PDA

View Full Version : Resins in haircare products?

Sopotito
September 5th, 2011, 03:53 AM
There are warnings about the residue resins can leave in hair in the catnip thread. This resin residue may not let other products in the hair and it may also be very difficult to get rid of.

Therefore, I would like to make some investigation about what to avoid (the most common INCI names of resins in haircare products and resin containing herbs that are used in haircare) and the most efficient ways to get rid of resin residue.

I tried googling but could not find anything so I hope the great LHC would be able to help me.

Sopotito
September 5th, 2011, 03:54 AM
The great LHC community, I meant to say :)

CurlyMopTop
September 5th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Bumping this thread!! I'd love to learn more. :)

Sopotito
September 7th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Bumping this thread!! I'd love to learn more. :)

Thank you, me too! I remember there has been something about resins in other herbal treatments in the catnip thread and also in some threads about buildup... It would just be so wonderful to be able to create a clear list about all the ingredients and herbs to avoid.

Thank you so much if there are some haircare gurus here who can help collect this information!

Sopotito
September 7th, 2011, 02:42 AM
I meant to say: there has been something about resins in herbs in the catnip thread.
(I think I should proofread before clicking the Send button :)

ktani
September 7th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Henna, lawsonia inermis, contains resin. Roman chamomile contains resin. A number of herbs contain it in varying amounts.

If you look up a herb or plant by constituents, you will get a list which contains the most active or largest amount of them (sometimes there are many and a list given is short).

The list will tell you what can depending on quantities used and frequency, affect results, like build-up.

ktani
September 7th, 2011, 03:42 AM
The best way to search a plant is first to find its Latin name. Often the information is far more complete as common names can be used to describe several plants, example neutral henna.

Neutral henna is cassia, not true henna, which is a different plant completely.

CurlyMopTop
September 7th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Thank you Ktani. :)

ktani
September 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Thank you Ktani. :)

You are most welcome!

Re a list - it would be very long. It is easier to look up a plant as one needs to do.

Resin is not the only thing that can build-up from plants - mucilage is another - German chamomile contains it, fenugreek, linden tea and more. Some plants contain both.

ETA: You can shortcut a search by the Latin name and mucilage for example - you will get something like this, which is also called German chammomile.
http://www.purplesage.org.uk/profiles/chamomile.htm

Mucilage and polysaccharides both build-up.

Sopotito
September 9th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Thank you very much Ktani!

Are there any non-herbal resins, mucilage or polysaccarides that might be present in commercial haircare products?

It's a lot of work, but I'll try to sort out ingredient by ingredient all the haircare stuff I'm currently using to find out if there are any resins, mucilage or polysaccarides in them. I'm afraid searching out dozens, maybe hundreds of ingredients one by one might be quite a challenge (and take an awful lot of time!), that's why I was hoping there might be a list available, somewhere on the Internet...

I'd like to start using the catnip infusion as a conditioner, but first I need to find out if the rest of my haircare stuff is compatible. If not, I'll first try to finish everything I've got in my bathroom now and then try to find new products that are more suitable.

Also, if the products I'm now using are leaving some residue in my hair, I'd like to get rid of that first. Is a baking soda "wash" enough for removing buildup, or should I rather use a deep cleansing shampoo or some cleansing herbs?