PDA

View Full Version : My Bsl/waist/tailbone Is Longer Than Your Bsl/waist/tailbone

toodramatik
June 30th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Okay soooo...

I am what you can call obsessed with hair. My hair, your hair, your mother's hair. Everyone's hair. Just hair.

Anyway, thanks to how weird I am I keep looking in the mirror and putting like, a top and pretending it's my hair just so I can see how bsl/waist/classic would look on me. But the thing is, on me I think BSL looks soooo long, and yet when I see other people with BSL hair I'm like.. meh, it's not that long.

Does this make sense?! AT ALL!?!

peachy.pudding
June 30th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I feel the other way, bsl on me feels short but looks long on others, sigh

Laululintu
June 30th, 2008, 02:40 AM

I'm exactly the same.. When I see others with hair as long as mine (between TB and classic), it always somehow seems much longer than mine.

sipnsun
June 30th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I agree with peach.pudding, I always think my hair looks shorter than everyone elses. But I also obsess about hair in general, not just my own. I know my DH gets sick and tired of hearing about it! (He He).

sipnsun
June 30th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Sorry its peachy.pudding, not peach.pudding. I left out my y!

eadwine
June 30th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Same here too. I feel like I am a shorty, yet the same length on others is looonggg.. I guess it has to do with the fact that we cannot see from behind what our hair looks like :)

morgwn
June 30th, 2008, 08:14 AM
When I see hair that's waist-length on others it looks beautifully long and yet looking in the mirror I always think my hair looks awfully short even though it's getting toward waist. So I think perhaps we just always get a skewed vision when we see the mirror versus other people. Perhaps it's also the whole 'we're our own worst critic' thing? :shrug:

jojo
June 30th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I always think others hair looks longer too.

I was stood behind a woman the other day waiting to use the ATM, her hair was APL and I thought her hair is nice and long and then I realised, my hair was a lot longer!

Bit like when you lose weight, you know your thinner as you need smaller clothes, but you still feel big! Hair must grow faster than we realise, as it doesn't give our perspective minds time to catch up mentally with the difference. If that makes sense!

neenerbabe
June 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I blame LHC, lol. Everyone I see keeps exclaiming, 'wow, your hair is getting soooo long!' and I always grumble that it's not waist/hip/knee/tripover-length........:rolleyes: You've all made me shoot for loftier goals than I thought possible, lol!:D

Islandgrrl
June 30th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Joining the "my hair seems shorter than yours" crowd. Even when my hair was knee length (and it'll be there again...), I would look at women with classic length hair and think "wow her hair is sooooo long." It would take me a while to realize that my own hair was close to a foot longer....DUH! It just never FELT that long to me.

Gothic Lolita
June 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM
It's the same for me. I'm just a few centimeters away from hip and I still consider my hair as short. Here, BSL is called lang, and everytime I see a BSL I think that it really is long, whereas my hair is still so short.
I really should be getting a more decent image of myself. It's the same about weight. I always compare myself with people who weigh 10 kilo more than I do, but I think we have the same figure...

jenna
June 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM

that's pretty much how it is for me, too. everyone's hair always seems longer than mine.

Neon Gloss
June 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM
My hair is preeeetty short, but everybody thinks it's long. There are also some days when I think it's getting longer and I bask in joy, and then people tell me it's not THAT long.. Then I pull my hair straight and then they say, "er, nevermind. you should straighten your hair one day!" :)

jivete
June 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I feel the same way. Instead of body dismorphism it's hair dismorphism.

peachy.pudding
June 30th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Sorry its peachy.pudding, not peach.pudding. I left out my y!

lol no problem

peachy.pudding
June 30th, 2008, 01:02 PM

lol i like this

Katka
June 30th, 2008, 01:27 PM
My hair is almost BSL but seems rather short - but that is only because itīs very thick.

lora410
June 30th, 2008, 01:29 PM
BSL looks long on other, but feels disgustingly short on me..ehh

Nightshade
June 30th, 2008, 01:30 PM

Well put. When I trim Beldaran's hair or visit Belisama and dust her ends I'm standing there combing out their hair marveling at how LONG it is. And mine is a bit longer than both theirs :rolleyes:

It isn't jut the length, either. Beldaran has dubbed me with "hair anorexia" where I still perceive it as more damaged/darker than it really is. My brain is still saying, "YOUR HAIR IS DAMAGED" but now it's actually very healthy.

The ends are still damaged, though. Perhaps not "damaged" by neutral standards, but aren't as nice as my henna/cassia only length.

Euphony
June 30th, 2008, 01:34 PM
hahaha my husband and I have this conversation a lot

Me: honey, looooook at her hair, it's so long and pretty
DH: ummmm your hair is A LOT longer

Than I keep staring at the other person's hair trying to figure out how mine could possibly be longer.

Periwinkle
June 30th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I have that :(

I took my BSL hair out of its bun the other day and redid it and about six people said 'oh my gosh, you have such long hair!'. To me, though, it feels like nothing...

Cichelle
June 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I always think other people's hair looks longer than mine at the same length. Part of that has to do with being a curly, I think.

UncommonTart
June 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
My hair is just past tailbone length and I still don't think of it as long, but when I see someone else with hair to mid-back, I think theirs is long. I guess I've got the hair dimorphism, too.

UncommonTart
June 30th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Ooops- dismorphism. Quite another thing altogether, no?

GlennaGirl
June 30th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I didn't read the entire thread yet, so hopefully I'm not repeating something that anyone else has said, but part of the reason others' BSL hair looks long is that we're looking at the entire head, including the back of the head.

By contrast, when we look in the mirror, we're looking at our fronts. And the front of the body "bumps out" whereas the back goes down rather straighter. That's why hair that measures BSL from the back doesn't necessarily go halfway down the br e asts (separated in case of Googling weirdos) in the front.

Hope that makes sense.

Riot Crrl
June 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I'm totally convinced that my hair is shorter than other people's hair at my measurement, whether it's in inches or like "just past BSL."

The BSL part: I am short and my torso is especially short. Someone taller and/or with a longer torso, at "just past BSL" has longer hair than me.

Measuring: Consider how the measuring convention works. I have a large head. So a lot of my inches are used up just measuring from the front hairline to the nape hairline. Leaving less inches for from the nape on down.

Combined with the fact that my hair has further to reach around my head before I can even start twisting for an updo, I can only make like half of an updo that someone else at my same measurement could make if their hair is thinner and/or they have a normal size head. And my hair is not even that thick.

Plus there is curliness and shrinkage, but I don't really factor that in to this since I am measuring pulled straight, and creating updos pulled straight.

SweetPea88
June 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I always think my hair is much shorter than others and that's rarely ever true! I think part of it has to do with my layers, they make my hair feel shorter.

Ndnlady
June 30th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I have the hair dismorphic disorder too, :p I never think my hair is really that long. Even though I have dh, dd, and everyone else telling me I have long hair.:)

truepeacenik
June 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I just now feel like my hair is long, at classic.
For years I described the bottom of ribcage to classic zone as "longish."

Cereus
June 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM
When I was in high school my boyfriend was into photography. He had a picture of a girl from behind with beautiful long hair. I was jealous and asked him who that was. He replied that it was me!

Angellen
June 30th, 2008, 10:31 PM
When I was in high school my boyfriend was into photography. He had a picture of a girl from behind with beautiful long hair. I was jealous and asked him who that was. He replied that it was me!
:p That's such a happy story! I couldn't help but smile.

I have this, too, but as its about hip now, I'm starting to slowly phase out of it...slowly.

toodramatik
June 30th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Haha, you're all making me giggle xD

What I meant wasn't such a psychological thing, I meant, physically looks different. I think it's because I have a weird shaped head, and long neck, and long back, sooo I think BSL on me is actually longer than BSL of other people, even if I am only 5'4.

n3m3sis42
July 1st, 2008, 04:04 AM
Haha, you're all making me giggle xD

What I meant wasn't such a psychological thing, I meant, physically looks different. I think it's because I have a weird shaped head, and long neck, and long back, sooo I think BSL on me is actually longer than BSL of other people, even if I am only 5'4.

I acutally do agree with this. I, like most of the others on this thread so far, suffer from "hair dysmorphia" (not that my hair doesn't have numerous *real* issues due to previous mistreatment). My hair never "feels" as long as it should.

...But objectively, my waist length is longer than that of a lot of people who are the same height as I am. There's a "How many inches is waist on you?" thread around here somewhere, and there are women who are 5'10" and their waists are at 28". Here I am at 5'4", and at 30+ inches, my hair is still hovering at "Can I call this waist?" In my case, it's because I have a VERY long torso (although I think my neck may be on the long side as well).

Anje
July 1st, 2008, 07:19 AM
Add me to the dysmorphia list. I marvel at how long someone's waist-length hair looks. Nevermind that mine is rapidly approaching tailbone -- it can't possibly be as long as hers.

Beldaran
July 2nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Well put. When I trim Beldaran's hair or visit Belisama and dust her ends I'm standing there combing out their hair marveling at how LONG it is. And mine is a bit longer than both theirs :rolleyes:

It isn't jut the length, either. Beldaran has dubbed me with "hair anorexia" where I still perceive it as more damaged/darker than it really is. My brain is still saying, "YOUR HAIR IS DAMAGED" but now it's actually very healthy.

The ends are still damaged, though. Perhaps not "damaged" by neutral standards, but aren't as nice as my henna/cassia only length.

Longer because you can call yours tailbone and mine is between hip and waist? Yes.

Longer in inches? Possibly not being that I am taller than you, and also have a long torso.

I haven't measured in ages, so I have no idea where I'm at. I do think the last time we measured we were with in an inch of each other.

Nightshade
July 2nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Longer because you can call yours tailbone and mine is between hip and waist? Yes.

Longer in inches? Possibly not being that I am taller than you, and also have a long torso.

I haven't measured in ages, so I have no idea where I'm at. I do think the last time we measured we were with in an inch of each other.

I'm right around 37-38 inches now :D

We were pretty close, though. Does this mean I have to go post in the short-people's thread? :wail:

Ohio Sky
July 2nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
My hair seems longer than others I see who actually have longer hair compared to their body proportions... but, Im taller than most. Im starting to realize that my hair is long, but on most people my hair would be waist or longer, but on me, its barely past BSL.
I had this conversation with Happylynngilmer the other day, because her hair is only about 3" longer than mine and is at "can I call this hip?" while mine in 3 inches will be at "can I call this waist?"

anna1850
July 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
I had a strange experience yesterday. My mother and I were going to the gym and we were in our car and passed someone walking with long hair. She was wearing a rucksack and her hair was over the top of it and looked really long.

Mum: (Shocked) "Oh my god. That girl has hair down to her waist!"
Me: (Pause) "Yeah, because I don't..."
Mum: "Oh, yours just seems more... 'contained' somehow."

To be fair I think the girl's hair might have been hip-length and she looked taller than me but I found it funny that I've been thinking my hair's getting quite long but some peoples' waist-length hair seems a lot longer. I don't think mine is at all 'stare-worthy' yet but I've seen other people with hair as long as mine that's more noticeable.

On a side-note, my mother doesn't know how long I plan to grow my hair and I wonder how long it will take before she notices that I'm trying to grow it very long :)

beyondcute
September 3rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
I like the term hair-norexic. Striving for the seemingly impossible, achieving it only to be convinced that there is more work to do. I fear that I will never be satisfied with my hair. I will always lust after the hair of others, finding perfection in theirs and room for improvement in my own. I should really work on this. I saw a woman from behind and I just KNEW her hair was my goal... Until I kept looking and realized her hair was cut... blunt... at APL. I would have to cut off atleast 5 inches to have her hair. I can say I do look more at body placement AND the quality of the hair before turning my nose up at my own hair for its faults.

Dear hair,

Im sorry Ive been so hard on you. Im really proud of you! I know you will achieve great things in your lifetime!

Sincerely,

Your Pal