PDA

View Full Version : Alright, what's going on with my ends?

angelfell
September 4th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I'm trying to stretch out washes, but my ends are giving me a hard time. Post-shower, I let my air dry with a little coconut oil/Biosilk oil rubbed along the length. My ends dry perfectly fine. But after I sleep on them? Tangled and ratty looking, particularly post-comb/brush. My ends are considerably damaged I'd say, so maybe that's why, but I would think it would be after shower too, other than just the next day. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. I'm trying not to trim too much, but I have to admit I've sort of abused my length in my day :(.. although most of it is cut out.

ETA: The shampoo/conditioner I use is GF Sleek & Shine, and I ACV rinse every Tuesday and then deep oil condition every Wednesday.. maybe that helps :p Also, I only shampoo my scalp, I condition the length. I shampoo it all maybe once/twice a month.

spidermom
September 4th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Have you clarified? Often it's the coating on your hair that's all dried out, not the hair itself.

angelfell
September 4th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Have you clarified? Often it's the coating on your hair that's all dried out, not the hair itself.

Well.. does ACV count :p? If not, then probably not.

Sundial
September 4th, 2011, 05:59 PM
ACV doesn't count. You need to do it with a clarifying shampoo :p some people use baking soda too and follow it with an ACV rinse but not everyone's hair likes that

celebriangel
September 4th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I would clarify, then do an SMT. My ends are always great after I do this.

However, it is in the nature of ends that, particularly if they haven't been cut in a while or are old, they lose moisture more quickly than the rest of your hair, which is why they seem okay on wash day but not the day after: they can be moisturised, but find it hard to retain the moisture.

To mitigate this, when my ends feel dry, I wet them a bit with my fingers then dab on some of nightblooming's panacea salve - you could probably use any oil which will "seal in" the moisture.

Question - what is biosilk oil?

angelfell
September 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM
ACV doesn't count. You need to do it with a clarifying shampoo :p some people use baking soda too and follow it with an ACV rinse but not everyone's hair likes that

Ahhh okay. Hmm.. I'll have to look into that, thanks :)

I would clarify, then do an SMT. My ends are always great after I do this.

However, it is in the nature of ends that, particularly if they haven't been cut in a while or are old, they lose moisture more quickly than the rest of your hair, which is why they seem okay on wash day but not the day after: they can be moisturised, but find it hard to retain the moisture.

To mitigate this, when my ends feel dry, I wet them a bit with my fingers then dab on some of nightblooming's panacea salve - you could probably use any oil which will "seal in" the moisture.

Question - what is biosilk oil?

Maybe I'll just add some extra coconut oil the day after and see how that goes, after I try clarifying. It's a hair brand thing, I am specifically referring to Biosilk Silk Therapy oil, makes my hair soft and smell great and you only need a little bit.

spidermom
September 4th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Products with 'cones (which I believe Biosilk has) have a reputation for building up. I use cones and do a thorough clarifying wash about once every 3-4 months. I also get (or do) regular small trims.

mallorykay13
September 4th, 2011, 08:08 PM
If I only C-COW-C wash or CO wash, does a "Daily Clarifying" shampoo count as clarifying?

Charybdis
September 4th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Do you put your hair in a sleep braid? My DH's hair gets a lot of tangles at the ends caused by mechanical damage when he sleeps in a ponytail, and they look a bit like what you describe. Is it possible that your hair is curlier than you think it is? Curly hair really seems to be susceptible to these kinds of tangles at the ends....

caiti42
September 4th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Biosilk is full of cones yes. I think it would be counter productive to use that and coconut. You're using cones to create a barrier on your hair, and coconut is just going to sit in top of that and build up rather than absorbing into the hair.

My ends get tangly like that when I have build up and need a trim. Maybe try a small trim and see how you go?

chickpea
September 4th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Joico chelating shampoo is great for removing buildup and can also help to remove hard water minerals. When the ends of my hair are sticking together like velcro, I clarify first then deep condition. If they still don't improve, then I know it's time for a trim. :)

Lianna
September 5th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Coconut oil does that to some people's hair. How about clarify and try a different oil? And oils and cones can work together.

ccmso12
September 5th, 2011, 01:30 AM
My hair hates coconut oil and is very similiar to your hair. When I tried coconit oil thats what happened to me, as well as when I tried olive oil. I found a light oil like Jajoba worked wonderfully.1

Alacris~
September 5th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Coconut (&ojoba) oil do that to my hair too. Maybe you should try a different kind of deep/leave in conditioner

angelfell
September 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Biosilk is full of cones yes. I think it would be counter productive to use that and coconut. You're using cones to create a barrier on your hair, and coconut is just going to sit in top of that and build up rather than absorbing into the hair.

My ends get tangly like that when I have build up and need a trim. Maybe try a small trim and see how you go?

I apply the coconut oil first, and then wait a few minutes, and then apply the biosilk stuff. I was hoping I would avoid the scenario you described, but I'm not sure :p.

My hair hates coconut oil and is very similiar to your hair. When I tried coconit oil thats what happened to me, as well as when I tried olive oil. I found a light oil like Jajoba worked wonderfully.1

That sucks :( The rest of my hair loves it! Maybe just not my ends?

Joico chelating shampoo is great for removing buildup and can also help to remove hard water minerals. When the ends of my hair are sticking together like velcro, I clarify first then deep condition. If they still don't improve, then I know it's time for a trim. :)

I'll have to look into that too.. I'm doing some clarifying shampoo research right now at work :p

Oh I hope my hair doesn't hate coconut oil. That means I'll have to find a new oil :(.

So I'll try clarifying, and if that doesn't work, maybe try another oil. And if THAT doesn't work.. trim XD.