PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in Rose's Butterfly hair comb (Titanic)?

Ang_1989
September 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM
The last one has been listed on eBay and will remain there for seven more days. The price is currently stated at $41,00 and bidding is still open.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TITANIC-MOVIE-BUTTERFLY-COMB-HAND-MADE-ELEGANT-REPLICA-/290606529714?pt=AU_Transportation_Collectables&hash=item43a97fbcb2

I hope I can help someone who has been searching just as desperately for it as I have this way. :)

Catladyintown
September 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I saw that but postage to the USA is very high $18.39. But thanks for the link I am going to see how much it goes for. I won't be bidding because the price is getting high and I believe it going to be a bidding war.

AnnaJamila
September 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I want one of these SOOOO badly! I love butterflies! :)

julierockhead
September 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I've been lurking at this auction. I can't justify spending that much cash on a replica of the J. Peterman replica, but I do like looking at it. Obviously someone needs to make more of these combs!

Lianna
September 6th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Third thread I see this link. This is gonna get ugly (pricey), LOL. *I'm not bidding*

boudica
September 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Yes! Thank you so much!

And I just got PAID!

I've been searching for so long for this!

Thank you!

julierockhead
September 6th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Here is an interesting link to a wholesale supply of knockoff Titanic combs:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/481149072-Titanic-Rose-s-beautiful-butterfly-comb-free-shipping-wholesalers.html#tabbed-pane

I've never seen this site before, but payment is held in escrow.
The page says free shipping...but there is a shipping calculator.

Ang_1989
September 6th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Here is an interesting link to a wholesale supply of knockoff Titanic combs:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/481149072-Titanic-Rose-s-beautiful-butterfly-comb-free-shipping-wholesalers.html#tabbed-pane

I've never seen this site before, but payment is held in escrow.
The page says free shipping...but there is a shipping calculator. If anyone is willing to get into contact with this dude and find out what shipping to the U.S. is, if any, I might be willing to buy a batch and distribute, if there is enough interest.

I've seen this version of the comb before on the same website, but to me it looks too.. I don't know, plastic and shiny? It looks like it has varnish all over while the frame of the 'real' one and the other KO one are matte.

It's still pretty of course, but I like the other one better. :)

Lianna
September 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I've seen this version of the comb before on the same website, but to me it looks too.. I don't know, plastic and shiny? It looks like it has varnish all over while the frame of the 'real' one and the other KO one are matte.

The other one is pretty expensive though. Like 1000 or so?

http://www.vintagegriffin.com/index.php/shop/comments/j_peterman_titanic_butterfly_comb/

julierockhead
September 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM

Yeah, I thought so too, but that might be the photograph. I am tempted to purchase one, just to see it in person, and return if I don't love it. Anyone deal with this website before?

Lianna
September 6th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Does Litte Orca's action shot look too shiny to you? Didn't to me.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=860235&postcount=1

Looks nice in her hair.

physicschick
September 6th, 2011, 05:32 PM
If anyone is willing to get into contact with this dude and find out what shipping to the U.S. is, if any, I might be willing to buy a batch and distribute, if there is enough interest.

Please note that group orders are not allowed per the swap rules (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=44938).

julierockhead
September 6th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Oops, sorry physicschick! *hangs head for forgetting rules like a noob*

physicschick
September 6th, 2011, 07:16 PM
No worries! :)

julliams
September 6th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Ok so here is what I'm finding wierd. The J Peterman one has those brown tines on the comb but the ebay one has thick black ones. I thought that the J Peterman one was a copy of the one in the movie but if you look at the movie stills on the ebay auction - it shows what looks like thick black tines on the comb. So..... which one is more authentic??? I'm confused but I'm thinking the cheaper one looks more authentic to me. Anyone else agree? Disagree?

ETA: no wait - I'm missing the number of tines. The one in the movie has 9 as does the J Peterman one, and the copy has 7. So forget what I said.

julierockhead
September 6th, 2011, 08:31 PM
All I know is that I am never going to be able to afford the J. Peterman so I am going to find the best replica I can...with a little help from my LHC.

julliams
September 6th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Absolutely - agreed

sweet*things
September 7th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Those "shiny" ones look identical to the non-J.Peterman ones. The shininess is probably the lighting or processing on the photos. The metal irl isn't matte, but it isn't a high, shiny polish either.

julliams
September 7th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Ok thanks (LOVE your avatar....still....)

MeganE
September 7th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Isn't that a dragonfly?

julliams
September 7th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I just got mine in the mail this morning (yey!!) and whilst I'll take pics later (hair up in SMT at the mo) I should point out a few things.

1. It doesn't look like a cheapo hair accessory - it looks beautiful
2. The furthermost part of the wings are a deep blue not black
3. The tines on the comb are not super cheap looking but they are thick (almost like mini hairsticks) and they are not black - they are deep brown.
4. I may need to sand down the tines a little but there is nothing there that scares or worried me about putting it in my hair
5. It's weighty but not ridiculous. Just the right weight to not feel cheapo but hopefully stay in the hair (to be proven later).
6. The silver has an aged look to me - not that bright and shiney look that I saw in the other photo with the one with the antennae going upwards.

I'm super happy with it. It's gorgeous to behold and I'm really glad I bought it. And whilst $45 ($50 with postage) is pricey for a hairpiece, it's something that I will treasure and I'll wear it on special occasions. I would have a hard time finding anything like this in any store period, and if I did, it would certainly be at this price if not more.

ETA: Oh, and as for is it a dragonfly? I had to look at it again to find out. It's definitely a butterfly because it has the leaf shaped wings at the top and triangular ones at the bottom. It's just the way it's put together that makes the top wings and body stand out so it looks more dragonfly-like. But definitely a butterfly in my opinion. Like this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iK-nJ2FsTlw/SyBiQrgAjPI/AAAAAAAAAsA/5xsPKA3fXGc/s400/dragonfly%20ornament.jpg

julliams
September 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I've posted this pic in the other thread but just in case people are following only one, here it is. Hair is still about 50% wet but I couldn't wait and comb is holding the updo nicely. Not sure it would last all day but hey, it's in there. Here you can see the blue in the wings which always looks black to me in all the pictures I've ever seen.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6185/6125902324_7b2ff7a744_z.jpg

julierockhead
September 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM
WOW that is seriously gorgeous, it looks great in your hair too I MUST HAVE ONE.:pray:

julliams
September 7th, 2011, 08:26 PM
You should see how cool it is from the front - you can see through it. I really love it. I have ended up sticking some hair screws in to keep the updo but it's slowly falling out. Not the main bit of it, but the ends that I really didn't tuck under properly since I was kind of rushing. But yes - you must have one. Just stick with a budget and it will come to you eventually. There is a bit of a hype now. Perhaps that will die down a little and prices will go back to normal.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6125488791_d9a35d9a07_z.jpg

julierockhead
September 7th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Oh yes, I have a pricepoint I won't go over for this, and I don't plan on buying any hairtoys at all for a while...unless this beauty crops up for cheaps somewhere.

ETA: tyring to buy hairtoys on the swap board, just discovered Quattro lol.

Ang_1989
September 9th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I've received mine! As my sister is a hairdresser I'll ask her to curl and partially put up my hair, so I can take pictures for all of you! For now I can only say..

IT'S AMAZING! :D

julliams
September 9th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Is yours the J Peterman one or the same as mine?

Ang_1989
September 9th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Is yours the J Peterman one or the same as mine?

Of course it's not the J. Peterman version, I'm only a student lol. I don't have about $1100,00 hidden somewhere to spend on a hair comb. :lol:

Wish I had though.. But the one I have now is just as pretty! I truly love it and will only wear it on special occasions.

Ang_1989
September 9th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Four days left on the eBay comb and it's on $56,00 now.

julliams
September 9th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Of course it's not the J. Peterman version, I'm only a student lol. I don't have about $1100,00 hidden somewhere to spend on a hair comb. :lol:

Wish I had though.. But the one I have now is just as pretty! I truly love it and will only wear it on special occasions.

LOL - One can only hope. I can't wait to see your pictures. It's a really special piece isn't it.

Ang_1989
September 13th, 2011, 06:09 AM
LOL - One can only hope. I can't wait to see your pictures. It's a really special piece isn't it.

I still need to have my sister curl and put up my hair and take pictures. But there aren't enough hours in a day!

Will take pictures though. Soon!

julierockhead
September 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I'm totally waiting for pics Ang!

julierockhead
September 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM
We're coming up on 13 hours left
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290606529714?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_4321wt_1141
I would so bid on this but for the shipping! Why is this in Australia? Why? Why?

ETA: ETA: It finally went to $270.36, and that's without shipping - julliams you should ebay yours when you tire of it, and make a killing!