PDA

View Full Version : The Knot-Bunned Fine Hair or A Tale Of Stupidity.

clarinette
September 6th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Alright, I'm pretty sure you all already know where I am going with this. Yesterday I was browsing the forums in search of a new updo to try, and decided the knot bun looked easy enough. I did a half up one. Then, I decided to take a shower. Yes, I untied the knot before I started my shower, but unbeknownst to me a small part of my hair was still tied up....After washing, as I was fingercombing, I found it: a knot the size of my thumb, hard as wood. No amount of oil or conditioner changed anything to the situation, I ended up having to cut it off....
Thankfully, it is barely noticeable, but a word of warning to you all: knot buns can be very dangerous for you baby fine haired people!!
Oh, you knew that already? yes, I guess I'm just dumb.....

sun-kissed
September 6th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Ouchies, I'm glad it's not too noticeable!! Thanks for the warning, I'm going to be extra careful if I decide to try the knot bun. :p

embee
September 6th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Nasty! *Another* good reason for a thorough brushing before washing.... my original reason was to minimize long hairs going into the tub drain!

Glad your little chop doesn't show much.

Dragon
September 6th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the warning. I have never tried the knot bun as I'm to scared to encase I can't get it undone. I'm glad it's not too noticeable.

spidermom
September 6th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I'm with embee; a thorough combing/brushing before washing prevents a variety of long-hair ills.

Kaelee
September 6th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Does combing work as well as brushing to remove shed/loose hairs? I have soooo many come out in the shower, and I hate it! I think my drain strainer catches them very well but I still don't like it. I do comb my hair beforehand but I haven't brushed it in years. (except a few times when I found myself away from home and comb-less!)

Cowgirl16
September 6th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I have coarse hair and I'm afraid of the knot bun :eyebrows: that and the sock bun really tend to tangle my hair.

embee
September 6th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Does combing work as well as brushing to remove shed/loose hairs? I have soooo many come out in the shower, and I hate it! I think my drain strainer catches them very well but I still don't like it. I do comb my hair beforehand but I haven't brushed it in years. (except a few times when I found myself away from home and comb-less!)

I don't know. I don't think so, though. I find combing will get off pieces that might break, but doesn't get the ones that are about to shed. Brushing does that for me. (plus it feels so good, I do not intend to stop, even though some on LHC disapprove of brushing) And I don't shed a whole lot, I don't think. But it was enough to make me unhappy about the tub drain - I really do NOT want to try to fish out a tub-drain-rat. Uggggghh. :(

Lollipop
September 7th, 2011, 04:11 AM
When I was younger I had finer hair. I was also a tomboy. One summer, after I was sick of my (straight-haired) mom ripping a brush through my (curly) hair, I started to do my own hair. It was fine during the school year, but once summer hit I stopped caring. I really only quickly brushed the canopy before going to play. Well, towards the end of summer,my mom discovered a HUGE, solid knot the size of a child's fist :o. It was actually a solid, golf ball sized knot that fused into a slightly larger one. My mom was going to cut it out. I balked at this, since it was at the nape of my neck. So for the next week or so, I spent about an hour every day working at this mess with only water, my fingers, and a comb (which only helped at the end):cool:. I am still shocked that I managed to fix it, and that the hair turned out completely normal.

jasper
September 7th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I have to watch out for any kind of half up creating a knot or knots. Half up with a clip or slide that needs no twisting is safe enough, but there is something about a hairdo where some hair is doing one thing and the rest is doing something else that makes a potential snarl.