PDA

View Full Version : Investment of time and $ is worth it for me.

julierockhead
September 3rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
O.K. LHC, I'm in.

I have bought:

- unrefined coconut oil
- cone free condishes for CO washing
- henna
- color oops
- clarifying shampoo
- biotin
- MSM
- pure aloe gel

Have to get:
- honey
- heat cap
- rose water
- castor oil
- spray bottles
- avocado oil
- broccoli oil
- rosemary EO
- distilled water
- wood comb
- boar bristle brush
- so MANY hairtoys bookmarked!

I am committed to:
- CO washing and scalp massage
- overnight deep moisture conditioning at least once a week
- CAREFULLY using henna to get my dream red
- increasing my growth rate from 3/4" - 1" per month (yes I know I'm lucky, but let's see how much growth I can get if I actually try!)
- no trims

I would like to:
- find another newbie buddy or two to share my new hobby with:hifive:
- find a hair mentor
- join or start a APL to BSL mini-goal thread
- join or start a saving-my-money-for-hairtoys-until-I-reach a certain length or particular date like Christmas

What else do you all suggest?

longcurlygirl<3
September 3rd, 2011, 09:12 AM
nothing really you got it all down :D

Yame
September 3rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
I would suggest that you don't try so many new things at once...

Merewen
September 3rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
I agree with Yame. You'll never know what is working and what isn't if you change everything at once. I know it's hard when you are first starting out and there's all this awesome new stuff to try (I had trouble too!), but trying ONE new thing every two weeks will let you see what each individual change is doing to your hair.

Good luck! It sounds like you are really ready. :)

CC-Bale
September 3rd, 2011, 09:58 AM
I'm a Newbie. I'm only trying a couple so far too.

racrane
September 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
I agree. You have tons of things that have you set for a while, but introduce a couple things at a time. For example, I joined in April. I started CWC and no heat. A couple months later I introduced CO to my routine, mixing it up with CWC. A month ago I started coconut oil. All this time, I have been experimenting with new styles with stuff I already have - scrunchies, the hair stick I do have, etc. I'll probably introduce henna next year if I still want to be a redhead, but right now, I'm all about the oils. :D

I'm glad you're here and have fun playing!

julierockhead
September 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM
Oh - not starting all this at once right now lol! I have been co-washing for months, deep conditioning for a few weeks, all I'm really starting new soon is SMT and color removal with color oops in preparation for henna, which I'm not planning to do for a few weeks yet. The vitamns won't be here for a week, and they will be an addition to the multivitamins, iron and calcium I already take. So I'm not jumping in TODAY with both feet, it just seems like that from my initial post.:shocked:

Lianna
September 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
A lot of things suggested here are overpriced and not worthed to me. Shampoo, conditioner and olive oil is enough for me. Castor oil for scalp if I want faster growth. For hair toys I either buy something that looks good/well-made but are still cheap (if shopping online), but I have local options with affordable prices.

I've bought some more expensive things because of this site and regret it, and what might be expensive to some might not be to others. My "biggest investiment" was flexis, I like them, they look unique and can be used on damp hair, but they're not that cheap to me, and I don't buy a lot at once. That would be my first LHC oriented purchase, all the hair care/products I needed I already had. Honestly, I just came here looking for faster growth solutions, and I'm pleased with what I learned. Second was miconazole nitrate (I took a while before I actually bought it, or would be first), third, castor oil, which made me give up MN. I knew about castor oil before but didn't really believe it at first (I actually took the step to buy based on another forum, but we have a thread too).

julierockhead
September 3rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
A lot of things suggested here are overpriced and not worthed to me. Shampoo, conditioner and olive oil is enough for me. Castor oil for scalp if I want faster growth. For hair toys I either buy something that looks good/well-made but are still cheap (if shopping online), but I have local options with affordable prices.

I've bought some more expensive things because of this site and regret it, and what might be expensive to some might not be to others. My "biggest investiment" was flexis, I like them, they look unique and can be used on damp hair, but they're not that cheap to me, and I don't buy a lot at once. That would be my first LHC oriented purchase, all the hair care/products I needed I already had. Honestly, I just came here looking for faster growth solutions, and I'm pleased with what I learned. Second was miconazole nitrate (I took a while before I actually bought it, or would be first), third, castor oil, which made me give up MN. I knew about castor oil before but didn't really believe it at first (I actually took the step to buy based on another forum, but we have a thread too).

Thank you. I was interested in castor oil also. How much has it helped?

kidari
September 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
Before joining LHC I had already been discovering and practicing a lot of LHC-like hair care on my own. I had stopped heat styling and trimmed my own hair. I already was oiling with coconut oil, avoiding harsh shampoos, using my BBB, and wearing my hair up a lot. However, LHC has made me stop my use of hairspays and mousse, learn new updos and influenced me to use more natural products. My first purchases since joining were pure aloe vera gel, shea butter, distilled water, and V05 conditioner.

Impulsive
September 3rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
It's kind of hard to recall the first purchase that was influenced by LHC since I bought a lot of things at once and some things I had already been unknowingly doing. I picked sls free shampoo, because that's the first major thing that stands out in my mind. It worked for my hair and I liked it a lot, but it was expensive and I've found that CO works better.

But just because something works for me doesn't mean it will work for you. I'd recommend slowing down and waiting a few weeks before trying anymore substances in your hair and then only adding one. If you're impatient to try something new, I suggest tackling a new up-do or two. Since even the more simple styles require practice, that should occupy you for awhile.

AnqeIicDemise
September 3rd, 2011, 11:32 PM
The coconut oil is amazing. I just can't use it during the summer (which is now) as it is just a tad too heavy. It is GREAT in the winter as I use it as an all-body lotion too.

I use it in my cooking as well, so its worth the investment.

Vitamins: since it affects my whole body and every single part of me benefits from this, its worth the investment too. For once, I am glad my vanity can kick in with such a force. It was my nail brittleness and desire for long hair that took me to the doctor. I found I had an uncontrolled case of hypothyroidism. :D I feel 100% better today than I did six months ago.

Lianna
September 3rd, 2011, 11:47 PM
Thank you. I was interested in castor oil also. How much has it helped?

From my natural 0.6 inch a month to 0.79. :) Some people get more though.

elbow chic
September 4th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Oh, I have tried several things on LHC's collective advice. Coconut oil, a BBB, olive oil, hair sticks, SLS-free products, etc.

The one that I think really helped was my seamless comb. I'd been using a fairly grody nubby bristle brush before LHC.

The comb is smooth and a joy to use every day.

If my ends seem particularly dry, I do use a bit of olive oil, but I have not slathered my head in a small villages' worth of calories in quite some time. :laugh:

kanaka
September 4th, 2011, 12:24 AM
My first purchase was both multivitamins and biotin before joining in LHC, when i was secretly viewing the forums :D

Just want to give them a try, so bought them after considering the reviews here. I am using them at present :)

i am well aware of all those oils before knowing LHC(coconut,olive,mustard,almond and castor)

The only difference i need to make now is to get rid of SLS having shampoos. i am going to switch soon :cool:

Catlover
September 4th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I had been using some of the LHC recommendations before even viewing this wonderful site :)
I had been using and still using henna, occasional oiling - with whatever was on hand in the kitchen. Always used a wide tooth comb

Since being a LHCer I have:- stopped using all SLS, and con containing products;
Started - Only CO wash, with very occasional poo washings;
Coconut oil;
Shea butter
ACV rinses
biotin
head massages

My hair is feeling and looking much healthier - it is my new hobby lol. :)

PrincessBob
September 4th, 2011, 02:05 AM
That's a hair accessory there, Bob.
This pair (http://www.etsy.com/transaction/31174691) of Pacific Mercantile sticks. <3

Aveyronnaise
September 4th, 2011, 02:22 AM
For me the first thing that I did that made a big difference was cutting out SLS , or actually any sulfates .I didn't realize it but they were absolutely killing my scalp, flake city, and they dried out my hair too much to tell the truth.

PurusNox
September 4th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Thanks to LHC I have given up on using any kind of heat, and my first purchase was a nice wooden BBB which is absolutely brilliant at distributing my natural hair oils to all parts of my hair :)

Ishje
September 4th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I knew about oils and cones and sls before I signed up here.
but I did not know about Nightblooming Pancea, so I think that is the only thing I bought because of LHC :)
the others, I was allready addicted to :p

Rosetta
September 4th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I can't remember if my first "LHC-effected" purchase was cone-free conditioner or sulfate-free shampoo, one of those anyway (with henna, oils etc. I was familiar from long before, and never really used heat-styling); but the funny thing is, I have since found out how much my hair loves cones and sulfate shampoos... :D

Carolyn
September 4th, 2011, 05:03 AM
It's been so long ago! I remember going to Von Maur's in Des Moines one weekend and buying 2 Ficcare beak clips and my MP brush. I am still using all 3. I can't remember if that was just before or just after trying AO products. Huge fiasco.

julierockhead
September 4th, 2011, 09:15 AM
It's been so long ago! I remember going to Von Maur's in Des Moines one weekend and buying 2 Ficcare beak clips and my MP brush. I am still using all 3. I can't remember if that was just before or just after trying AO products. Huge fiasco.

Von Maur's, you say?:eyebrows: There is one near me and I have their store credit card, which is awesome because they do not charge any interest...so I could buy Ficcares and pay for them over time without financial penalty. How INTERESTING (laughs maniacally).

hs_atreides
September 4th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I read about coconut oil on other sites just before joining LHC. I recently purchased a chelating clarifying shampoo after reading a great article here. The hair felt amazing!

Carolyn
September 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Von Maur's, you say?:eyebrows: There is one near me and I have their store credit card, which is awesome because they do not charge any interest...so I could buy Ficcares and pay for them over time without financial penalty. How INTERESTING (laughs maniacally).I hate to burst your bubble. My purchases were made about 10-11 years ago. We were enabling each other at Jennifer Bahney's LHL site at the time. Von Maur's no longer carries Ficcares or MP brushes :( I've shopped VM in IA, NE, IN, and MI and both have disappeared. I've even asked if it was just the larger stores that stocked them but Ficcare and Mason Pearson were not in their inventory at any VM store. Nordstoms carries a limited selection of Ficcares. I'm not sure about the MP's. But Nordies does not have VM's wonderful no interest store charge accounts.

julierockhead
September 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I read about coconut oil on other sites just before joining LHC. I recently purchased a chelating clarifying shampoo after reading a great article here. The hair felt amazing!

OO! What brand?

georgia_peach
September 4th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Shampoo bars (ie. SLS free shampoo) were my first informed purchase. But also coconut oil and hair toys are near seconds.

julierockhead
September 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I hate to burst your bubble. My purchases were made about 10-11 years ago. We were enabling each other at Jennifer Bahney's LHL site at the time. Von Maur's no longer carries Ficcares or MP brushes :( I've shopped VM in IA, NE, IN, and MI and both have disappeared. I've even asked if it was just the larger stores that stocked them but Ficcare and Mason Pearson were not in their inventory at any VM store. Nordstoms carries a limited selection of Ficcares. I'm not sure about the MP's. But Nordies does not have VM's wonderful no interest store charge accounts.
Aw damn! Thanks for saving me a trip, though, much appreciated.