PDA

View Full Version : unintended compliment!

handsclean
September 3rd, 2011, 09:04 PM
Today I was shoe shopping and I was having a good hair day- my second day hair was in nice ringlets which I had in a side ponytail. As I was checking out and about the leave the store, the cashier said to me- "Oh by the way! I was just wondering, did you curl your hair with a straightener or a curling iron?" And I said, "Actually my hair is just naturally curly like this so I didn't use either!" and she said that she wished hers would be naturally curly like mine :)

I just thought it was a cute story because a lot of people ask me if my hair is natural but it's not often that someone assumes that it's been heat-styled so it made me pretty confident for the rest of the day :) haha. Please share if something similar has happened to you too! A friend of mine who is naturally blonde always has people asking how she dyes it so I know there must be more stories out there like mine. :D

Ishje
September 4th, 2011, 12:03 AM
that is a nice compliment ^^

caiti42
September 4th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I once told a girl she had the loveliest hair I have even seen. She was walking in front of me in a shopping centre with long black super shiny hair and I said to her "excuse me but I just wanted to tell you how lovely your hair is". The smile on her face when I said that made me super happy for the day :)

WinterButterfly
September 4th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I was once at a dollar store sort of place. I was checking out and this older man had to tell me how neat it was that I had long hair. He said that not many young people grow out their hair. He seemed quite happy! It is nice to get compliments!

kanaka
September 4th, 2011, 02:34 AM
same experience for me tooo. Two girls asked me in a shopping mall "how is your hair so straight and silky? did u straighten your hair?" then i laughed and said "that is my natural hair".
that was a beautiful experience for me. Many such i experienced but when you described yours, this experience of mine just got into my head..

thanks for making me remember...

Its nice to receive compliments :)

Little_Bird
September 4th, 2011, 04:11 AM
People used to think my blond highlights were made in the salon too! I got that from my mother :D

kidari
September 4th, 2011, 04:32 AM
People often ask me if my hair is extensions, which is strange because it's not very long. I guess it could be because it grows fast and/or they think it's long or that I cut my hair very poorly and it's so mullet-like that it looks like extensions. I'm not sure if it's a compliment or not :confused:.

Sahar24
September 4th, 2011, 04:46 AM
My pupils once asked if I use extensions for length and volume - which made me happy. (Partly because I'd been wondering what they'd been whispering about all lesson!)

GRU
September 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Someone I knew once thought that my curls were all from a curling iron. This was back when I wore my hair down every single day (pre-LHC). Granted, my hair wasn't as long then as it is now, but it was probably BSL when curly at the time! :lol: (Who the hell has time to curl their ENTIRE HEAD every single morning???)

People just don't realize that curls do happen naturally, b/c almost everyone with curly hair straightens it these days, so the only curls anyone does see are usually heat-induced.

racrane
September 4th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I have people compliment me on my waves, which is nice. They're always surprised when I tell them it's my natural texture. On a similar note: it's so sad when I go to the gym and I see ladies heat styling their beautiful curly hair pin straight. I want to tell them "Stop!!!" But I can't. :(

embee
September 4th, 2011, 11:15 AM
My hair is always up so I only get updo comments. Most people have no clue how to work a hairstick! It's like a magic trick. I've showed one or two and they're just blown away. :D

Because I know how good it feels to have a hair compliment, I try to say something nice to other longhairs if their hair is in any kind of reasonable condition. Probably they're used to hearing the "give it to charity" and "you're too old" stuff which (as we know) gets depressing after a while.

ETA: I'm glad you got a nice comment. Your updo style sounds charming. I love ringlets.

lapelosa
September 4th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Compliments are wonderful! I do get people asking, every now and again, if my hair is real -- which I think counts.

Someone did tell me once that once you're past the age of 30, you're supposed to cut your hair short to look grown up and professional -- which made me cling to my hair all the more.

Carrie Ingalls
September 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I got asked once if I had extensions (my hair was past knee length at that time)...

Some of my favorite complements are kids drawings of me! Gotta love the adorableness of them and they are so honest and heartfelt.

luxepiggy
September 4th, 2011, 01:45 PM
People often ask me to recommend a good flat iron for them, or ask how I got my hair so perfectly straight. It is nice, isn't it? (^(oo)^)

archel
September 4th, 2011, 04:51 PM
My own sister thought I was coloring my gray, since she's nearly white headed and I'm older than her - but it was my natural color! I have no idea why she went grey before me, but she's always had much thicker, very coarse hair.

CurlyMopTop
September 5th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Someone at the local mall asked me if my curls were natural just the other day while out doing the back to school shopping thing. I thought it was cute, especially since I was having a bad hair day so pineappled it! Lol. Then she said that she wished she could get curls, even if with a curling iron. :)

Yame
September 5th, 2011, 09:47 AM
People are always surprised that I don't flat iron or even blow dry my hair at all. They are also surprised to hear that my hair doesn't take a lot of my time or any extra care whatsoever.

People always assume I must have to wash my hair everyday for half an hour with a ton of expensive shampoo, and then blow dry it straight for an hour with a ton of expensive leave-ins, just because it's longish.

In reality, all I do is wash once a week with cheap shampoo and conditioners and then let it air dry with nothing in it.

I tend to assume the same things about curly-haired people who have really nice curls, though. That's because if curlies use mainstream methods, their hair tends to not look as good OR to be a pain in the ass to look good. But using LHC methods, it seems like it isn't awfully hard to maintain gorgeous curls!