PDA

View Full Version : Those pesky fuzzy bits around my face and coarse hair in general - having a whinge!!

julliams
September 4th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Ok, so I'm having one of those days where I'm questioning if I really want my hair long - yada, yada, yada. I'm in one of "those" moods.

But anyway - those fuzzy bits around my hairline and over my ears - they are positively driving me crazy. I'm sure I have enough to call bangs when I pull them to the front.

Here's what I'm talking about - nice bun ruined by fuzziness that will not be tamed - not by gel, hairspray, water - anything!!
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6186/6111563160_22e2ce9bb2.jpg

So, what do you do with them? They are always going to be short and they are never going to change so what if I just flat ironed those bits? I bet they would stick straight up in the air!!!

I know I have my dad's hair because his is like this all over. Here is another shot I took for my ficcare colour photo.
Don't get me wrong - love my colour even if it's going grey - love the style and love the ficcare but when I look at my actual hair it reminds me of horse hair - like it's coarse, dull and sticky outy. It just doesn't look soft and shiney and it never will unless I take a shot indoors with the flash - and that is really just cheating
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6089/6107775373_d1c2ae5c1e.jpghttp://farm7.static.flickr.com/6185/6108323174_9d3991d446.jpg

On the upside, having texture like this means that it pretty much holds any style I need it to so that is a real bonus.

Sorry to rant but I'm having a down day where I'm wondering whether all this growing is all worth it for me when I can take a flat iron to it and have smooth, shiney hair that doesn't do all these things.

Lisa R
September 4th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Your hair is absolutely beautiful and to my eyes what I saw was something I think we all get or have. It just looked so normal to me if you didn't say what was bothering you I wouldn't have guessed!
I've got lots of bits that are short and sticking out on either side of my head that look like wings and the only option for me is to use a bobby pin on both sides.

If they are bothering you so much, I wonder if you wore a silky scarf tight over the front part of your hair at night whether that might tame them a bit by the next morning?

It might be getting more humid where you are at the moment and that might be why you're noticing them more? Just throwing out ideas!

I really can't see anything wrong and I think your hair is gorgeous and you shouldn't be worrying yourself over this!

UltraBella
September 4th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Julliams, I have them too !! A bit of aloe vera gel helps to tame mine down, but usually by mid-day they are everywhere again though.
My hair reminds me of horse hair too, I know exactly what you mean. That's why I loved my large barreled curling iron for so many years, it gave me that shine I wanted so badly. I still use it sometimes, but more often I use my Caruso. It feels so much softer and is much shiner after a nice warm steaming ;)

ingvild
September 4th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Your hair is gorgeous!!

I have them too. A lot of them, actually - I'm recovering from a shed - it looks really bad near my part, and especially at my crown. And they're so wiry, and kinky, and bend in all directions!! I found that smoothing them down with EVOO helped a bit.

My hair will never be silky soft either. My mother commented that it felt like hemp :p (but I know she likes it) that was after used tons of shampoo to get out salt water and chlorine, though, but it felt pretty soft to me. :D I wish it were a bit finer sometimes, but I'm pretty happy with it. Can't wait until it gets longer, maybe my updos will look a bit like yours!

julliams
September 4th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Aww thanks guys. You did make me feel a bit better about it all. I don't mean to sound like someone who is not thankful for what they have - I realise I'm very lucky in many ways.

Good to hear that I'm not alone with these sticky outy bits and coarse texture.

Lisa, I'm pretty sure the humidity has something to do with it. A silk headband just might work - I'll look into that.

Ultra Bella, I only wish I could get my hands on a Caruso. They just are not available here in Australia but I'll keep looking because I think it would work well for me too.

Ingvild, thanks for your compliment on my updos. I really need to learn more as I pretty much only do these two and cinnabuns.

Thanks again guys - I guess I'll push on to hip and decide if I'm going to put in layers at that point. Ultra Bella, I think your hair looks amazing at the length you have now and the layers are great. If they are done right, layers can really make the look.

julliams
September 4th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Found this article which makes the baby hairs look like something we want:

http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/07/07/you-know-those-baby-hairs-around-your-forehead-heres-how-to-play-them-up%E2%80%94or-if-you-must-tame-them-into-submission/

jojo
September 4th, 2011, 08:06 AM
My hair has these too but only round my hair line, they have never really bothered me. I think they add character to the style.

TrudieCat
September 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I have these too - and coarse hair that feels kind of like a horse's mane, as UltraBella described. I use a lot of conditioner as a leave-in to make it feel softer, but it does nothing for the halo. The only thing I ever found that tamed them was heat styling, either flat-ironing or curling with a large-barrel curling iron. I don't use these too much anymore so I'm trying to cultivate a more zen attitude about the halo and let it be what it is. :D Some days it bothers me more than others, and I end up going crazy with little barrettes and headbands and things trying to squash it all down.

redcelticcurls
September 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I have them too. I just ignore them. It's just part of having coarse hair.

newbeginning
September 4th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Another coarse hair owner here too. I get those hairs to and they drive me nuts. I sometimes use clips or a hairband to help hold them back. Other times I use a bit of coconut oil on dry hair and the rare timeI use gel if my hair isn't behaving at all.

proo
September 4th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Lately I've gotten the hang of the indonesian spiral bun - starts at the crown and ends up right at the hairline. It captures the little perimeter hairs against my scalp and they're much tamer after I take the whole thing down.

Wally
September 4th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Yours are tame compared to mine. All I can do is commiserate. When the sleek and shiny hair genes were handed out I wasn’t even in the line.

spidermom
September 4th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I like to pull the short bits around my forehead and temples down with a little gel on my fingers and give them sort of a twirl to create face-framing softness. For the fluff on top, if I am going out and want a more tamed look, I break out the heavy artillary, a.k.a. the styling wax, putty, or pomade. I get a dab on my finger and stroke over the top of my hair until all those bits are laid to rest. Natures Gate styling putty is my favorite because it's easy to comb through later. Similar products can be a bit too gluey and require rinsing before combing.

SilentGuardian
September 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I have the same thing. It took a while to accept that it is the way hair is supposed to be

flowerlovelong
September 4th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I have those around my ears really severe. I have learned to embrace them. It's much easier than being frustrated everyday.

julliams
September 4th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Yours are tame compared to mine. All I can do is commiserate. When the sleek and shiny hair genes were handed out I wasn’t even in the line.

Love this!!!

CurlyCap
September 4th, 2011, 10:26 PM
i don't know if this is what you wanted to hear....but I like them!

One thing that always makes me :confused: about straight hair is that it just lies there. It has it's own beauty, but I think I'm biased towards more "independent" hair.

I like your hair because it's clearly straight, but has some body and life to it. It doesn't look "dead". (Straight hairs: Don't kill me!)

LOL. I am biased because I'm a curly 3b/c frizzball through.

AND I LOVE COARSE HAIR. Thick strands that look like sewing thread. It looks so indestructible. Like your body built the aircraft carrier of hair. :cheese:

And yes, I think this largely because I have fine hair that looks like a baby's. Takes 20 strands for people to even notice it's there.

You have lovely hair!! Jealous!