PDA

View Full Version : Got my Hair Done!

AspenSong
September 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
At the Colorado State Fair yesterday - Nothing super fancy, but this thing caught my eye because it gives you that Crown braid sort of "look", and it's just wrapping the hair around the ring that sits on your crown....So I got my hair done AND a new toy!! (Also got an acrylic hairstick as well!)

http://www.hairhalos.net/

And my hair yesterday. Super excited to try to do it! I tend to shy away from new styles just because I'm so gentle with all my super fine hair and don't want to damage it in the least...But this held like a rock with one bobby pin and was light and great all day at the Fair for 9 hours! So I'm going to attempt it again today.....but with oodles of coconut oil in it! Yesterday I'd only lightly oiled before I bunned it and we left, so it was just a tangly mess when I took it out last night, so I doused it in oil and went to bed!

http://i51.tinypic.com/3179t93.jpg

Anyone else have one of these? If so, is it very damaging to wear much?

Gabriel
September 3rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Very cool! I've never seen those before. :) Let us know how it goes styling it yourself using that and if it's complicated.

AspenSong
September 3rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
I will! The lady did my hair in about 5 minutes I'd say. It was super quick, and she said after a few times doing it yourself, you start to get the hang of it and it's simple once you know what to do. :)

pepperminttea
September 3rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Ooh, I've never seen anything like this before; it looks lovely in your hair. How does it work exactly? :)

MiamiPineapple
September 3rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
This is so unique and pretty. You must get a lot of compliments. I also have never seen before!

kyandii
September 3rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
Oooh. These look good, I want one.

Aerin
September 3rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
That is super cool. I wonder how it looks for everyday wear?

AspenSong
September 3rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys. I just attempted putting it up myself...it's not super hard, I think you just have to get some practice and finesse in to be able to do it well and get it tight firm.
What you do is lay the ring on the crown of your head and get a section of hair, twist it and wrap it over and under the ring, then you pick up another section, add it to the first one, twist and wrap....you do that over and over, adding your hair all the way around until the end and you just wrap around the ring where you can or tuck the tail end under the ring. Mine today is not nearly as neat as hers yesterday, but it'll do! :) Gives me a break from my Nautilus bun with a Flexi 8 routine!

I got several compliments yesterday...so we'll see how today goes. :) Probably not as well since my beginner version is a lot more messy. lol. But I've got an event to photograph today, so I put a few tiny rose flowers in around it, so it's "fancy".
It really was great to wear yesterday, walking around in 90-some degree heat, for 9 hours. It didn't budge, it's light...very nice. So we'll see how it goes!

kanaka
September 3rd, 2011, 12:51 PM
It looks lovely and it suits you well. awesome :)

Macaroni
September 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Très cool :)

ladonna
September 3rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
Yes I do that to my kids hair and was doing mine (before I cut mine off), it gives no heat curls/beach waves

ETA When I was doing it to my hair it was really damaged like in my avatar pic, but this hairdo would tame and soften my hair making it look healthy. I wish I new how to post pics to show you how it made my hair look awazing.

Lunnafindel
September 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
That is really cool. I wonder if it would work on much longer hair?
A couple questions:
What's it made out of? Is it firm or floppy?
Where do you start it on your head? (front? behind the ear? back?)
What do you do with the tail? (did you have a tail?)

embee
September 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
That looks very nice! I bet it is horrid with very long hair though - I can just imagine the tangles I'd end up with. Sigh. Because that's a look, that halo/crown, that I *really* like!

CrystalStar
September 3rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
That looks really complicated! How long did it take to have done? :) I always think those tightly braided hairstyles must be so hard to learn..

Fairy tale
September 3rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
This looks really neat in your hair I am interested. Do you know the brand? or Have any idea where we could find this to buy/learn more? even just what it is called so I can look it up...

Kibeth
September 3rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
That looks really neat. Once you get it down, would you mind posting progress pictures? I don't quite grasp how it's done.

AlabasterAlice
September 3rd, 2011, 08:54 PM
I've gotten them done before. My only issue is that it gives me a headache. :/

AspenSong
September 3rd, 2011, 10:52 PM
That is really cool. I wonder if it would work on much longer hair?
A couple questions:
What's it made out of? Is it firm or floppy?
Where do you start it on your head? (front? behind the ear? back?)
What do you do with the tail? (did you have a tail?)

Well mine is currently at my waist...so I think with patience anyone could probably do it!

As far as I can tell, it's a semi firm, hollow tubing -I'm guessing plastic, then covered in the material. It holds it's shape, but it is a bit flexible.

She showed me to do it, starting at the front of the hair. So today when I did it, I started right with my bangs I'm growing out, and went around clockwise.

With the bit of tail I had left, I wrapped it as much around the hoop as I could a couple of extra times (it's hard since the hoop once you get to the end, is pretty much looped down to your head!) and I had about 7 inches of "tail" and I just tucked it back under the hoop. You couldn't see it, and it went nowhere. I think even if you had longer or thicker hair, you could easily tuck it under and around and it'd look fine!

AspenSong
September 3rd, 2011, 10:54 PM
That looks very nice! I bet it is horrid with very long hair though - I can just imagine the tangles I'd end up with. Sigh. Because that's a look, that halo/crown, that I *really* like!

Ya know, Today...I had a LOT of coconut oil in my hair and I did it, and I just took my time (took me about 10-15 minutes, going slowly) and brushed each section as I did it and it went fine and wasn't tangled when I took it out! Which is great, because like you...I love the crown styles like this, but figured I'd never be able to do one because I'm braid-stupid. lol

AspenSong
September 3rd, 2011, 10:55 PM
That looks really complicated! How long did it take to have done? :) I always think those tightly braided hairstyles must be so hard to learn..

It took the lady who did it yesterday, about 5-7 minutes. It took me today, about 10-15, going slowly and making sure my hair wasn't tangled as I twisted and tucked it around the hoop. So not bad at all!

AspenSong
September 3rd, 2011, 10:57 PM
This looks really neat in your hair I am interested. Do you know the brand? or Have any idea where we could find this to buy/learn more? even just what it is called so I can look it up...

This is one place with them - Hair Halos... http://www.hairhalos.net/

I'm sure you can find them elsewhere though!

AspenSong
September 3rd, 2011, 10:59 PM
That looks really neat. Once you get it down, would you mind posting progress pictures? I don't quite grasp how it's done.

Definitely! I didn't get it either, until I was taking it down last night! lol.
Yeah, when I do it again I'll get hubbys help and take some photos! :)

What I love, is I think you could do different things with this, like maybe braid the hair instead of just twisting it and wrapping it, or if you had some of the amazingly thick hair (which I sadly lack to no end!) you could do the crown and leave the middle section of hair loose!

GRU
September 4th, 2011, 09:11 AM
If someone wanted to just try this out to see how it works, I bet you could wrap ribbon around a small embroidery hoop and try with that. Not as comfortable as something flexible that will conform better to the skull's shape, but at least give you an idea of how it works...

MandyBeth
September 4th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I think we need one here for the 6 yo princess.

GRU
September 4th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Okay, so I did some digging, and I found these things two other places. Well, this thing exactly at one place (priced 75% less than the other site), and something that can do the same thing but isn't just a hoop.

The Hair Braiding Halo (http://www.toyblowgun.com/hair_braiding_style.html) comes with these instructions (http://www.toyblowgun.com/braiding_instructions.html).

The Twist and Tie (http://www.twistandtie.com/default.asp) is a wire covered with ribbon that can be shaped different ways, including making a hair halo (http://www.twistandtie.com/instructions.asp).

GRU
September 4th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I think we need one here for the 6 yo princess.

This 42yo princess wants one tooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I wish I new how to post pics to show you how it made my hair look awazing.

Easiest way to post pictures is to upload them to a site like Photobucket, then just copy/paste the IMG tag from Photobucket into your post.

MandyBeth
September 4th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Hey, no braiding needed, you could manage on your own GRU!

oktobergoud
September 4th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Oooh this is different... I like different :D

GRU
September 4th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hey, no braiding needed, you could manage on your own GRU!

That is *exactly* what I was thinking, MB! :thumbsup:

spidermom
September 4th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I do a similar style with a long, narrow scarf rope-braided in (you can see it in my "tames the web" album).