PDA

View Full Version : post swim hair treatment?

cleanbug
September 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Hi all, just got back from a week at Wisconson Dells. Chlorine and sun for a week strait is NOT good for the hair. Any suggestions on some deep treatments to get my hair back to tip top shape?
Thanks

cheetahfast
September 4th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I'm not sure of post treatments, but my hairdresser always reminds me when I get a haircut before or during the summer to coat my hair in olive oil before swimming in any ocean, lake, or pool. He says it prevents salt and chlorine from drying out your hair. Since my hair is naturally dry and curly, I have been that weird girl with a bottle of olive oil at the beach :rolleyes:

If I were you I'd probably wash my hair with a chlorine shampoo and then do a deep oil treatment or SMT.

bluesnowflake
September 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Clarify an do a long SMT or other deep treatment is what I did when I swam a lot for a week. Also, be nice to it with oils and updos and things. Whenever I swim, I coat it in EVOO and pony it with ties every 2 inches down the length. Protects nicely and is the most tangle-free swimming style I've tried.

pepperminttea
September 4th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Use a chelating shampoo to get the chlorine out, and follow with your favourite deep moisture treatment. I'd recommend an SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). :)

ktani
September 4th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Club soda left on the hair for a few minutes and then rinsed out should neutralize remaining chlorine in the hair and then you can condition your hair as you see fit.

Just pour it throough your hair, completely covering all of it, wait a bit, then rinse.