PDA

View Full Version : tiny trim bugging me

WinterButterfly
September 3rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
I have felt the need to trim my hair a tiny ammount for a few months, so I found a good self trim tutorial on youtube. I don't think I even took off half an inch, and even then it was mostly the random hairs that were sticking out from my mostly blunt ends. I barely notice the difference on where the hair falls on my back. I just have a few less tickles. But I haven't trimmed my hair in over a year. (Except trimming only splits) I feel like I did something terrible. The idea of losing even half an inch in length is unthinkable. I think I'm officially obsessed. Does anyone else feel this way after a tiny self trim? I feel so silly for feeling this way. I guess that I really love my hair. Cutting it feels like breaking a law.
:)

julierockhead
September 3rd, 2011, 03:42 PM
After all the stuff we learn here, trimming does seen sacreligious if you still have a length goal.:scissors::justy:

I wonder how the people who have reached their goal feel, when they trim to maintain?

Can you post the YouTube tutorial you used please?

Kathie
September 3rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Try and think of it more that you've done something nice for your hair. The ends are now healthy and blunt.
I dust more than I trim. I don’t notice a difference in length but the ends always feel great after.

battles
September 3rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Sometimes you have to take a step back to get where you'd like to be. :)

Little_Bird
September 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Oh I think it's normal for you to feel that way, especially if you haven't trimmed in a long time.

Don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong :) Trimming is nice once you find the balance between growing and keeping the ends how you like them.

If you don't notice a diference, I think there's nothing to worry about ^^

racrane
September 3rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
I know how you feel. I needed a trim a couple weeks ago because once I go to college, I don't get it cut for a whole year. I was so sad to lose the little I did. BUT I like my layers and cut, so I'm trying to think positive. :)

heartgoesboom
September 3rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
i hate trimming my own hair because i think it's not as neat and perfect

WinterButterfly
September 3rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
I know that the occasional trim is necessary. It does feel like sacrelige. I am not actually sure how long I want it. But I want it longer if it is possible. I love the look of fairy tale ends. But I don't think I'm ready for them yet. Not that a few wispy endsconstitute fairy tale ends... but I am afraid that i when it starts up that I will reach terminal length. I bet that's silly. But at the same time, I don't want to lose any length. If it is possible, I will grow my hair to knee length. But when I was 12, I got my first haircut. And it only reached to tbl. Granted that I didn't take the best care of it. And people 12 and under usually have a shorter terminal length than teens and adults. I always seem to feel guilty about trims. Go figure.

spidermom
September 4th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I came into LHC with a trimming habit, but influenced by the no trimmers, I did two separate one-year trials of growing without trimming. And each time my ends were so dried out and damaged by the end of a year that I ended up cutting just about the same amount that my hair had grown.

So I'm back to being a dedicated trimmer. Trimming is a GOOD thing; don't let anybody tell you different.

PurusNox
September 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Just today my aunt trimmed off not even half an inch, I couldn't even notice he difference yet it still felt like there was something missing.....Silly I know :')

Panth
September 4th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I came into LHC with a trimming habit, but influenced by the no trimmers, I did two separate one-year trials of growing without trimming. And each time my ends were so dried out and damaged by the end of a year that I ended up cutting just about the same amount that my hair had grown.

So I'm back to being a dedicated trimmer. Trimming is a GOOD thing; don't let anybody tell you different.

This!

(Well, at least for some people and some hairtypes.)

Trimming is not a bad thing. Basically, when trying to grow hair we are trying to maximise the retained hair length. Hair growth is determined by growth rate (e.g. per month) plus the time the hair follicle spends in anagen (i.e. growing phase - usually measured in years in humans). However, hair growth =/= increase in length because you also lose length off the bottom. That can be by trimming or by breakage.

Now, for some people (like Spidermom) trimming can reduce the amount of loss via breakage, to the extent that less hair in total is lost than would have been without the trim. Thus, trimming (in a controlled and calculated manner) can actually increase the rate at which your hair length increases.

So, don't feel guilty!

spidermom
September 4th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Exactly Panth! In a year with small trims (about 1/2 inch every 3 months), I gain about 5-1/2 inches of length that I get to keep.

In a year with no trims, I gain approximately 7 inches in length, but the ends are so snarly and damaged that I end up cutting back 6 or 7 inches just to be able to get a comb through my hair.

The math seems really weird, I know, but that's how it averages out.

Kaelee
September 4th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I'm a trimmer, and also a cone-head (LHC heretic!!! hehehe) I don't do the "six week" trim.. I do the "ends are starting to show splits/damage or feel funky" trim.

I got trimmed today and it was FOURTEEN weeks. My stylist couldn't believe the lack of damage. She said it's amazing my hair is in this condition having not been trimmed for fourteen weeks. She didn't believe me when I said I wore my hair in a ponytail, even to bed. :D

Impulsive
September 4th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I feel this way after S&D. I always only remove the split ends of a few strands, but I still can't help feeling I'm making my hair much too short. And as for a trim... I'm trying to even up layers by taking off a little less than an inch every 6 months. The time for my trim is approaching, and I'm anxious about it because I know I'll be losing healthy growth... I've found these small trims go easier if I keep in mind the positive results: no split ends and a fuller hemline/fewer layers! Just keep thinking good thoughts.

WinterButterfly
September 4th, 2011, 06:10 PM
It is good to know that I'm not the only one who feels guilty or freaked out over just taking an itty bitty bit off the ends. I want a hemline that is straight across the bottom. If it gets a little thinner, it is fine. But I am not aiming for a u shape or a v shape. So that is part of what my trim was about. I do think that u's and v's do look good. But I like the straight cut for me for now. I have been doing this cut for about 2 years now. Not that I have really cut my hair in much in 2 years. And it had been over a year since the last cut. I have always wanter super long flowing hair. I have this beautiful image of an elfen maiden bathing in the moonlight. And all you see is the soft light reflecting off her thick long black hair. When I think of long hair, I think of an almost otherworld beauty.
I think I got off topic!

jojo
September 4th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I never feel guilty or sad about trimming as I see it as necessarily to have healthy looking hair. I know 0.5" seems a lot but it isn't really just 4 weeks growth. I micro trim every 8 weeks and its made the world of difference to my hair. Although I do like the look of fairy tail ends and might go down this route when my hair is longer.

luthein
September 4th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I have always wanter super long flowing hair. I have this beautiful image of an elfen maiden bathing in the moonlight. And all you see is the soft light reflecting off her thick long black hair. When I think of long hair, I think of an almost otherworld beauty.

:) I agree with you on that! Also, you can keep larger trims away if you search-and-destroy the split ends/damage throughout your hair.

Pantha
September 5th, 2011, 03:21 PM
At least when you trim yourself you can control how much you do trim off, so don't feel guilty feel glad you only lost as much as you wanted too.

If you do still feel gulity about a half inch tiny trim, why not try trimming less length but more often that way you won't seem to be loosing as much but can still maintain a tidy hemline and healthy ends.

MonaLisa
September 5th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Since I started self trims, i feel really happy afterwards! hair feels great and never appears shorter even. I do as spidermom 1/2 inch -1 inch if needed every 3 months. And it's growing, i have it written down! :D

I felt really bad about trimming when i was going to different stylists...Always going backwards...wasn't lucky to find the right person..so eventually stopped trying.

as for no trimming - i dont see that as an option. my hair is fine and fragile...

nobeltonya
September 5th, 2011, 04:07 PM
You have to be careful not to keep looking at it lol I do that and find reasons to keep trimming.. :P The last time I trimmed it, I kept looking at it different ways, and it kept looking uneven so I kept trimming it.

Maktub
September 5th, 2011, 04:19 PM
We'll I'm one of those who loves trimming, having blunt ends and feeling them freshly trimmed !

I have to be patient not to trimm too often ! So I guess I have the opposite problem ! :P

heartgoesboom
September 7th, 2011, 11:15 AM
i keep doing that too! =X

WinterButterfly
September 7th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Now that a little time has passed, I don't feel so uneasy. I suppose that scizors near my hair is a bit uncomfortable. I'm feeling like my hair is going to catch up to the itty bitty trim. I know I didn't really have splits. But it was so I don't get a thin hemline just yet. And if I did it for what I find astetically pleasing, then the trim filled a purpose. Plus the fact that I probably won't need a trim for a year and a half if I make sure to search for splits and remove those regularly. So thanks for encouragment. I never used to have hair goals. So cutting it wasn't a big deal then. But with goals, every trim almost seems a sin. But they can be useful to help us fill our goals. Splits are not the only valid reason for a trim. :)