PDA

View Full Version : Mayonnaise hair treatment for dry hair??

Mrspuddinhead
September 6th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Hello all!! Well..... my hair is rather dry and I wanted to try a homemade treatment. I've been looking at articles discussing the benefits of using mayonnaise as a hair treatment. I've read one article saying mayonnaise is full of stabilizers, emulsifiers and artificial additives and not to apply to hair with out adding eggs or some sort of oil, while other articles are saying it's perfectly fine to do so with out the addition of oil. So, I thought who better to ask then the LHC. Has anyone tried mayonnaise as a treatment for dryness?? If so how?? Did it work for you and would you recommend it?? How often should I use mayonnaise as a treatment?? Thank you so much!!

CurlyCap
September 6th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I think the basic idea is:
Egg = Protein, Fat (oil/cholesterol)
Oil = Oil (emolient, adds flexibility shine, seals in moisture)
Vinegar = same as an ACV rinse (not sure of the direct benefit but for me it's clarifying)

Real mayonnaise (I think Hellman's still has basic ingredients) is just made of the above. If you wanted, you could just mixed the above (egg and oil, then vinegar), and use it as a mask. I like that better because for some reason the smell isn't as strong.

ETA: Bah. Didn't completely answer your question.

I find that my hair is okay with mayo, but I think the drawback is the vinegar part. My hair can only do vinegar very rarely. I much prefer just oil or egg and oil. I think that's more based on what my hair needs.

But in a pinch I'll mix egg with oil and conditioner and get a decent deep treatment.

katsrevenge
September 6th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I've done it, I'd do it again.. but it is thew sort of thing I'd not do a lot of. I did use an off brand type that was basically all natural stuff. My hair loved it.

Oh, and I did smell like a macaroni salad for a week.

Mrspuddinhead
September 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Thank you for commenting. Curlycap I find my hair loves ASV so I do a ASV rinse after every washing. I stopping for a while and that's when I noticed my hair was becoming really dull and dry. It's funny how one thing works on someones hair while on others their hair hates it. :)

Katsrevenge my hair loves it as well. After two good washings and ASV rinse I really don't smell the mayonnaise. I was thinking of doing this treatment every two to three weeks. I'm also thinking of just buying hair mayonnaise from the Ethnic hair care section. I had a bad perm one time and that stuff helped save my hair. It's amazing!!

I went ahead and did the mayonnaise treatment last night. I believe I used way, way, way..... to much because my hair was overly oily even after a good shampooing and rinse. I used a 1/2 cup per directions from google website. I also applied to dry hair so next time I will wet my hair and do an ASV rinse before hand and see how it goes. I will say this even though my hair was oily after a wash my hair was sooo.....soft and boy could I see the shine. I washed again this morning to get out the left over oil followed by an ASV rinse and my hair is no longer dull or dry. It's ultra shiny and soft. Just what I wanted. I think I found my hair treatment!! Though I saw a hair mask where you add mayo, oil, and avocado or banana and I wanted to give that a try as well and see which one works better.