PDA

View Full Version : New here

thespinnychick@
September 3rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hi everyone! I'm glad I found this site.

I have never thought about growing my hair before. I've always just gone through phases that I didn't cut it for a while.

Then, 3 years ago, 2/3 of my hair fell out. I always had very thick hair. It' medium fine, but there's always been lots of it. When I was a kid, hairdressers would say "you have enough hair for three people!"

I went to several doctors who were less than helpful. They said things like *shrug* "there's not much you can do about it" and "it's probably genetic". I practically had to force a dr at gun point to do a thyroid test on me (which came back fine).

Then I saw a doc who actually got curious about why it was falling out. Apparently I had a fungus infection. I had guessed that it was some kind of infection or irritation adn I had tried tea tree oil, oregano oil, acv rinces, white vinegar rinses with very little result. The doc said "use selsun blue and see what happens". So I did. My hair is somewhat grown back now after 8 months of selsun blue. I have a halo still of new hair. This is 3 years later.

Now, all of a sudden, my hair is much more important to me than it has been before. I'll get a pic up soon, but it's bra strap length, dyed black and has betty page bangs.

I've been thinking of finishing up the bottle of selsun blue and switching out to organic shampoos. My guess is that continuing to use harsh chemicals on my hair all the time may set it up to be more prone to fungal infections by messing with the ph. I could be totally wrong. I'm hoping that switching to less harsh ways of keeping my hair will make it lovely.

So far I'm washing with the selsun blue 2-3 times a week, then washing with organics the other times. My hair is very oily and missing a day of washing is brutal. I turn into a grease ball. I'm curious to see if I am less greasy when I stop using such harsh chemicals.

And I want to get it down to my waist. :eyebrows:

I dye it black, and up until recently used permanent dyes. I've been shown the error of my ways and now use the 10 minute touch up. I'm sure everyone will tell me to go to a hairdresser, but I honestly don't have the $100 or so it would cost, nor can I justify that kind of cost on hair. Maybe once it's long, I'll change my tune. :)

So, that's me, that's my hair. I look forward to meeting all of you and learning!:)

luxepiggy
September 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Welcome! I think you'll actually find that very few people here will tell you to go to a hairdresser (^(oo)^)v

I dye my hair black also, but I use deposit-only dye to avoid damage (I'm at hip length). Perhaps that's something to consider?

kanaka
September 3rd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Welcome to LHC! :)

thespinnychick@
October 1st, 2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks! Deposit only dye? Is that the same as semi-permanent?