spring :confused: . If I try to settle it again, my scalp starts oil secretion in tons :D Oh I end up looking an oily mess!

bratz81
September 8th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I have a cowlick but thankfully have learnt to hide it! It's mega noticeable if I have a straight across fringe, unless I straighten the crap out of it.

I have found though that if I part my hair on the right side you can see the cowlick and my hair has a funny 'kink' in it at the front. Which, considering my hair is straight looks hilarious. But if I part it on the left hand side - no problems :)

rags
September 8th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I have a cowlick right in the center/back of my head, and one in the front bangs area. The one in the back I can make behave somewhat the first day after washing by repeatedly combing it in the position I want it to lie in while it dries. By the second day however, it has decided that's enough of that and stubbornly goes back to looking like I have a bald spot. I discovered with my impulse chop this past October that short hair is NOT a good look on me, as the hair there literally stuck straight up in the air! (It was only a couple inches long and I have extremely baby fine hair). I was never so happy as when it became long enough to lie back down again. :rolleyes:

The bangs - that's another story. Every few years I forget how bad it is and cut bangs, only to have them (once again) stick straight up. I thought I had them outsmarted this last time and cut long sideswept bangs. So they made a nice odd little "hump" and went sideways. :rolleyes:

The bangs one is also fun when you have longer hair and wish to do a half up. You know how pretty the "pouf" looks with a half up? Mine looks great that way. For about an hour, when it splits straight down the middle. Every. Single. Time.

I'll get pics whenever the uploader works again.

NotInPortland
September 8th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I have cowlicks around my forehead area right at the hair line, there's one right on top then 2 or 3 towards the sides near my ears. It's not quite so bad now because my hair pulls them down a little and my hair is wavy anyway so I can kind of blend them in when it's down but when it's tied back for any style they always tend to stick out, especially one in particular at the side!! Also when I used to straighten my hair when I was younger they were the bane of my existence, they would just not. flatten. down. Gah!!

islandboo
September 8th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I have a cowlick in the center of my forehead - the bane of my attempts at bangs! - and another in the center at the base of my skull. You can see it in the action shots in my album - it either spits the smaller pieces out of the updo altogether or else makes a section of hair stick out a bit further than the rest (usually seen as a different colored arc of hair from the way it catches the light)

Ithonna
September 8th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I have embraced my cowlick, thanks to recent trends in bangs/fringe fashion. I have one around my left temple that makes the hair grow slightly back and to the right, if I part my hair on the left I have the 'emo' hair no problem. If I give myself a deep right side part, I have the natural life and curve to my bangs. VOILA! But that is the only cowlick I know of, I don't even think I have a crown at the back of my head; of course I could be mistaken.

Tealpuffin
September 10th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I also have a cowlick at my left temple. My side fringe used to go right to left, but because of this cowlick, I had to switch partins and fringe now goes left to right. My fringe now lies flat and doesn't just flick over.

One of the boys I used to look after had the cutest cowlick on the front of his head and it gave him this natural boy band hairstyle x n

misspurdy06
September 10th, 2011, 05:09 AM
I have a swirl on the back of my head that does not go away no matter what I do.

irishlady
September 10th, 2011, 06:03 AM
I have a cowlick on the left of my hairline. Thankfully it's not too big, but it makes me look bald. :rolleyes:

Busybee
September 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I take monthly growth shots. Always wanting to get an encouraging shot, I very carefully arrange my hair, check it for cowlicks, glide carefully to the waiting camera, press the timed release for the shutter, smoothly turn my back to the camera, and wait. The shutter goes off, I yank out the card, run to the computer, put it in and see a photo of a big hole in the back of my head. Yes, we will have to post pictures.

:laugh: HAHAHA. I completely understand your methodology here!

My monthly progress shot is just like your dilemma.

I literally set the hair "just so" with the cowlick covered, then glide sideways...... in one slow smooth direction to my camera, moving my head as little as possible, and then press the timed camera - keeping my body as stiff as a board!

I take several shots though, and re-check "the hole" to make sure it's covered.