PDA

View Full Version : News article I found interesting.

pes3108
September 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Thoughts? Opinions? And if I didn't post this link right, I'm sorry. I'm still new at this!!!

http://www.howlifeworks.com/a/a/?cid=7145bp&AG_ID=706

MiamiPineapple
September 3rd, 2011, 09:29 PM
Anytime I find a new product, I like to look up the product on Amazon and if 95% of the reviews are positive, I might give it a try. If not, usually I don't. There are 39 reviews for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kronos-Phyx-Intensive-Repair-Masque/dp/B001STAB1K/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1315106854&sr=8-16

I buy tons of stuff from Amazon, I think their reviews are usually pretty accurate and people tend to be honest. :)

Looks like the reviews for this product are unique. Some people think it really works, some think its a scam. I would focus on the reviews on the actual "product"

julierockhead
September 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
The ingredients of Phyx by Kronos are:

Water (Aqua), Behentrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-37, Phenylpropyldimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethiconol, Hydrolyzed Lupine Protein, Glycerin, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, Orbignya Speciosa Kernel Oil, Oryzanol, Tocopherols, Tocotrienols, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Betaine, South Sea Pearl Powder Extract, Brazilian Coral Powder Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Hexapeptide-11, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Acetyl Hexapeptide-3, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cudrania Tricuspidata (Mulberry) Bark Extract, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Lycium Chinensis (Chinese Matrimony Vine) Fruit Extract, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Prunus Mume (Ume) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Communis (Pear) Fruit Extract, Rubus Coreanus (Wild Strawberry) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Uuron Cha Ekisu) Leaf Extract, Crithmum Maritimum Extract, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Fullerenes, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Phytosphingosine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Urea, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Propylene Glycol Dibenzoate, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Butylene Glycol, Laureth-23, Laureth-4, Citric Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Steareth-2, Steareth-21, Stearic Acid, Carbomer, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Fragrance (Parfum), BHT, Disodium EDTA, Triethanolamine, Isohexadecane, Hexylene Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Limonene, Linalool.

'Cones and polyquats...I'm sticking with my coconut oil.;)

pes3108
September 3rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
The ingredients of Phyx by Kronos are:

Water (Aqua), Behentrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-37, Phenylpropyldimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethiconol, Hydrolyzed Lupine Protein, Glycerin, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, Orbignya Speciosa Kernel Oil, Oryzanol, Tocopherols, Tocotrienols, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Betaine, South Sea Pearl Powder Extract, Brazilian Coral Powder Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Hexapeptide-11, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Acetyl Hexapeptide-3, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cudrania Tricuspidata (Mulberry) Bark Extract, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Lycium Chinensis (Chinese Matrimony Vine) Fruit Extract, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Prunus Mume (Ume) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Communis (Pear) Fruit Extract, Rubus Coreanus (Wild Strawberry) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Uuron Cha Ekisu) Leaf Extract, Crithmum Maritimum Extract, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Fullerenes, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Phytosphingosine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Urea, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Propylene Glycol Dibenzoate, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Butylene Glycol, Laureth-23, Laureth-4, Citric Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Steareth-2, Steareth-21, Stearic Acid, Carbomer, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Fragrance (Parfum), BHT, Disodium EDTA, Triethanolamine, Isohexadecane, Hexylene Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Limonene, Linalool.

'Cones and polyquats...I'm sticking with my coconut oil.;)

OH WOW ... thats a lot of chemicals :eek:

Hotrox
September 3rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
One to avoid for sure, given the Amazon reviews :run:

Cassie 123
September 3rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
It isn't really a news article. It's just an ad. Everything on this "how life works" website is ads masquerading (badly) as articles.

julierockhead
September 3rd, 2011, 09:47 PM
Bwaaahahahaha! look-
http://www.dermstore.com/lp/730?utm_source=hlw&utm_medium=advertorial&utm_term=KR_Phyx_%2429.95_1377&utm_campaign=hlw_20110207
This stuff is one sale for $29.95...they claim it is worth $105.00 for four ounces of this jumped-up cone conditioner.
Modern day snake oil...

pes3108
September 3rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Bwaaahahahaha! look-
http://www.dermstore.com/lp/730?utm_source=hlw&utm_medium=advertorial&utm_term=KR_Phyx_%2429.95_1377&utm_campaign=hlw_20110207
This stuff is one sale for $29.95...they claim it is worth $105.00 for four ounces of this jumped-up cone conditioner.
Modern day snake oil...

hmm... and i think the lack of negative reviews is suspicious. a lot of times companies will pay big money to fill up with positive feedback.

Bonkers57
September 3rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
There is nothing - N O T H I N G that "repairs damage" except to cut off the damaged parts! There are some things that will smooth hair temporarily, but not permanently.

As the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Calaelen
September 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
As others have said...full of cones, chemicals, and many many things I find suspicious Pearl and Coral extracts, for one..is that even legal?

All in all it is full of hair coating ingredients that are pretty much guaranteed to make you hair appear nice, for a time, I'd love to see what build up of this would look like though..lol.

It's too bad, it had so many good things in it, why'd they have to go screw it up with modern day quick fixes that "fix"nothing?

lacefrost
September 3rd, 2011, 10:31 PM
Even if it were a magical product, why pay $105 for a product when you can just not blowdry, flat iron, dye, back comb and bleach?

julierockhead
September 3rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Even if it were a magical product, why pay $105 for a product when you can just not blowdry, flat iron, dye, back comb and bleach?

Yeah right?

Your hair is amazing. So beautiful and curly and flattering...my daughter's friend just got her curls chemically straightened, and I was careful to be respectful of her choice, but inside I was just cringing.:cry: Wish I could show her your pic and say "See? What you have naturally is AWESOME!"

Kyla
September 3rd, 2011, 11:42 PM
I just can't believe it. :/ It's way to expensive for me anyway, not to mention you get the same supposed results by actually taking care of your hair.

lacrymosa777
September 4th, 2011, 03:37 AM

Logic you say?..*GASP*....lol

lacrymosa777
September 4th, 2011, 03:40 AM
nothing wrong with cones........but this is highly suspicious for what it says it does plus the amazon reviews versus the site reviews

PurusNox
September 4th, 2011, 03:54 AM
The flawless positive reviews on the website definitely makes it seem like something's up. and $105!! Who would even pay that much!! :mad:

GRU
September 4th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I'd love to see what build up of this would look like though..lol.

No build-up issues at all with this product, b/c the only people who use it are the same ones who shampoo their hair every day with harsh sulfates! :rolleyes:

racrane
September 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM
It sounds suspicious to me. I'd rather pay for coconut oil than this stuff. I couldn't afford it anyway. Anyway, my hair turned amazing once I stopped all heat, even though it was occasional use. It makes sense...but people are so used to heat styling, they keep doing it.

Panth
September 4th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Never mind anything else, if it is indeed 'nanotechnology' as it claims, then I'm highly suspicious of it full stop... and now I'm about to sound like a hypochondriac 'fear the authorities' loon. Erm. Ah well.

Currently no one has to do any scientific research to determine if nanoparticles of a substance have the same properties as normal-sized particles do. However, it appears that nanoparticles do penetrate more than normal-sized ones ... which of course begs questions like 'do they have altered/increased side effects' and 'if they can penetrate my hair, can they penetrate my skin, get in my blood, etc.'

Never mind all that, one can get all the same effects (minus the 'instant' absorption and no mess on your pillow) with a heavy coconut oiling - right down to the miraculous, no-other-product-does absorption into the hair shaft.

LadyLongLocks
September 4th, 2011, 06:03 PM
After reading about the second ingredient"Behentrimonium chloride" Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behentrimonium_chloride) (first being water) I would be very skeptical. Just google the ingredients or search them in wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page).
When toxic and flammable are some explanations...this is enough to make me think twice.

AnnaJamila
September 4th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I WANT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:spitting:

GRU
September 5th, 2011, 07:53 AM
After reading about the second ingredient"Behentrimonium chloride" Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behentrimonium_chloride) (first being water) I would be very skeptical. Just google the ingredients or search them in wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page).
When toxic and flammable are some explanations...this is enough to make me think twice.

Actually, Behentrimonium Chloride is a common ingredient, found in conditioners such as Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship, Mane-n-Tail Olive Oil Complex, and Yes to Cucumbers.

Still doesn't mean I'd buy this snake-oil product, but the ingredients themselves are not dangerous in this formulation. Oodles of ingredients are flammable and/or toxic in large quantities in and of themselves, doesn't mean they are problematic in this instance. (Ever use butter or oil? Those are flammable.....)

bratz81
September 5th, 2011, 08:09 AM
it sounds like something I would have been fooled by and rushed out and bought before I discovered things like coconut oil, not heat styling and this website.
But the list of chemicals in it scares the daylights out of me!

Bonkers57
September 5th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I would never have rushed to buy this because I never had the scratch for this kind of thing! :laugh:

Nenyath
September 5th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Never mind anything else, if it is indeed 'nanotechnology' as it claims, then I'm highly suspicious of it full stop... and now I'm about to sound like a hypochondriac 'fear the authorities' loon. Erm. Ah well.

Currently no one has to do any scientific research to determine if nanoparticles of a substance have the same properties as normal-sized particles do. However, it appears that nanoparticles do penetrate more than normal-sized ones ... which of course begs questions like 'do they have altered/increased side effects' and 'if they can penetrate my hair, can they penetrate my skin, get in my blood, etc.'

Never mind all that, one can get all the same effects (minus the 'instant' absorption and no mess on your pillow) with a heavy coconut oiling - right down to the miraculous, no-other-product-does absorption into the hair shaft.

Yes it can, at least if you are to believe their own claims: " uses nano-technology to deliver ingredients deep into the structural core of the hair (scalp, follicle and shaft)"

I stopped when it said nano as well, rather safe than sorry! Much was used as miracle products back in the day that we wouldn't get near now! :)