PDA

View Full Version : Can someone talk to me about layers?

trillian
September 3rd, 2011, 05:17 AM
Hi folks -

I hate to admit it, but I am getting pretty tired of my hair. It's one length, blunt cut, just above my waist - it's probably worth noting that I'm about 6 ft tall. I think my problem is that I have a long face, and tend to wear vintage clothes, so I kinda look like a time machine refuge from the the 1970s - which is not necessarily a bad thing! But I think I need a change.

Rather than doing a drastically short cut - which I've been considering as well, I've been thinking about having layers cut in my hair. I've never had layers! I know a lot of people are unhappy with growing out their layers, but what types of hair look best with layers? Would it really help soften my look up? Would long layers, work with updos, and still accomplish what I'm trying to do here?

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

kamikaze hair
September 3rd, 2011, 05:34 AM
well i'm not sure about others but i can tell you about my experiences. I have naturally wavy/curly hair. So it loves layers. I mean absolutely loves them, it really enhances my curl and i have bouncier and wavier curls and waves because the hair is not so weighed down and has room for the natural movement. Nevertheless i want to grow out my layers now because i've had them for so long, and now i'm striving to grow my hair to classic length, and i want to have hair that does not taper when i do braids. Your hair will taper when you do certain hairdos, but it depends on how many layers you get, and what style of cut. I have had my hair long before without layers, and i lose alot of my natural movement but this is actually what i want right now. But i have loved having my layers in cause they look awesome with my texture, when my hair is down. It gives hair that nice sort of flowing romantic look. It depends on what your going for. I suppose you could maybe consider starting off with only a few layers, and nothing to drastic, see if you like that. You could always have some more put in later on down the track. your hair will feel lighter if you do get them done. I'm sure others will be able to give you some more advice, and hopefully others who have the same hair type as you can offer more insight as to how your hair will look and feel if you were to go for it.

Lilli
September 3rd, 2011, 05:40 AM
I don't think layers would be a good idea for your hair b/c your hair is straight. It will still hang straight, and the layers will just look like damage. Rather than cut it, why not do some rag curls or something to make it look different?

ETA: I have very similar hair and have had layers, so this is the voice of experience talking. The layers won't flip or move or do anything on such straight hair.

kamikaze hair
September 3rd, 2011, 05:50 AM
i agree with lilli, unless your intention was to do a complete change of hairstyle, with piecey layers and turning it into a "trendy" sort of hairdo that can look cool on straight hair. But if thats not the sort of do you then i would agree and experiment with hairdos, braid waves and rag curls to give you a bit of difference.

Gypsygirl
September 3rd, 2011, 05:51 AM
I have long layers and absolutely love them- but I am only 5'3" AND I am maintaining waist length. So...if you are very tall AND you want to grow your hair a lot longer than waist, then layers might not work for you too well. It also depends on how much hair you have, though. My hair is very thick which is another reason why layers work for me. Basically you don't want the longest (bottom) layer to be too thin and whispy.

I think if I were you I'd give layers a chance...you can still go shorter if you end up hating them. Start with two very long layers...and if you like what they do for your hair you can (but might not want/have to) get more or more obvious ones.

Hope that helps...

Edit...we have the same hair type. I tend to braid my hair when it is wet the night before and then sleep on it but the layers look ok when I don't braid or curl as well. They bring out the s/body waves I have and that were pretty much invisible when I still had all one length hair in my early 20s because my hair was so heavy.

racrane
September 3rd, 2011, 08:12 AM
I have wave hair so I really like layers. It's obnoxious that my braids don't turn out so nice, but for now, at APL+, I want them in my hair. I personally think straight hair doesn't look so good with layers, unless, as someone said before, you want to look trendy. But maybe you could get your bangs trimmed or something? I don't know, but that is a way to mix things up.

Eternal.Fiend
September 3rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
I've got straight hair and I've had layers for the past five years, although I have kept my hair between SHL and APL for that time. I currently have BSL length hair, with my shortest layer being just APL. For me, they work in updos and everything, just you will need to use lots of bobby pins if you want a cleaner look, because they do tend to stick out.

When my hair was shorter, they did add a lot of movement into my hair, but don't expect that unless you get some shorter layers in. I think that long layers could work, with iii you won't have to worry too much about the ends beginning to look thin.

The problem I've had in that past is hairdressers' interpretation of what you are asking them when it comes to layers. With me, it's always been with their idea of the length of the layers, so that will come with finding a good hairstylist (something I still haven't done), maybe ask a friend that has layers in her hair where she goes?

But if you want to change you look up, but don't want to risk your blunt cut, you could always have a frings cut in (like suggested) or just some layers around the front of your hair to soften up your look without it being a little drastic.

Hope this helps! :)

UltraBella
September 3rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
I love layers ! I think they are a good option for you to consider. I will be honest, I am on my smart phone, in the mountains, so I will write a more detailed response when I get home later. This little screen is killing me !

CC-Bale
September 3rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
I'm a newbie here..but I would recommend that you play with makeup first and maybe some hair accesories. Looking at your picture I just love you hair and most women would kill for your height.

Gypsygirl
September 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
I love layers ! I think they are a good option for you to consider. I will be honest, I am on my smart phone, in the mountains, so I will write a more detailed response when I get home later. This little screen is killing me !

Ha! :) I use my phone to check LHC all the time as well- driving my other half crazy! So glad I'm not the only one. lol ;)

jojo
September 3rd, 2011, 10:06 AM

you made me laugh! your up in the mountains and still keeping updated with LHC-respect!:rockerdud

Madora
September 3rd, 2011, 10:15 AM
If you want to create styles involving braids or twists, layers will drive you nuts because of little ends sticking out where you don't want them. You'll spend extra time tacking every little piece down with pins and will be frustrated because you can't finish the style quickly and neatly.

Layers usually means some of your hair will be down at some point, which can mean tangles..which can lead to damage.

However, if you feel happier with layered hair, then fine.

slz
September 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM
I don't think layers would be a good idea for your hair b/c your hair is straight. It will still hang straight, and the layers will just look like damage.
I agree with that - unless your hair has quite a bit of bounce layers will not change the "hangs there" look. Unless you go for face framing layers only or long side bangs how however you call it.

Gypsygirl
September 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
The damage part may be true for some hairtypes, Madora, but definitely not for all. I have layers and yes, I tend to wear my hair down mostly because I love to but if I don't stray from my routine- no damage.

UltraBella
September 3rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Ha! :) I use my phone to check LHC all the time as well- driving my other half crazy! So glad I'm not the only one. lol ;)

you made me laugh! your up in the mountains and still keeping updated with LHC-respect!:rockerdud

Not only am I in the mountains, I am on a four-wheeler ! This addiction is out of control.....

Gypsygirl
September 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
LOL!!! :) But hey...it's a good addiction. ;)

lillylonghair
September 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
There are alos different kinds of layers. It sounds like most everyone is speaking of all over layers.

Rather than go crazy. If you want to just dip your toes in so to speak,you could just do face framing layers. These would soften updos,and add a little more interest with you hair down. If you like those,and have a good stylist then maybe later on you could add layers through your length.

That being said,your hair will grow back and if you try it and hate,well at least you gave it a shot! My vote is for face framing layers to start off.

Lianna
September 3rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
Will it work with updos? You will be able to put your hair up, but it will look different than one length hair. Some might look spiky, others not.

I don't think layers look like damage, that's pretty harsh to say. We just have to maintain it, because it will look uneven soon (and then it could look like damage, because of all the raggedy grown out ends).

I have layers at the bottom only, to make it look thinner. And my bangs look like face framing layers now.

teal
September 3rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
I don't think layers would be a good idea for your hair b/c your hair is straight. (...) The layers won't flip or move or do anything on such straight hair.

There are alos different kinds of layers. It sounds like most everyone is speaking of all over layers.

Rather than go crazy. If you want to just dip your toes in so to speak,you could just do face framing layers. These would soften updos,and add a little more interest with you hair down. If you like those,and have a good stylist then maybe later on you could add layers through your length.

That being said,your hair will grow back and if you try it and hate,well at least you gave it a shot! My vote is for face framing layers to start off.

These sentiments came to mind. The other thing that came to mind, which works particularly well for straight hair, is a Hime cut (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75636).

trillian
September 3rd, 2011, 05:05 PM
Wow! Thanks all! Lots to think about here.

I was sort of concerned about my hair being too straight to pull it off, which is why I asked all of you experts in the first place. Bangs might not be a bad option -

I'm not too worried about messy bits sticking out of updos, because I tend to end up with messy updos now, I do need to be able to pull it back or have it out of my way somehow for work. I really just want it to look more interesting when I wear it down.

As far as if I don't like it, I'm not opposed to getting a cute short cut. Like I said, I've been pretty tired of my hair for a while, I just haven't figured out anything good to do with it yet. Luckily, I do have a stylist I trust, and I think she'd be thrilled for me to do something other than a trim.

Also - now I want to go ATV-ing...

AshNight1214
September 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
To be honest, I think layers were the worst thing I ever did with my hair. I did the layered thing for a good 5 years and it took almost as long to get rid of them when I didn't want them anymore. Of course, I have no idea what the texture of your hair is, so it might do good things for you. But, just be sure you want them! :)

jaine
September 3rd, 2011, 05:23 PM
I love my layers. But please be specific to the hairstylist about what kind of layering you want when you get it cut - where you want the shortest layer and the longest layer to end. I always feel sorry for hairstylists when I see a thread here along the lines of "oh no, I asked for layers and the shortest layer is too short" - because that's easy to prevent with clear instructions.

If you keep the layering in the last 6" of your hair then you can grow it out in a year if you don't like it!