PDA

View Full Version : European product recommendation - Paris and Zurich

julliams
September 6th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I don't think I want to bother bringing shampoo and conditioner with me in my luggare. I was thinking I might buy something over there. Thing is, I'll be buying for my whole family so it needs to be something that's not totally specific. My husband and son won't care what they use but my 12 year old daughter and I will.

We are spending three days in Paris and whilst I can stretch a wash for that long, I know my daughter cannot. We are staying in an apartment so there won't be any complimentaries there.

Any recommended products that can be found fairly commonly?

I have thick wurly hair that craves moisture. My daughter has typical teen hair - oily roots but this seems to be getting a little better.

I'd rather only buy one set of products. Thanks (thinking maybe I should just bring from home...)

ETA: Sorry - I guess I've just put this in the wrong section. Mods please feel free to move it.

MinderMutsig
September 6th, 2011, 02:32 AM
You need a conditioner and a shampoo? What brand are you using back home, maybe it's available here too.

julliams
September 6th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Yes, sorry a conditioner and a shampoo. I'm liking Tresseme Naturals at the moment but the bottle is so big (I guess I can transfer to a slimmer bottle). Actually I kind of use a bunch of different things. Some can only be bought here in Australia and others are available internationally.

But the Tresseme Naturals conditioner is working great for me at the mo.

pepperminttea
September 6th, 2011, 02:35 AM
If the Tresemme Naturals bottles are too big, it might be worth investing in some empty travel size ones to decant them into?

Incidentally, I don't know about mainland Europe but TN is definitely available in the UK. :)

lilalong
September 6th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Do you want cones or no cones? SLS or no SLS?

Aveyronnaise
September 6th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Do you use SLSes ? I use the triple nutrition garnier for conditioner here. The thing is here we have either commercial range stuff in the grocery and some freaking expensive stuff in the pharmacies. I've never used pharmacy stuff lots of it is like 25 euro a pop ... For SLS free shampoo I use Melvita brand family shampoo it's awesome and totally Sulfate free . There aren't many choices in the SLS free world here - I'm in France.

Oh you can find Melvita at "bio stores" or health food stores in the anglophone world.

julliams
September 6th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Don't really care too much about the cone/no or sls/no. It's just for a couple of weeks so I'm happy to put up with something people recommend. Sorry guys, I haven't been very specific have I...

Audrey Horne
September 6th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I second investing in travel size bottles, etc. But if you want to look for something then I'd take a look at bio shops. I don't know if they have Logona in France but I quite like their shampoos. I don't feel bad about spending 7-8 € for SLS-free shampoo that I don't have to use often anyway. I'm sure some French people will come and help you out here :)

MinderMutsig
September 6th, 2011, 03:14 AM
We don't have Tresemme here (The Netherlands) but I'm not sure about other European countries. I guess I'd go with something you are more or less familiar with like Garnier Fructiss or something. I can't think of anything spectacular that is only available in Europe and I doubt you want to spend too much time in drugstores looking at ingredients. (Or maybe that's just me...)

Kyaatje
September 6th, 2011, 06:01 AM
if you don't mind using sls there are a couple of Lush stores in Paris and shampoo bars are so easy to take with you while travelling. :)

Marjolein
September 6th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I know a lot of the Dutch/Belgian hairforum members like the Garnier Ultra Doux products. I believe this brand can be found a lot of the French supermarkets.

AceOfCurls
September 6th, 2011, 02:05 PM
In Paris there is a huge, beyond huge Sephora. If you like products like Phyto Phytodefrisant (which is originally french anyways), Quidad, and Ojon then you won't have a problem. Paris is definitely the place to pick up hair care and great facial care as well. Have fun on your trip.

julliams
September 6th, 2011, 06:59 PM
OOOOhhh I've been wanting to try Ouidad products for ages. That would be super cool (but expensive I dare say).

RitaPG
September 6th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I know a lot of the Dutch/Belgian hairforum members like the Garnier Ultra Doux products. I believe this brand can be found a lot of the French supermarkets.
I'm a fan of this line of products too, in Portugal it's called Ultra Suave, but the product is the same, they have a gazillion different "flavors".
My favourite is the one made from cocoa butter and coconut oil (http://a4.idata.over-blog.com/270x300/3/73/02/96/DSCN3066.JPG), it's very moisturizing without being too rich (my sister has used the shampoo, she has greasy hair and this one didn't made it worse - it does make her hair really shiny, though).
But if your hair really craves moisture, I'd advise you to try the Shea butter and Avocado oil conditioner (http://www.beaute-test.com/prod/img38748.jpg), I used it when my hair was very dry and damaged, and it was wonderful, I even used it as a leave-in. A curly haired friend of mine advised me to try it, and I still have it ^^'

Hope you have fun in Paris :flower:

ETA:
Also, these products aren't too expensive either :D

Chetanlaiho
September 7th, 2011, 06:56 AM

I'm Dutch but I've never seen any of those for sale here =( I searched for them in Germany but didn't see them there either.

Not sure if these products are sold in France as well but personally I love Inecto coconut moisture conditione and Garnier Triple Nutrition :)

AceOfCurls
September 7th, 2011, 11:41 AM
All of Garniers products are definitely sold in Germany. 0.o So that is really strange you didn't find them.

Marjolein
September 7th, 2011, 03:18 PM
@ Chetanlaiho: You're right, Garnier Ultra Doux isn't available in the Netherlands. It is, however, in Belgium and France. The same line is also available in Germany but the name is a bit different. I forgot what it's called - Ultra something :).

Tabitha
September 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I like Klorane Mango Shampoo and conditioner (for dry hair). It's French (though also available here in the UK), and I've also bought it in Switzerland.

Ingredients are listed here http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-58672.html

Chetanlaiho
September 7th, 2011, 04:34 PM
All of Garniers products are definitely sold in Germany. 0.o So that is really strange you didn't find them.
I did see Garnier (actually I saw a leave-in, serum and mask accompanying my favourite conditioner that we didn't have in the Netherlands but they all had cones D=) but I just didn't see any Ultra Doux.

@ Chetanlaiho: You're right, Garnier Ultra Doux isn't available in the Netherlands. It is, however, in Belgium and France. The same line is also available in Germany but the name is a bit different. I forgot what it's called - Ultra something :).
Well that sucks xD We have so few cone-free conditioners over here >_< I looked for it in Germany (yes I really looked for it, several times in different stores xD) but didn't see any cone-free conditioners other than Triple Nutrition (which was called Oil Repair there I think)

slz
September 7th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I'd second the garnier ultra-doux line : easy to find everywhere, cheap, good value.
someone suggested Klorane, it's supposed to be higher range (thus a bit more expensive, not as easily found - mainly in pharmacies) but i do not know if the quality is really better than the garnier basic stuff. Oh and as of garnier, you'll find the fructis line just as easily - triple nutrition, etc.