PDA

View Full Version : Calling everyone who used to be 1c/2a

Audrey Horne
September 4th, 2011, 05:42 AM
This thread is for everyone who used to be 1c/2a at some point BUT became wavier/wurlier/curlier/straighter. I'd be very interested to hear from you!

I suspect that as my hair grows it becomes wurlier... However, I might be mistaken. I washed, airdried my hair and just left it as it was. Then combed it and I still have wurlies all over the place! I think my hair is about to change its classifier as it hits the next milestone or two.

I have some questions for you here. I appreciate all your answers and stories. :blossom:

1. When you were 1c/2a what length was it?
2. At what length did you start noticing the change?
3. What was the change like? More towards straight OR towards the curly side?

Sahar24
September 4th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hey! Glad I'm not the only one :)
I was a 1c/2a but now am thinking starting into 2b bracket. I don't know if this is because I've given up heat or because it's got longer...
Here's the deal:

I used to blow dry (not necessarily straight, just to dry it) and sometimes use irons (straight or curl). When I left it to dry naturally it was frizzy and definitely a little wurly. That was at BSL. Now when I leave it to dry it's more curly than wurly. This is at MBL (2" from waist).

I am loving the curls so much! I'm actually hoping it will keep getting curlier for now :)

katienoonan
September 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
My hair type has changed quite a lot simply because of the condition it's in! Years of dying it red and blow-frying/straightening has given it a frizzy whirl it never had... it has no shape! xXx

pepperminttea
September 4th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I originally classified my hair as 1c/2a. :) It's a mixture really - the canopy is about a 1B/C, whereas the underlayer is more 2B, sometimes even pushing 2B/2C - after damp combing I get these loose twists (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7365&pictureid=104419) which confuse me all the more. I know of hair twins with 1C hair, and with 2B/C hair. It's a right old mess. :p 2A seemed the most accurate 'middle ground' classification, when my hair's taken as a whole.

As my hair has gotten healthier, it definitely has more wave, and going 'cone-free (and now, just using a 'cone-y serum in an otherwise 'cone-free routine) definitely increased my waves. The thing with most of my wave is, it goes as soon as I detangle - even just with fingercombing. In order to keep it, I have to follow the Curly Girl method, and the lack of detangling and touching just doesn't work for me. I end up with the beginning of dreads, especially at my nape near the roots. So I make do with bun and braid waves, and I detangle and comb my hair damp, so my natural, uneven muddle of a wave pattern rarely emerges.

ps. If you're wondering, those are braidwaves in my sig photo. ;)

Mairéad
September 4th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I'm really excited to see what my hair will do as it becomes longer. Right now it's really, really straight. When my hair was BSL a few years ago I had a few loose S-waves among my straighties that were really beautiful, and that was back when I beat the crap out of my hair! I hope I get a few more when my hair grows out now that I take such good care of it.

Here's what they looked like. I hope they come back!

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af276/Random_Goldfish/Justme.jpg

xoerincolleen
September 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM
My hair seems to be getting straighter as it grows! If I CO wash and then don't touch it, it gets quite wavy, but if I comb it at all while it's wet, it's mostly straight. And, if I don't tuck my hair behind my ears, I get little ringlets on the sides as it dries.
Pepperminttea, I can't deal with the "no-touching" thing either!

gthlvrmx
September 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hormonal changes contributed to my change :)

1. When you were 1c/2a what length was it? I was between the ages of 1-8, i had 1b hair and never let it get past nose.
2. At what length did you start noticing the change? Er i guess after i cut it to buzz cut and puberty hit at 8-9 yr old, my hair grew back super curly, i had 3a curls.
3. What was the change like? More towards straight OR towards the curly side? Curly! Like crazy, i lost my curls due to damage and no care during high school and eventually only had 2c hair, but now i am on the curly train. But the longer it get's, the more my curls get pulled out, so it get's wavier as it grows.

pepperminttea
September 4th, 2011, 02:15 PM
My hair seems to be getting straighter as it grows! If I CO wash and then don't touch it, it gets quite wavy, but if I comb it at all while it's wet, it's mostly straight. And, if I don't tuck my hair behind my ears, I get little ringlets on the sides as it dries.
Pepperminttea, I can't deal with the "no-touching" thing either!

So glad it's not just me! :) And you reminded me, I get little tight-ish curls (about 1cm-1.5cm diameter) just behind my ears, in that forever-short area of fuzz between the nape and ears that with a typical man's 'short back and sides' cut they shave off.

Sahar24
September 4th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I totally agree - I can't do the no touching thing either.
Even when it's dry and wavy/curly I brush with a tangle teaser - it makes it a little poofy (only a little) but kimberlily's defrizzer fixes that pretty quickly!
I think I prefer slightly poofy/voluminous to the dread look I get if I don't touch it at all.

oktobergoud
September 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I have no idea if I belong here or not.. my hair is still so short! Right now it's very wavy.. but it might get more straight when it gets longer and heavier (and the layers more even)...

dRummie
September 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM
It was hormones for me, too. It was around 1b-1c until I cut it super short around 20. I had the short cut for a couple of years, and when recently I grew it out, it came in curly enough that I can't brush all the wave out of my hair no matter how many days post-wash it's been. It is pretty much straight until at least my ears, though. I'm excited to see how the pattern develops as it gets longer.

Audrey Horne
September 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM
sometimes even pushing 2B/2C - after damp combing I get these loose twists (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7365&pictureid=104419) which confuse me all the more.

I end up with the beginning of dreads, especially at my nape near the roots. So I make do with bun and braid waves, and I detangle and comb my hair damp, so my natural, uneven muddle of a wave pattern rarely emerges.
Pepperminttea, I get half of my head full of those twists, the other half look like chinese noodles :o There's no pattern anymore, it's just random. I second the "not touching" thing, my hair looks weird when untouched, so I detangle when it's wet. I haven't noticed untill now how wurly my hair became with time.

I'm really excited to see what my hair will do as it becomes longer. Right now it's really, really straight. When my hair was BSL a few years ago I had a few loose S-waves among my straighties that were really beautiful, and that was back when I beat the crap out of my hair! I hope I get a few more when my hair grows out now that I take such good care of it.

Here's what they looked like. I hope they come back.
Your hair looks lovely :flower: I think you have some wave-potential there ;)

That's what everyone keeps telling me but untill now my hair "jumps up", it makes it look suddenly somewhat shorter, like it doesn't even grow :(
Yours is already so long!

Hormonal changes contributed to my change :)

1. When you were 1c/2a what length was it? I was between the ages of 1-8, i had 1b hair and never let it get past nose.
2. At what length did you start noticing the change? Er i guess after i cut it to buzz cut and puberty hit at 8-9 yr old, my hair grew back super curly, i had 3a curls.
3. What was the change like? More towards straight OR towards the curly side? Curly! Like crazy, i lost my curls due to damage and no care during high school and eventually only had 2c hair, but now i am on the curly train. But the longer it get's, the more my curls get pulled out, so it get's wavier as it grows.
I had curls too when I was about 6 y o (maybe like yours)! Then wavy with some wurls at 9-10 (I had classic). I was very wurly even with my first chin length bob at the age of 13. Then at 14 I started dying I think, so yeah...
Mine don't "clump" properly like yours. They are super thin (and uglish lol), it confuses me.[/QUOTE]

I just wanna tell you that I'm glad I'm not the only one :blossom:

luthein
September 5th, 2011, 09:24 AM
My hair is getting straighter as it grows. At shoulder, I was 2b. Now, at super-close-to-BSL, I'm 2a.

Kelikea
September 5th, 2011, 10:08 AM
My hair use to be more of a 1c/2a and I got perms. When I learned to leave it alone, then it held more of its own wave/curl pattern. My hair hasn't been "short" since I was a kid, so not sure if the length has much to do with it. To keep its waves, I touch/comb it less when wet, leave it to dry, then detangle sligthly/very gently, and it responds well to water spritzing. My mom had stick-straight hair her whole life until menopause. Now it looks like mine at a 2b/2c.

Audrey Horne
September 6th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Am I the only one whose hair "clumps" in these tiny thin wurls&waves? I envy those thick ringlets that others have ;)

Lippytoes
September 6th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I originally classified my hair as 1c/2a. :) It's a mixture really - the canopy is about a 1B/C, whereas the underlayer is more 2B, sometimes even pushing 2B/2C - after damp combing I get these loose twists (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7365&pictureid=104419) which confuse me all the more. I know of hair twins with 1C hair, and with 2B/C hair. It's a right old mess. :p 2A seemed the most accurate 'middle ground' classification, when my hair's taken as a whole.

As my hair has gotten healthier, it definitely has more wave, and going 'cone-free (and now, just using a 'cone-y serum in an otherwise 'cone-free routine) definitely increased my waves. The thing with most of my wave is, it goes as soon as I detangle - even just with fingercombing. In order to keep it, I have to follow the Curly Girl method, and the lack of detangling and touching just doesn't work for me. I end up with the beginning of dreads, especially at my nape near the roots. So I make do with bun and braid waves, and I detangle and comb my hair damp, so my natural, uneven muddle of a wave pattern rarely emerges.

ps. If you're wondering, those are braidwaves in my sig photo. ;)

Gosh, this sounds so similar to my hair. I'm wondering if I should change my classification to a total 2a. :confused: I also get the loose twisty type things you mention, at my temples... Confusing!