PDA

View Full Version : Washing your hair - a chore or a treat?

dRummie
September 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Just wondering if anybody else feels this way, that hair washing is not just a chore, but a time to relax and spend a few minutes playing with something pretty :P

I never used to particularly enjoy it, until I joined LHC and started paying attention to my hair. Now I get little moments of "aww, I wish my hair needed washing today!"

Maybe it'll become less fun as the novelty wears off, but I hope not :o

So, anybody with me? I'm sure there must be. Then again, this is coming from the kid who used to play "hair dresser" by shampooing her arm hair during bath time :p

Yame
September 5th, 2011, 09:20 PM
If I have to wash my hair on a weekday morning, before work, I find it to be a chore, because I have to wake up earlier in order to have time to do everything and not be late. I also don't like going to work with my hair wet.

If I have to wash my hair on a weekend, it's a treat... because I get to sleep in and still wash my hair, I have all the time in the world to shower without having to worry about being late for anything.

Since I've been able to stretch my washes to just once a week, I usually get to wash my hair only on Saturdays (with some exceptions), which means that washing my hair has usually been a treat :cheese:

xoerincolleen
September 5th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I'm with you! :) I love washing my hair. I don't stretch my washes very much (every 3rd day at most) but I get a tiny bit sad when I make myself shower with my shower cap on.

Mairéad
September 5th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I usually love washing my hair but now that I'm back at college and I'm running all over the place constantly doing something it has often time become a, "How the heck am I going to fit this into my schedule?" thing.

Hotrox
September 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I enjoy it, I love the feeling of giving my scalp a good scrub and how silky soft my hair feels with the conditioner on, and choosing which combination of poos and dishes to use of that particular morning :-)

But the drying, bhah, that I could really do without!

UltraBella
September 5th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Total chore. I don't enjoy it, the detangling or the drying time.

TheCatSaidQuack
September 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM
It depends on the time of day - in the morning, its a chore. At night, it's part of a ritual, which is calming. I don't like to do it in the morning because I have to wake up early, my hair is still wet when I go to work, but at the end of the day, my curls look nice. When I wash at night, my curls end up frizzy after sleeping on them all night. So it's a task I inflict upon myself, I guess.

luxepiggy
September 5th, 2011, 09:55 PM
While I love the way my hair looks when freshly washed, I must admit I find the actual process of washing a total, total chore (>(oo)<)`

CurlyCap
September 5th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I love wash time. Like CatSaidQuack, I think of it as part of my winding down since I always co-wash before bed. I love the feeling of water on my scalp, and my hair takes on a different "wet" curl pattern that I like to stare at.

However, I HATE washing my hair in the morning. It makes everything so rushed, and I feel like my hair isn't clean and it looks like crap from the rushing. Total loss.

Foxy_Booker
September 5th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I love washing my hair and putting in a good conditioner. It feels so great afterwards to have fresh clean hair and get all the oils out of it.

mallorykay13
September 5th, 2011, 10:24 PM
a treat! I love first day hair

sun-kissed
September 5th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I don't really pay attention to how much I enjoy, or not enjoy, washing my hair. For me, it's just something that needs to be done, so I just do it. I neither look forward to it, nor do I dread it..

I do, however, hate first-day hair. I can't stand the frizzies or the dryness if I don't wash it just right. But that's coming from someone who wishes she never had to wash her hair again because it would be so good for it. :P

ScarlettAdelle
September 5th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I don't enjoy it at the moment. I'm only one quarter of the way to my goal, and my damage makes brushing my hair out difficult. I've been enjoying it more and more lately as it's less and less gummy each time I get out of the shower. I just have to remember my superfine hair can't handle color and resist the urge to color the bottom black.

Othala
September 5th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I like the result but I don't enjoy the process.

krissykins
September 5th, 2011, 10:59 PM
While I love the way my hair looks when freshly washed, I must admit I find the actual process of washing a total, total chore (>(oo)<)`

This exactly. I wish hair could just wash itself :p

pepperminttea
September 5th, 2011, 11:19 PM
A bit of both. If I have the time, it can be very relaxing; I really enjoy water. If I'm in a hurry, it's a complete chore, so I normally put it off until I can do it my way. :)

darklion
September 6th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I enjoy washing my hair. I love the way it looks freshly washed and I love the smell.
Day 1 is my best hair day.

Impulsive
September 6th, 2011, 01:31 AM
A bit of both. I do not enjoy detangling my hair and I don't like dripping everywhere while I wait for my hair to dry. I do really enjoy being able to run a comb through my hair and the massage that is the wash. I like styling my hair, and that's easier to do on hair that's just been washed. Most of all, I like the way my hair feels after it's been washed and dried... Perhaps overall it is a treat.

HintOfMint
September 6th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I love washing my hair. When I'm in a rush, I'm glad not to do it, but somehow, when I'm in the shower on a no-wash day I can't help but wish that I could just dunk all my hair under the running water. It's more of the hot water on my scalp feeling that I love.

P.S. I just washed my hair and it is now freshly combed and sitting in a pinned bun on top of my head. My night cream is on my face, I'm in my PJs and I feel utterly relaxed. The whole process is nice for me, even the drying part.

Neneka
September 6th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Conditioning my hair is the only thing I can do with it. I really enjoy washing it (CO) and I haven't managed to stretch washes because I just enjoy it too much.

bratz81
September 6th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I wouldn't say I love washing my hair but I don't mind it - and I do love that clean feeling. I've managed to stretch my washes to every other day so far (my roots are greasy) and at first this was a total challenge and my hair felt (and looked!) dirty the second day but now we're getting there.

That said, my hair is only just below shoulder length right now - when it's longer it might be more of a chore!

co.co
September 6th, 2011, 02:12 AM
I love it when my hair feels nice afterwards - it can be frustrating if I spend a lot of time washing/conditioning and letting it hair dry and then it's still tangled/gross. But I usually love it, because I love having clean hair!

Chetanlaiho
September 6th, 2011, 03:25 AM
I do it once a week and it's definitely a chore for me >_< mostly because the whole process with before and after care just takes, forever xD and I lose |a lot| of hair when washing lately =(

Rosetta
September 6th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Mostly a treat, especially if I have some new product to try :p
And I absolutely love how freshly washed hair looks and feels, my hair is at its best then. (The drying-time is the only thing I'm not that fond of...)

caiti42
September 6th, 2011, 03:37 AM
I love it. Its my "me" time.

tigereye
September 6th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I love washing my hair. I only wash my hair once a week, but sometimes I wish it were wash day half-way through the week. I give my hair a DT each week on wash day, and, with the exception of oils, which are a pain to get out may hair, all the other DTs leave my hair feeling so nice once it's dried. I also like how after washing, my hair always smells of my conditioner.

Ithonna
September 6th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Chore. I can actually go about two weeks between washes. But my flakes would be horrible. It seems like as soon at my hair starts doing what I want it to do, it is time to wash!

Raiscake
September 6th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Depends on my mood. I typically wash my hair at night, so if I'm exhausted it tends to be a chore. If i"m feeling girly, it's a treat.

indiana
September 6th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Daily washer here - it's a CHORE. I wish I were able to stretch out my washes a few days but I can't. My hair, even when bunned, will show it if not washed. Can't go to work looking greasy and unkempt.

NOT washing is a luxury for me. Sometimes on the weekends, I'll skip the wash and just have an updo for the day. Now THAT is a treat!

Carolyn
September 6th, 2011, 04:22 AM
I enjoy it most of the time. I hate dirty, sebumy hair and I want to be rid of that feel and the only day I really like my hair is on the day I wash it so that's a huge incentive to washing. I like the actual process. I like getting it wet and applying the products and the rinsing. I also really enjoy the air drying time as I love the heavy, wet feeling of my hair on my arms and back.

Madora
September 6th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Well, if it was a lot shorter (and not as thick), it wouldn't be such a chore. As it is, it is a major time eater and something I dread when the weather gets colder. A portable bathroom heater helps..but still, shampooing and conditioning aren't much fun.

YepLilly
September 6th, 2011, 08:34 AM
It depends. If I'm running like crazy and I only have 5 minutes to get ready, and my hair needs to be washed and dried in time, it's definitely a shore!

Other than that, it's a treat. Especially now after LHC :). It's not only relaxing, but also interesting, thinking about how the different ingredients and techniques will work.

Lianna
September 6th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Both. If my head didn't feel hot I wouldn't wash it as much (everyday/hot weather). Washing my hair cures my daily stress and headaches (I don't even take meds for headaches unless it's really bad).

MandyBeth
September 6th, 2011, 08:40 AM
My hair is only SL now, but I do have to wash daily since I have to use Monistat daily (for the anti-fungal, fun of my vile medications that keep me alive), so it's kind of a chore. But I like how my hair feels and I like the help from Monistat more than I dislike washing my hair.

Curly Hermione
September 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM
If I have time to massage my scalp, detangle with my comb, run my fingers through the silky conditionery goodness and swish my head around so I can enjoy the length it has when it's wet (and sing my favourite shower playlist!), it's a treat.
If i don't have much time, it's early in the morning and i'm kneeling on the bathroom floor for a basic rinse with water and then hastily slap on the conditioner (don't have time for proper co wash/low poo or proper detangling), it's a chore.

spidermom
September 6th, 2011, 08:56 AM
A chore that I willingly do because I love fresh, clean hair.
I don't enjoy having wet hair hanging all over me while it dries, though.
I can't wet bun; I fear it would NEVER dry.

MandyBeth
September 6th, 2011, 08:57 AM
You could roll it in sponge rollers and slather it in Dippity Doo. You said it dried in 2 days...

TEE HEE!!!! :D

Pixna
September 6th, 2011, 08:59 AM
While I love having clean hair, I do not enjoy the process. Detangling in the shower and afterward takes a lot of time, and I have a lot of shed hairs to deal with. I'd wash my hair once a month, if I could get away with it. :smirk: As it is, I wash only every six days, which is still more often than I'd like.

Rhodugune
September 6th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Most of the time I have time to make it a treat. :)
Since I started CO-ing, I only need to wash my hair once a week.
So I usally make an evening of it, taking my time to relax in the bath reading, while I wash my hair.
I light some candles, have some soft music on in the background.

Here is my bathroom, I love my bathtub. :D
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_37/32010000-32019999/640x480/32015434.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32015434)

Ermine
September 6th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I'm neutral about it. I guess it's a chore, but I don't mind having to wash my hair every day (trust me, I actually need to) but at the same time I like working the conditioner into my hair.

Milui Elenath
September 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I try to make it a treat - sit in the sun to dry it, tell myself that's it my relax time, but I it is a chore. I really hate wet hair, it's much worse in the winter. I am very thankful that it is only a weekly task . . . at last a positive about really dry hair. :)

QMacrocarpa
September 6th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Chore. I don't mind the (weekly) washing itself all that much, but I don't like the lengthy drying afterward. If I put my hair up wet, when I take it down it will be almost as wet as when I put it up, grr. The drying process has gotten a little more pleasant since I got an around-the-head hair-band which I can wear while it dries to at least keep it out of my face.

Merewen
September 6th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Both at once, strangely. Now that I wash less often, it's something I have to fit into the day, and I occasionally procrastinate on it. Also the drying time isn't that great.

But I get to see how long my hair is wet, and I do enjoy warm water. Also I have nice clean fresh hair again.

celebriangel
September 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I...hmm. It depends on the day, and my mood. I enjoy the hot water of the shower, and I like giving my scalp a massage, and the clean feeling of my scalp. However, if I'm tired, I normally can't be bothered. But that's okay, because I only wash once a week anyway, and waiting an extra day really doesn't hurt.

I don't really like my hair on day 1. It feels a bit fluffy and "stripped", even though I CO. It's also annoying because I must dry it correctly - if I go to bed with braided damp hair, it's not nice in the morning. Damp bunning, letting it down periodically to allow it to dry faster, is the way to go for nice hair for me.

archel
September 6th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I looooooooooooove washing my hair, especially these days because I'm always doing it after a heavy castor oiling to my scalp and length. It's like "AAAAAAAHHHH SO CLEAN." And my Giovanni shamp/condish smells lovely, too.

It's not really a chore to let it air dry, either. I work from home so I just put on my headphones and forget about touching it until it's time for lunch!

CastaDiva
September 6th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Washing my hair is definitely a treat! I like it so much that I wish I could do it every day:) I start the night before with a heavy evooiling and continue the next day with the rest of my hair washing routine.

Anje
September 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Usually a chore. When I wash my hair, it's usually because the idea of having fresh hair outweighs the inconvenience of having wet hair. It's not that inconvenient, so I wash it if it starts misbehaving as well as when the scalp gets greasy. Still, is it any wonder that I like having my washes stretched out?

swearnsue
September 6th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I'm surprised at how many members think it is a chore to wash their beautiful hair! My hair is very short so it is easy to wash and dry. But I love to wash it, smell the shampoo and conditioner, and then let it air dry which only takes about 20 minutes in the dry desert. I love to see the red henna color that comes out after washing so I take a hand mirror outside to look at my hair in the sun. It's also a treat just taking a shower because water is precious here, we have to haul in our water by truck so we are always having to conserve.

teal
September 6th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I...hmm. It depends on the day, and my mood. I enjoy the hot water of the shower, and I like giving my scalp a massage, and the clean feeling of my scalp. However, if I'm tired, I normally can't be bothered. But that's okay, because I only wash once a week anyway, and waiting an extra day really doesn't hurt.

This. I do like to wash my hair, but if I want to take my time about it I have to do it late at night or very early in the morning, and I typically prefer to sleep during that time. :p

nobeltonya
September 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
A treat, because I love how it feels to shampoo/massage my scalp, I love <3 the smell of my shampoo, I love being able to run my fingers through it after combing/detangling. I don't like having to condition it, though.. as much. And, having to figure out what to do with it so it dries smoothly is also slightly frustrating.. every day. And, having to get up an hour earlier.. But overall, I love how it looks and feels when I wash it every day also, so I deal with the few things I don't like and cherish the things I do.

Susana
September 6th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Same!! I was shocked so many people love it! I have to wash it when is oily, and detangle, and then is wet on my back and then my clothes are wet.....I like my hair dry. Its nice in the moment and just.the.moment. The second I am out of the water its a chore.

newbeginning
September 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Neither. It's just something that has to be done (like eating, drinking, etc.).

wooliswonderful
September 6th, 2011, 03:25 PM
It's a treat.
With 6 children I don't get much time to myself. :)

Lianna
September 6th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Air-drying isn't a chore, but avoiding damp hair in certain places where isn't regarded as professional is. Specially for someone like me who washes everyday.

Little_Bird
September 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I guess it depends on my mood, but lately it's been a chore mostly... I don't know why. I don't feel I like my hair less because of it, but I have a lot of steps. Maybe because I'm on vacation still?

Anyways, I'm gonna be back on working skedual in no time so by then I guess I will apreciate "me time" better :)

ZeppHead
September 6th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I HATE wash day! I hate actually washing my hair because it gets kinda dry and tangley in the shower and I cringe when I cant get my fingers through it but after conditioner it feels nice. I love the way my hair and scalp feel after it dries though.

Cainwen
September 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Washing my hair is a treat for me. I like multistep processes that lead to good outcomes consistently (probably why I like cooking, sewing and physics :p). The feel of warm water on my scalp is wonderful, and then I have awesome curls while it dries.

Cowgirl16
September 6th, 2011, 05:43 PM

This is exactly how I feel. I like how my clean hair smells and feels; but UGH its a chore:p

MychelleC
September 6th, 2011, 05:56 PM
My wash routine can be a challenge because it is a bit time-consuming. I have very thick, almost waist-length hair and it does take a bit of time to wash and dry, and with a 9 month old I don't have as much time as I used to. But I make all of my own hair care products, so it is also a time to indulge myself in the fruits of my hard work and enjoy the lovely results. So all-in-all I would say wash day is way more of a treat than a chore - though my hair looks best the next day!

Teazel
September 6th, 2011, 06:53 PM
A total chore - and I can't blame the time it takes, because I use the laziest method possible and washing my hair usually takes about 5 minutes.

Shelly
September 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM
For me, washing my hair could never be a chore. I love my hair and I love every aspect of keeping it beautiful and healthy.

Megz
September 6th, 2011, 07:39 PM
A treat kinda. I'm still very much used to daily washing, but I'm trying to stretch it out a little more. I'm also trying not to straighten my hair often, so it can get a bit blah during our arid summers and when it's curly (getting a much-needed trim next month), and it seems harder to stretch as a result. I can't stand how my hair feels at the moment by day two, so I try just wetting it in the shower a little, which also helps me to detangle. I'm sure I'll enjoy it more after I figure out my routine and what works best.

bluesnowflake
September 6th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I like it because I leave my conditioner in and sit in the bath sometimes :) the detangling afterwards is a bit of a chore, though- even though I comb in the shower it seems to tangle after I squeeze the water out.

C.H.
September 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Chore for sure. I enjoy the pre-wash deep conditioning and actual cleansing parts--it's everything that comes after it that is such a pain--the long tedious detangling, followed by involved curl definining or straightening process, followed by endless drying time during which I am doing everything possible to mitigate frizz. It ultimately swallows up most of the day and is physically tiring.

slo2gro
September 6th, 2011, 08:40 PM

OMG thats so me lol Thank god im not alone haha

McFearless
September 6th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Chore for sure. I enjoy the pre-wash deep conditioning and actual cleansing parts--it's everything that comes after it that is such a pain--the long tedious detangling, followed by involved curl definining or straightening process, followed by endless drying time during which I am doing everything possible to mitigate frizz. It ultimately swallows up most of the day and is physically tiring.

I'm right there with you. I like having clean hair but detangling and losing so much hair is never fun. I wish I had straight hair for that reason.

jaine
September 6th, 2011, 09:01 PM
This thread amuses me ... remember all those other LHC threads where so many of us claim "short hair is more work"? :)

Short hair was so easy for me ...I miss getting in the car with wet gelled hair, and then having completely dry, shiny, smoother-than-a-blowout hair by the time I sit down at my desk at work.

My hair is only shoulder length and it's already a chore...will probably become more of a chore as it gets longer, but it's worth it...I guess...

clairenewcastle
September 6th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Washing my hair has never been a chore and I can't imagine that it ever could be. I absolutely love the whole experience of caring for my hair.

Becky Safari
September 6th, 2011, 11:23 PM
It's a chore. But it's a treat if I'm experimenting with new washing or treatment methods!

Dars
September 7th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Usually it's a treat for me. Because I only wash it twice a week max my level of curly hair can only stay that way for the day I wash it. So I enjoy seeing my curls out :)

Lianna
September 7th, 2011, 08:03 PM
This thread amuses me ... remember all those other LHC threads where so many of us claim "short hair is more work"? :)

Great point. And some long hairs wash their hair often (I mean any kind of wash), so there's some work to put there! I'll definally be one of these.

It's really just more work for those who wish to blow dry and use some kind of hot tool. And there's long hairs that do that too (not many here but in the "real" world, yes). The work could be the same long or short for some people.

MissEarlGrey
September 7th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Huge chore! I dread wash days, it means loads of extra detangling time.

viking_quest
September 7th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I found it to be such a chore that I cut off my hair. :P

WinterButterfly
September 7th, 2011, 10:35 PM
It is a huge chore for me. I only wash when I have to. The drying process is so drawn out. And I don't like the water from my hair getting on my clothes. It takes forever to wash and rinse and condition and rinse when I am in the shower. It seems like the shampoos don't want to leave. But I do like to comb it out when it is dry. I spend a lot of time each day combing my hair. It tangles a bit sometimes. But I don't mind combing it carefully. I would rather spend twice as much time combing and not have to wash it.

kidari
September 8th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I absolutely love washing my hair and I'm so happy that the most I can stretch my wash is to wash every other day- I consider myself lucky that I have to wash daily because I love to do it that much. I really enjoy doing treatments and masks and self-trims and coloring it as well.

piratejenny
September 8th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Clearly a chore. In fact I've always hated it so much that I finally decided to try and go WO which will eventually - I hope - lead to gorgeous hair with minimal manipulation :D.

But then I joined THLC and I have to say that I have never ever had as much fun with my hair. Ever. All the "crazy" things people experiment with made me just want to join in and start playing around. The hardest I find is to be patient enough to see what works and what doesn't before jumping into the next experiment with all kinds of mashed up kitchen stuff :stirpot:.

battles
September 11th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Such a chore. I hate washing my hair, and letting it air dry drives me insane. I can't stand wet hair on me. :mad: This is probably why I cut it off at shoulder and why I'm currently considering going back to chin..

Mirsha
September 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Total chore. Do not enjoy all the things that come with wet hair. This is the reason I wash at night or when I have other things available to distract me.

Hypnotica
September 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Treat.

My hair loves water. It takes about 5 min in total to wash my hair.

After washing, I throw it up in a turban and let it dry for about 20 min. Then I'll take it down, detangle which take about 30 sec, oil it and bun it for the night.

I always shower just before going to bed.

ladonna
September 11th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I enjoy and look forward to wash day. It also gives my time to relax before putting my kids to bed.

BlazingHeart
September 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM
While I love the feeling of dry, freshly washed hair, the process of getting there is a total chore. It makes me miss short hair and SLS shampoo (the latter of which I can't use anymore because my scalp won't tolerate it). It has become even more of a chore since I switched to 'poo bars - I love the results, but the process, ugh!

I have painful joints, and that includes my hands, shoulders, and neck. I also have super-thick hair, so it weighs a ton when it's wet and takes forever to dry. I think I'm averaging about 16 hours right now. Makes me miss the more arid climate I grew up in. I hate having this heavy, wet blanket of hair, which of course is hot as well as wet...yuck. I wash before bed, pat dry with a towel, go through a succession of 3 towel turbans to try to get moisture out of it, and then still need towels over my pillow to avoid completely soaking it and ruining it. As is I still get it wetter than I would prefer. Also, while it's damp, my hair sticks to everything and I can't deal with the tangles because it sticks to itself pretty badly.

~Blaze

Tealpuffin
September 11th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I love washing my hair, it is just all the drying and all that stuff which I hate! X

C.H.
September 11th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Treat.

My hair loves water. It takes about 5 min in total to wash my hair.

After washing, I throw it up in a turban and let it dry for about 20 min. Then I'll take it down, detangle which take about 30 sec, oil it and bun it for the night.

I always shower just before going to bed.

You've got that easy hair. ;)

Sunny_side_up
September 16th, 2011, 10:36 AM
In spring/summer i love washing my hair, its not very thick and dries quickly too :) I am back using a shampoo containing cones and loving it.
Thinking about winter, its not so enjoyable :D :eek: But i dont like to leave my hair longer than two days without washing, my scalp just wont have it:p I am planning on more layering (recently had my mum trim my ends adding some layers) as after summer i like to get rid of dry ends, also layering means i enjoy washing and handling my hair better in the colder months:)

Noreth
September 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Definitely a treat! I love doing things like deep treatments and having my permed hair dry into curls (like my new growth) before I have to comb it out :o. Plus its longer when its wet! :D

greentealeaf
September 16th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm a little torn. I love the actual washing part and how my hair feels when it's freshly washed but I can't stand having wet hair and also waiting for it to dry. I have to admit, sometimes I drag out the process because I know what's coming when I turn the shower head off!

NotInPortland
September 16th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Total chore. I hate washing it, hate having it wet, hate waiting for it to dry...I do love the freshly washed feeling though once it's dry. Lets just say my hair could have done with being washed about 2 days ago but seeing as I've been home doing nothing I haven't bothered because of the effort, even though my scalp is starting to flip out now so I'd better...I'll hop into the shower to wash it in a little while I swear! :p

longhairedlady
September 16th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Love it! I only do it once a week so it is a real treat for me when I do. I love conditioning it the best, the slippery wet feel of my hair is the best. I wished my hair always felt like that.

AcornMystic
September 16th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I actually wouldn't mind washing it more often because I like spending quality time with my hair, and it might make me sound crazy, but socializing with it also. XD If I had to wash it everyday then it would become a chore, only because it's taking time away from other things that require my attention, but maybe twice a week. My hair though responds better to once a week I have found (after much trial and error), especially using the baking soda method which my hair LOVES since my sebum is waxy but doesn't damage my hair while breaking up the wax. Washing my hair is a real treat, almost as nice as spending time with my husband, and that is really saying something. :D

EDIT: As it is, I sometimes can't stop touching it, stroking it, and running my fingers through it when it is better left alone.

neko_kawaii
September 16th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Not a chore but not something I get giddy about. I don't linger in the shower, having grown up hauling my water I am much too aware of it's value. (I really love the jet feature on our shower head, feels great on my scalp and gets everything rinsed quick.) I guess I have easy hair and it probably helps that I live in an arid environment. After being wrapped in a towel for a few minutes it is dry enough to braid. I don't like wet hair hanging down my back, so why would I put myself through that? I don't think my hair is antique lace, or even a cashmere sweater, its just pretty stuff that grows on my head and I'm not going to sacrifice my comfort for it. I like combing it, so I don't mind on the occasions when the tangles take a bit longer to work out.

I don't like the process or the time involved in DTs but I am curious enough about the results and benefits I continue to play with them.

I've had both short and long hair and I find that long hair is more comfortable for me for the following reasons: if I don't feel like doing anything with it, I can braid and forget about it and when I want to do something I have many more options (and pretty toys): the amount of extra time it takes to wash long hair is minimal for me and I don't have to wash it as often; but, it is the ability to get it completely off my neck when it is hot that is the main reason I vowed to grow it back out after the last time I chopped it short.

Cassie 123
September 16th, 2011, 07:16 PM
A treat to wash it once or twice a week in total privacy. A chore to wash it when the kids are fussing and underfoot (literally - the shower has no door and they walk/crawl right in and then complain about the water :rolleyes:).

celebriangel
September 16th, 2011, 07:59 PM
An addendum to my last post...I have just discovered that the wash routine my hair loves more than anything else in the world is....

CO wash with sainsbury's apple conditioner. ACV rinse. Wrap in a towel, let down and oil.

Yep. That easy. Washing now takes ~10 minutes. Letting it dry - I don't really understand why that would be a problem. I just let it down , do other stuff and then a while later it's dry. It really doesn't bother me much - I do the double-towel method so my hair is only damp when I let it down so it doesn't drip or anything.

So...yeah. Hassle free hair.

omgitssarah
September 16th, 2011, 10:10 PM
My hair has to be washed every day because I have dermatitis, so I need to use T/Gel or my scalp freaks out. If I shampoo it every day, though, my scalp is nice and happy and lovely. That part is a treat. Downside - having to condition. I hate the feeling of rinsing conditioner out of my hair. Something about the feeling of the smooth, wet hair against pruney fingers gives me goosebumps and I hate it, but my hair feels SO NICE when it's dry (which takes at least an hour even at pixie length, unless I blow dry on cool).

dfotw
September 17th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I love washing my hair. It's a treat. I wash it every day (with 'poo-bars twice a week and CO the rest of the time) and I love working up a lather, combing the conditioner and the tangles out, rinsing it out and feeling the 'real' length of my hair (as opposed to the 'real-life', curl-shrunk length). :cloud9:

I guess it helps that I shower just before going to bed, so my 'drying time' involves stuffing all my hair inside a sleep cap and going to sleep (in the morning it's just damp enough to bun easily). :D

Safira
September 17th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I usually love to wash my hair and plan all the treatments I want to use. I love my hair when it´s wet. But sometimes I have to horry, and I hate that. I want washing to be pleasure, time for myself and relax a little.

Garnetgem
March 31st, 2016, 07:11 PM
I actually love to wash my hair it always looks really glossy afterwards,its a nice treat and always feels nice freshly washed i admit its got harder since its grown but its so worth the effort we put in...

endersworld
March 31st, 2016, 07:23 PM
Washing my hair is actually very enjoyable for me. I love the feeling of lather between my fingers and scalp, and I especially love the feeling of my hair slipping between my fingers when it's coated in conditioner. It's not a ton of effort for my weekly washing, because I just shampoo first, then condition, and let my hair hang there coated in conditioner until I've finished everything else. Minimal effort, wonderful-feeling hair...washing my hair is an excellent thing.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 31st, 2016, 09:58 PM

It's exactly the same for me.

bjr
April 1st, 2016, 12:10 AM
I like washing my hair! I guess its not long enough yet that its a chore, and I only do it twice a week, so I always look forward to it. Sometimes I try to convince myself to wash it sooner than I need to just because I like it so much :)

spirals
April 1st, 2016, 01:56 AM
It's a chore because of the drying time and the fact that it will be tangled by the end of the day. I don't damp bun because it won't dry completely. It has to be down all day. Also, I like 1930s styles and my hair down and curly in it's natural state ain't that.

lapushka
April 1st, 2016, 04:56 AM
Something that just has to happen - thankfully only once a week. :)

Simsy
April 1st, 2016, 04:58 AM
Not a treat, but I have gotten the routine down to what I will willingly do without complaint.

That said, as soon as hair becomes a chore, I start eyeing scissors, so it's in my best interests to keep things easy.

JessieJames180
April 9th, 2016, 10:32 PM
I honestly can't stand to wash it. I have stretched my washing my hair with products to every 10 days. While around day 5 I do a good rinsing with water. I don't like the feeling of wet hair plus my hair goes super flat the day after I wash it!

Nadine <3
April 9th, 2016, 10:37 PM
It depends. Sometimes I love doing it but sometimes it's like pulling teeth. I like it more in the summer than I do the winter. When it's cold I hate showering. Period.

yahirwaO.o
April 10th, 2016, 02:33 AM
I love it! I do it every day, it's so relaxing for me and super great for sleep time even both my body showers and hair washes are rinsed with cold water!

Mimha
April 10th, 2016, 06:38 AM
I think that discovering the pleasure of washing is THE big thing I have gained by joining the LHC ! :) :)

In my pre-LHC life, washing my hair was more a hassle than a pleasure. It was something that "I had to do". My hair has more or less always been between BSL and TBL, and it was not an important concern to me. I liked my hair to look nice, of course, but I didn't pay any particular attention about hair care, and I didn't have a special goal length to reach. My hair was there, and it was growing. Sometimes I realized it had grow too much because it started getting caught in things or my ends started getting worn out and calling for a trim. I had never heard about conditioning, special hair tool, hair toys or bun names and styles. I washed with first price shampoo and blow-dried it in the winter... and voilà. I bunned it a lot, though, which was totally out of fashion at the time. But fashion had never been one of my concerns anyway. I hated the idea of having a hairdresser to interfere with his/her idea of "what should be better" for me, so I kept my hair long and prefer to cope with the washing-drying hassle than to go to have it "styled" in a way that would not fit my inner self anyway (= a self who doesn't feel like fitting in any trend anyway).

And so, one day I arrived in my mid forties, after some very bad years and life/professional/health disasters I was totally devastated, exhausted and hopeless. My hair was shedding like crazy and I finally decided to go to a doctor who happened to be "the good one". It took several years to restore the basis of my emotional and physical balance, complement the deficiencies and almost totally change my life and diet. And one day I was amazed to see my hair in the mirror : it was thick again, shiny and full of life. I couldn't believe my own eyes, and since this very day, it has not been one single day where I don't look at myself and my hair in the mirror and feel like a miracle has happened ! I have realized that the beauty of both hair and body is so much linked to the inner well being.

I was so happy that I decided to enjoy my "new" hair fully : I joined the LHC and there I discovered that hair could be an amazing source of happiness and fun. How haven't I enjoyed it before ??? I felt I had lost so many years (my best years !!) living somewhere off myself, and it was time to care about myself and enjoy living in that damn woman's body, and enjoy this beautiful hair before it's too late. And since then, washing my hair became a real pleasure : every single time I thank God/life/Mom/nature to have this body and this hair. I realize how lucky I am to look 10 to 15 years younger than my age and to be able to grow such beautiful hair. Sometimes, you know, one has to touch the bottom of the pit before he/she can climb up, enjoy the sun again - fully ! - and fly...

:)

Horrorpops
April 10th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Mimha what an awesome story! It certainly sounds like you've been through a lot with health and life in general but I am glad you're doing so well! It's actually really inspirational :o also your hair is just spectacular!

As for me I love hair washing day, it's a nice chance to relax and spend some time on self care. I also like to do a deep condition and face mask - it's a weekly little moment to forget everything else. So nice :)

Eastbound&Down
April 10th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I only wash it once a week, so not much of a chore. I never wash in the morning, so I never have to really deal with wet hair during the day. Although my hair tends to stay damp for a full day after I let it dry overnight, which is partly why I hate freshly washed hair lol but I do enjoy playing with it in the shower.

casiopeia
April 10th, 2016, 09:59 AM
A treat almost always. I love washing my hair and look forward to it. Only when it's summer and I bathed in the sea and I have to wash it again even if I only washed yesterday it's an annoyance.

cat11
April 10th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I like it! I do it every Saturday when I get off work and I consider it a relaxing thing. Its also when I comb it all out and check out the length/take length pics cause its always the most stretched out and long at the end of the cycle. Yesterday I did a microtrim before I got in so it was extra exiting!

librarychick
April 10th, 2016, 10:51 AM
I LOVE washing my hair. I love water, and being warm, and you scalp has a lot of little blood vessels that (to me) feel amazing when hot water runs over my head. I love having my hair washed by someone else even more...mmmmmm.

Unfortunately, my hair disagrees. If I wet my hair too often it gets heavy and weighed down with grease, and if I stretch too far my scalp gets really unhappy. I seem to have found a happy middle ground with washing once a month, but in the winter I'd love to wash every day. Right before bed so I'm still warm and toasty for sleep.

Natalia_A00
October 17th, 2018, 12:27 PM
I know what you mean, I love washing my hair! Feeling clean and the lovely smell of my shampoo hmmm! And I also I love to apply the hair masks and conditioners. I'm always looking for natural remedies, methods and recipes for hair. For me taking care of my hair has become like a hobby

littlestarface
October 17th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Its a freaking chore, I hate washing my hair but then I hate not washing it cuz I don't feel 100% clean but god its so annoying.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 17th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Depends what sort of mood I'm in - sometimes it's a chore and sometimes it's a treat.

xoAshley
October 17th, 2018, 12:43 PM
I loooove hair wash day. It just feels like self pampering... And besides, I love the warmth of the shower. It's not a chore at all. I love the whole shower part, and then afterwards requires zero effort as I just throw it in a turbie twist for awhile, then take it down, spritz it with leave-in, and let it air dry the rest of the way.

kph12
October 17th, 2018, 12:49 PM
I LOVE my pre-wash routine whether it's a hair mask or oil treatment or scalp massage whatever. I love the actual feeling of fresh, sweet smelling hair, and the silky smoothness of it.

What I don't like is the drying process. It takes my hair FOREVER to dry, like literally 8 hours when it's down and loose. I don't blow dry my hair because it makes it frizzy and ruins the silky softness of it but dang, it takes SO long to dry and I end up having to sit there with damp hair touching me all day. Sometimes it'll be like 90% dry and i'll put it in a look bun or braid to sleep and it'll still be just as damp when I wake up :mad:

But it's 100% worth it in the end :)

Zesty
October 17th, 2018, 12:52 PM
I hate it. It's trouble and my hair looks its worst on and shortly after wash day. It's a pain to dry. I like day 2 or 3 when it's still relatively clean but has calmed down.

Cg
October 17th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Neither chore nor treat, just a weekly requirement. I do love the feel of freshly-washed dry hair though.

Joules
October 17th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Not a chore at all! I love oiling my hair, I love my masks and conditioners and shampoos with their artificial scents (Pantene Aqua Light smells like cleanliness to me, it's weird!), I love warm showers, I love it all.

I do spend an entire hour washing my hair though, give or take 5 minutes. Back when I washed every other day it was mildly annoying sometimes, but every third day is perfect it's a real treat and some me time. I'm always looking forward to wash days. If I don't have a lot of free time and it's barely enough to wash my hair, I'm more annoyed with other circumstances that ate all of my time rather than my lengthy washing routine.

I hate washing out henna though. That's a freaking chore. But I henna my roots only once every two months, so it's ok, besides, the results totally worth it.

ravenskey
October 17th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Washing is a treat but the drying is a chore that gets worse in winter, wet hair shudder:

squirrrel
October 17th, 2018, 01:25 PM
I enjoy it. I like to have time for it though, so I tend to prefer to schedule hair wash days for when I can be home for the day. I like to have a deep treatment involved, and feel like I am pampering my hair.

I’m not overly fond of drying time, but feel sorry that hair pamper time is over. Like several others, I find it a relaxing time, although fresh washed hair is often unruly.

JennGalt
October 17th, 2018, 01:57 PM
It can be both. I hate wet hair. I hate how long it can take to dry near my scalp, especially at the nape. And I hate it when post wash shrinkage make me look like I did a big chop. But I love the results when I am able to figure out exactly what my hair wants on that particular wash day (shampoo? Co-wash? Which oils pre- & post wash?) and my curls look bomb and aren’t super tangly.

I’ve also developed a strange fascination with conditioners and deep conditioners since joining the LHC. Most of the time I am too lazy to concoct my own, and my hair hates it when I go too long without a plain coconut milk only mask. But it‘s fun to experiment and try new things :D

Groovy Granny
October 17th, 2018, 02:07 PM
I love wash day, and plan for a time of day when I can relax and pamper....myself and my hair..... with luscious/fragrant oils etc.

Thankfully I have fine hair that dries quickly (though I always diffuse dry my scalp), and I love seeing the post shampoo curl explosions (it gets more sleek in dry air the next day).

Doreen
October 17th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Washing my hair and conditioning it is one of my favorite parts about having long hair. It's very relaxing for me. I wash every other day, and I could probably stretch it to be longer, but I don't really want to. :shrug:

C_Bookworm
October 17th, 2018, 02:13 PM
A lovely treat. My hair feels longest when wet, so I can dream of how close I am to the next goal. I enjoy choosing shampoos, conditioners, and perfumes that smell good. The tactile sensation of detangling my hair is very enjoyable. And I like the transition from wet to dry hair.

...which is probably a large part of the reason I wash my hair daily. Fortunately my hair/scalp is as happy with the routine as my brain is :p

GrowlingCupcake
October 17th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Chore, definitely a chore. Often quite literally a pain.

That said, it's also a treat because usually by that time I want to wash my hair so I'm glad it's getting done.

Milkchocolate
October 17th, 2018, 02:50 PM
My gosh it’s the biggest chore. Washing it and scrubbing it is a treat but that only lasts so long lol. The aftermath of wet hair is the part I hate!!!! Then the drying time that consists of 8+ hours &&&%#*
Ughhhh! Then having to seperate and schedule your days in order to wash it so it coincides with whatever is happening that week. Having to carefully plan my day out so I can be ready to wash no later than a certain time. It’s a love/ hate relationship -_-

blackgothicdoll
October 17th, 2018, 02:59 PM
It's so fun! Wash day is when my curls come out and I get to play in them. I also do a warm oil scalp massage which is always therapeutic. All of the products I use contain essential oils so I love the smells and choose my products according to what I want to smell that day. I have a bad habit of doing wash day early sometimes, and then having to do it twice - oh no! But it is oh no because it'll take my hair a good 12+ hours to dry, and I generally try not to leave my house with my hair in whatever haphazard braid arrangement I've put in to let it dry.

Dark40
October 17th, 2018, 03:27 PM
I also love washing my hair, and putting a good conditioner on it, and styling it! For many years I have always enjoyed washing my hair.

TwilightMermaid
October 17th, 2018, 03:56 PM
I love it so much! I would do it everyday and my hair would have no problems, but then I think about how I'm using up a lot of water so I only do it about every other to every four days

HaMalka
October 17th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Chore. I put it off as long as possible and do it as infrequently as possible. This was also true when I had shorter hair. I really don't like being wet.

Caraid♫
October 17th, 2018, 04:35 PM
I find it a chore mostly! It used to be no big deal, I'd wash my hair while I showered but now I've become obsessed with taking baths (I take very shallow ones so I don't waste too much water) and washing your hair during a bath is complicated so I find a separate time to wash my hair in the sink about twice a week. Long story short, I now end up putting it off much more than before!

ArabellaRose
October 17th, 2018, 05:02 PM
I used to hate it, I'd dread having showers because of it and would frequently stretch washes and have body showers. It wasn't because I hated the act, more just I hated how long it takes and would rather be doing something else.

Since taking my hair growth more seriously, and since joining LHC, I have a new found love of washing my hair. I look forward to doing it, to providing the care it needs, and even added an extra conditioning step. I quite enjoy the couple of hours I give myself after where I detangle, apply my leave in conditioner and oil, and leave my hair sitting on top of a towel for a couple of hours whilst I binge my latest choice of show (at the moment it's Lucifer, hellooooo Tom Ellis, oof). Tomorrow I'm doing my first clarifying wash and using the Loreal Dream Lengths mask for the first time, so that's another thing to look forward to :D

Ligeia Noire
October 17th, 2018, 05:06 PM
It depends. I only wash my hair once a week. So I keep Sunday afternoons clear, in order to take my time doing it. As many said, it is a time for myself. When I take a bath leave my smts/panacea salve/conditioner for an hour put a beanie on and just read... It takes the entire night to dry and I still wake up with it a bit damp if it is winter but it used to take a full day. Now that I live in a very very dry climate it dries quicker but it still takes at least 4 hours. My single hairs are fine to medium and probably porous due to my texture. What sometimes stresses me out, it is not the wash in itself but when someone rushes me or schedules something for that day and I don't have time to just relax and comb with care because I know I have to be somewhere. Or having to cook and my hair wet down my back. I do put it up when cooking anyway, but it weighs too much to be like that for more than half an hour and I do like to leave it down so i have my waves for at least a day.

Spar
October 17th, 2018, 06:07 PM
I love washing my hair. :) I love how fresh and clean it feels. Afterwards, I love blowdrying on warm with a round brush. It's the perfect pamper routine for me, although it can be time consuming.

*Wednesday*
October 17th, 2018, 07:35 PM
I wash Sundays and Wednesdays. Sunday I would say a treat, Wednesday is a chore. I get home in the evening and don't have much time and have to wait for it to air dry.

shaluwm_agape
October 17th, 2018, 07:48 PM
I love my wash day because I do love being under the warm water longer. Hair day is my "me" time but i don't like washing it more then once a week. Because I do find it to be a treat!

zashin66
October 17th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Mhhhhmmmmm wash day is a treat:joy::heartbeat

desisparkles
October 17th, 2018, 08:03 PM
I also love washing my hair and the feeling of pampering myself. Plus I have wavy hair so every time I wash I try something new - a diff leave in, cream or oil combo so it's really fun experimenting.

Arciela
October 17th, 2018, 09:42 PM
Washing used to be fun for me, taking my time and enjoying my hair. My virgin hair is thick but easy to manage, I can use anything really and it's easy to comb etc it just takes all day to dry. However, ever since I've had this endo pain (and its constant), washing can be torture, especially with the stabbing pain. Now I wash as infrequently as possible and have a hard time..but it is what it is.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 17th, 2018, 10:02 PM
Honestly, I hate it. I love the washing process but I hate wet hair.
I hate the feeling of wet hair on my body. So much.

paulownia
October 18th, 2018, 01:17 AM
I love washing my hair. It's a treat:D. I could do it every day (but I'm not of course) I always look forward to next washing session. Pampering my hair with oils and conditionner:D and it's so nice to have clean scalp. It's a very special ''me and my hair alone time''.
Doing henna on the other hand feels more like a chore. Because I have to sit with this thing on my head for long time! But it's only once a month so I can put up with it. And I'm rewarded with great shine and color:D

Equestrianchic
October 18th, 2018, 03:32 AM
Definitely a treat for me, I love new shiny fresh hair

Alibran
October 18th, 2018, 04:11 AM
Treat in summer, chore in winter.