PDA

View Full Version : Mane and tail shampoo..Do you like it?

mojavewolf1
September 5th, 2011, 04:09 PM
:confused:Hi !! I am growing out my hair again..So many decisions to make to keep it healthy as it grows..I am at the stage where there is no style whats so ever and just trying to look good with what I have..I wear real hair clip ons alot as my hair is growing which keeps me from wanting to cut!
I think my clip ons are Remy,good quality.
I wish I had known that secret before I cut my long hair off! I was shedding hair bad after the suicide of my husband,and I just cut it..But I could of put clip ons in and it would of helped me along at that time...
:DHow ever this is not about my clip ons....I have really dry hair and in the past the only shampoo that would work for me was ABBA moisture sensation and conditioner.Put just to expensive!!
So I have been trying other things as my hair grows..I just bought Argan at Sallys beauty supply..Its good but I need a switch sometimes because it is a little heavy..So I bought horse and Mane shampoo and conditioner from my local grocery store (stater Brothers) It seems to do ok so far..I want feed back on this shampoo...
I heard it also helps your hair grow and alot of women that never cut their hair for religeous reasons (Penecostal etc) use horse and mane and all of them have long great looking hair!!
If you use this shampoo and have had great results let me know? Please..If you know something that works good for dry hair let me know...:cheese:

MiamiPineapple
September 5th, 2011, 04:16 PM
First, I am very sorry to hear about my husband. I wish you good luck on your new hair growth journey.

I actaully love mane and tail shampoo. I just washed with it an hour ago! I use it once a week to really cleanse my scalp and the other days I CO wash. My hair is gotten really soft and silky, I have been using it for about 4 months now. I recommend it!!

lilasianvixen77
September 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband! I also use Mane n' Tail shampoo and conditioner! I wash every day since I get a lil oily if I don't! I also use their moisture enriched hair strengthener spray. Its a daily leave in conditioning treatment and it works fabulously for my hair! ;-)

swearnsue
September 5th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I use the Mane N Tail conditioner and like it a lot. I buy it at the local feed store in the 32 oz bottle for about $7. It smells great and leaves my hair strong and silky. Good luck on your long hair journey! Have you tried henna yet?
Coconut Oil is great to put on your ends when they are dry too.

mojavewolf1
September 6th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I use the Mane N Tail conditioner and like it a lot. I buy it at the local feed store in the 32 oz bottle for about $7. It smells great and leaves my hair strong and silky. Good luck on your long hair journey! Have you tried henna yet?
Coconut Oil is great to put on your ends when they are dry too.
I have used Henna and Indigo in the past....But when I quit usung it after I cut my hair,I went to a beauty shop(haha) and had my hair hacked into a severe ALINE cut and she died it and it came out green where the indigo was I guess!!!! She had to redo my hair and eventually she said it would have to grow and then cut it off..I am using the shampoo and conditioner of mane and tail..I need to get some organic coconut oil...
I ride a Harley and I worry about my ends getting into trouble ..I ususally wear my clip ons though when I ride..Im thinking it protects my ends plus I wear a do rag under helmet..It has grown quite abit..I just cant remember how to change my profile pic..My old one is on here to,when I was a member many years ago with my long hair..Thanks for the feed back here..:cheese:

mojavewolf1
September 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I have used Henna and Indigo in the past....But when I quit using it after I cut my hair,I went to a beauty shop(haha) and had my hair hacked into a severe ALINE cut and she dyed it and it came out green where the indigo was I guess!!!! She had to redo my hair and eventually she said it would have to grow and then cut it off..I am using the shampoo and conditioner of mane and tail..I need to get some organic coconut oil...
I ride a Harley and I worry about my ends getting into trouble ..I ususally wear my clip ons though when I ride..Im thinking it protects my ends plus I wear a do rag under helmet..It has grown quite abit..I just cant remember how to change my profile pic..My old one is on here to,when I was a member many years ago with my long hair..Thanks for the feed back here..:cheese:I am very impatient waiting for growth..But that doesnt do any good ,I dont think there is anything that will speed up growth,but to keep the ends moist so they dont break!

Chromis
September 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I used to use Mane n Tail, but I found it very harsh and drying for my hair and scalp. I did oddly like the way it smelt though!

HintOfMint
September 6th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'm so sorry about your husband. I hope that one day you'll recover.

As for the Mane 'n Tail, all I can say is Holy Protein, Batman!
It's a very protein heavy shampoo and conditioner so watch out for crunchiness.

mojavewolf1
September 6th, 2011, 07:03 PM
:confused:
I'm so sorry about your husband. I hope that one day you'll recover.

As for the Mane 'n Tail, all I can say is Holy Protein, Batman!
It's a very protein heavy shampoo and conditioner so watch out for crunchiness.
:confused:Okay so does this mean because it is full of protien it is not a good shampoo or condish for dry hair? Please advise..Thanks!I hope some day I recover fully as well,Thank you..:):rolleyes:
It was a tough call and that is why my long hair got cut in the first place...I guess I made it worse for myself...

mojavewolf1
September 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I used to use Mane n Tail, but I found it very harsh and drying for my hair and scalp. I did oddly like the way it smelt though!
:o:poot:But do you have dry hair? I do..

catamonica
September 6th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Since 2009 I have used Mane & Tail shampoo. That miracle shampoo made my hair grow fourteen inches to 1 inch past my waist. I also add olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner.
About four to five capfuls. Hair is baby soft. And I have no split ends. You might want to use just two capfuls of olive oil. And I oil the ends between shampoos. They tend to get dry.

mojavewolf1
September 6th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Since 2009 I have used Mane & Tail shampoo. That miracle shampoo made my hair grow fourteen inches to 1 inch past my waist. I also add olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner.
About four to five capfuls. Hair is baby soft. And I have no split ends. You might want to use just two capfuls of olive oil. And I oil the ends between shampoos. They tend to get dry.
:eek:Ok now your have me excited!!:cheese:Is your hair dry though? My hair and skin are both dry...I try not to wash but every three days or so....Thank you all!! I like the growth thing and I dont want to quit this shampoo unless it makes my hair to where I hate it more!!!!!:poot:

Chromis
September 6th, 2011, 07:59 PM
:o:poot:But do you have dry hair? I do..

I do indeed! I find less stripping shampoos to work the best for me, but YMMV of course. I am a big fan of shampoo bars over here.

HintOfMint
September 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
:confused:
:confused:Okay so does this mean because it is full of protien it is not a good shampoo or condish for dry hair? Please advise..Thanks!I hope some day I recover fully as well,Thank you..:):rolleyes:
It was a tough call and that is why my long hair got cut in the first place...I guess I made it worse for myself...

Protein shampoo and conditioners can be very drying for hair if used often, say, every wash. It can also build up. If your hair is coarse (thick individual strands) this tends to happen. Fine hair tends to benefit from protein more.

However, protein can be good for damaged hair and if your hair is dry from some damage, protein can help mitigate that. But make sure to do a moisturizing treatment as regularly or more so than you use protein.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 12th, 2011, 04:01 AM
The shampoo made my hair DRY out and did not make it feel good at all, and for the conditioner, im not too sure because ive never used it.
But with dry hair, you just need moisture, so what i would recommend since my hair is also dry is using protein treatments SPARINGLY, not like with mane n tail where youd use it every time you wash but instead, once every maybe 2 weeks at most. Alternating between moisture and protein treatments every week because having too much of either, is not good for your hair and can lead to breakage/drying.
I wash my hair every other day and i co wash, meaning i do not use shampoo AT ALL. I will use a clarifying shampoo once a month if my hair seems to get any sort of build up, but thats about it.
Condition more, shampoo less.

coneyisland
September 12th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Mane 'n Tail is one of the product lines I used while I grew my hair to ankle length about sixteen years ago (I did it the hard way, washing it every day). I do not know its present ingredients, but back then it contained some wax, so I stripped my hair every couple of weeks so as not to get much buildup. It worked fine for me, but I bought it only once, because some other product lines made my hair feel much better.

If your argan oil product is the type that is principally of "cones," watch out for buildup. It would probably be great stuff for protecting your ends.

You might try baggying with most any moisturizing conditioner after your regular clarifying, then using the argan oil product to seal your moisturized ends.

skye16
September 12th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I use Mane and Tail shampoo for every other shampoo. I use a variety of other shampoos, Suave, Aussie, Pantene etc. I use the M&T conditioner (diluted by 1/3) about once a week, from the ears down. I have extremely oily hair though. I coconut oil from the ears down once a month or so too. Itend to use the M&T conditioner more often in the winter. I've been using Mane and Tail since the 80's when I had horses and it first came out! LOL

beez1717
September 14th, 2011, 02:41 AM
I sware by my mane and tail. Makes my hair look amazing. And the bottles are HUGE and it doesn't cost much at all! Also does wonders for my brother's dog :)

I remember when I came home with my bottles and my brother was confused becasuse he thought I had used the dog's shampoo. Lol! I had to explain things to him. He still doesn't get why I need one brand or another.

Lightningfury
November 9th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I noticed recently that my local grocery carries mane n' tail and I was so excited because this is something I used as a child. It was so cool using horsey shampoo. But I've been bouncing around trying to find info on long hair to and finally found this site. Surprisingly there are no product reviews for it. But I'm gonna pick up some tonight. From what I've read in this thread protein seems to be the only big draw back is it's protein heavy which if you check their website is one of the things they're proud of.

I was hope it works for me because I remember loving the stuff.

error
November 9th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Oh mane and tail is great! Do remember it can be a little harsh on human hair since it is meant for such a large animal . so dilute it just a smidge I really only use a little dot of it directly on my scalp and wash it out quickly but it gets rid of all the buildup , and it lasts for a very long time , I also love their conditioner , i usually buy two or three bottles of the conditioner to every one shampoo I purchase , it is cone free and has a lot of protein , my hair loves it . i even use it for deep condish treatments and as a leave in when i do my braids :>

jacqueline101
November 9th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I use mane n tail shampoo and condish and I love it. I wish you good luck on your growing journey.

akilina
November 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I think you just need to experiment and see what works best for you and find an oil that you really like. i like coconut oil and i really like castor oil. a little bit goes a long way though (atleast for me)
as for the mane n tail...i personally dont like it. i havent used it since i was 15, 5 years ago. It seemed to dry my hair out :[
But at the same time things that dont work for one work awesomely for another.
goodluck ;)

Browniegirl
November 10th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I do not like Mane and Tail.It really was not so much about drying,my hair does pretty good with protein, but it gives me buildup.I really like my hair to smell good, and that stuff smells awfull! It has lanolin in it, the oil sheep have in their fleece. It stings my eyes like crazy, and made my skin break out.Glad some of you guys seem to enjoy it ,haha!

gthlvrmx
November 10th, 2011, 03:07 PM
The original conditioner i like. I use it when my hair needs some protein.

blondie9912
November 10th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I have fine hair that has been damaged from bleaching, highlighting, and colouring, and therefore is quite dry now. I found Mane n Tail to have WAY too much protein for my hair, made it crunchy and gummy at the same time. Not nice

Diamond.Eyes
November 10th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I have used Mane and Tail in the past and the shampoo was really harsh. It made my hair squeak :(. I also found that the conditioner didn't moisturize my hair very well. It did make it shiny, but it also made my ends rather brittle from the protein. I'll just stick with my current shampoo and condish. :)

jojo
November 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I like M&T especially the deep moisture one, it makes my hair fuller. I only use it once a month to give my hair some protein. The formula is for either humans or horses as it states on the bottle!!!

My only advise would be not to use it as your regular shampoo & conditioner it will build up and can cause dryness, especially the original one. Growth wise, it doesn't as such make my hair grow BUT it does add strength to my fine hair and prevents splits and breakage, so I get to keep my extra growth!

LAG93
July 9th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I just bought some mane n tail original shampoo and condish. I've used it once and I really like the way my hair feels.its the third day since I first wash with it and it still feels clean and amazing! Which is unusual for me, I usually have to use a dry shampoo on my third day because it gets so oily. Mane n tail made my hair clean, a little dry but in a good way if that makes sense, it's still shiny and so soft. I guess I will see how well it does long term, I'm thinking ill only need to use it every five days or so. I will update!

LAG93
July 9th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Ps it also smells amazing!

Michiru
July 9th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Just to clarify. Everyone is talking about the original, not this one http://www.drugstore.com/mane-n-tail-olive-oil-complex-with-herbal-essentials-shampoo/qxp345202?catid=183498 right? I was thinking about getting one but saw there where two cleansers and a cone so I'm not sure if I want to try.

LAG93
July 11th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I am talking about the origional, yes. But it does have sulfates and cones. I have used sulfates and cones all my life, my hair likes them, when I tried switching, it wasn't happy. If your hair doesn't like them though I would avoid this shampoo and con because the shampoo is stronger than most commercial sulfate shampoos, for me that isn't a bad thing because it allows me to stretch washes much longer

irisheyes
July 12th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I used this several times but found out pretty quickly that my hair doesn't like so much protein, so I cut back to occasional use. Oddly enough, I had my best results after accidently keeping the shampoo on for a long time; my old fashioned shower wasn't regulating water temperature properly and I was left with a head full of Mane N Tail shampoo for 10-15 minutes while I waited and fiddled with the water faucet. I was positive my hair would be straw after that, but to my surprise it turned out silky and shiny! I wouldn't dare to leave it on like that again.