PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help

Billie Jo
September 3rd, 2011, 05:20 AM
I am fairly new to the boards still but I need some guidance.

I have always had pretty thin hair that sheds a good deal. But in the the last few weeks my hair has suddenly started to REALLY fall out. Like a Fist FULL in the shower EVERY time. I try to gently comb out my hair just before getting into the shower and I am losing about the same as always that way.

I have a few other symptoms that may possibly point to a thyroid issue and I have an appointment scheduled. But I would like some opinions on what else I should be looking for/at.

Thank you in Advance!

Billie Jo
September 3rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
Anyone? Please?:pray:

YepLilly
September 3rd, 2011, 08:09 AM
I was going to suggest going to the doctor, but you already have that under control :) If there are other symptoms that point to thyroid issues then that's a probable cause.

Hair also tends to break a lot when there's an excess of protein or moisture. Also the way you handle your hair, if you wash it or brush it really roughly it may lead to breakage.

What washing method do you use? what kind of shampoos, conditioners? Additional info may help a bit. But going to the doctor is a good first step. Good luck!

Billie Jo
September 3rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
I have been only using the Suave Conditioners and shampoos. I have been doing the Condition Wash Condition but several months but haven't had time to branch and test any other methods.

I live in Okinawa Japan and it is a semi tropical region and we are still in full summer here. LOTS of humidity (which does NOT help my frizzies LOL) and lots of wind to whip things around. I try to keep my hair pulled back (usually just a twist with a clip) so that it isn't getting quite so torn at by the wind.

MsBubbles
September 3rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
Have the doc check for anemia, too. I am hypothyroid and prone to anemia. If I forget my meds for a week I get a shed about 4 months later. Just going through one right now. My sympathies!

racrane
September 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Yes, check for anemia. I had anemia a year ago and I lose a lot of hair in the shower, too. Once I got my iron intake back up, though, my hair went back to normal. So, I'm guessing as long as you're gentle on your hair, your hair loss is probably medical.

Madora
September 3rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, by all means, have a full blood panel worked up.

After you've received the results and have spoken with your physician, if you're still having problems, make an appointment with a trichologist (a hair doctor) and see if s/he can point you in the right direction.

Diet plays a very important role in your overall hair health so make sure you're eating healthy and drinking plenty of water.

Good luck! (I had a very bad time with anemia several years ago and urge you to make sure that anemia is not causing the problem. It could be a thyroid issue also).

Billie Jo
September 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
We are military stationed overseas so nothing like a trichologist here. I have to make do with whatever I can get out of my regular Medical Doctors.

I eat an extremely healthy diet (for the most part LOL) and I drink a ton of water during the day.