PDA

View Full Version : overnight treatments really do work!

bunzfan
September 3rd, 2011, 04:16 AM
Since i had some very dry ends cut off months ago i have made a big effort to try and keep the moisture in my ends since. I recently did heavy oil treatments at least twice a week with coconut oil and the difference in the condition's of my ends is simply amazing!

My ends after doing these treatments are super soft and not dry which my wavy hair is prone to, anyway if you have a similar problem don't dismiss oil treatments :)

julliams
September 3rd, 2011, 04:37 AM
Great to hear. I have found that the moisture treatments work if you do them regularly over time, just like you have experienced. I might go back to trying coconut oil on the ends as I haven't done it in a while. Do you think it might help to prevent split ends? I wonder sometimes if split ends are a result of dry hair as much as from being whipped around from everyday life.

bunzfan
September 3rd, 2011, 04:47 AM
Great to hear. I have found that the moisture treatments work if you do them regularly over time, just like you have experienced. I might go back to trying coconut oil on the ends as I haven't done it in a while. Do you think it might help to prevent split ends? I wonder sometimes if split ends are a result of dry hair as much as from being whipped around from everyday life.

When i tried coconut oil on the very dry ends before my 2 inch trim! all it did was to soak it up as it was so dry, i don't know why that happened i wear it up 24 hours a day and oil the ends daily. Anyway since i have fresh ends the oil is really helping as you say.

I don't know if it helps with the split ends as i don't get many, but just suffer with dry ends but you could try it for a month or so to see;)

gingerella
September 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
I recently bought coconut oil and can't believe how shiny and happy my ends look after applying even the tiniest amount. How do you apply the coconut oil for your heavier treatments? I really want to give it a go! :)

julierockhead
September 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
I recently bought coconut oil and can't believe how shiny and happy my ends look after applying even the tiniest amount. How do you apply the coconut oil for your heavier treatments? I really want to give it a go! :)
I use organic cold processed coconut oil to deep condition once a week, - I apply it to my scalp, massage for five minutes or so, then section my hair and apply to the lengths and ends until me hair looks wet. Then I put it up in a shower cap and cover it all with a towel to keep the heat in. This is pretty much the standard practice around here.:eyebrows:

Can't wait to get a heating cap and see if that improves things even further!

Megz
September 3rd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Coconut's great and good for penetrating the hair shaft, but I notice that my ends dry out quickly too in the summer with it, when the weather's extra dry. I noticed putting a oils that settle on the top layers of the hair over it helped when I was mixing and matching with oil that has sesame seed oil. There's also jojoba, grapeseed and a few others I'm spacing on, but might help seal the coconut more. Since the stuff with sesame seed that I use has amla in it (and is a bit strong in scent), I might have to give jojoba a try to go on after coconut, or to just mix the two. Think they're polysaturated oils.

Little_Bird
September 3rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
I have mine coated in olive oil, conditioner a shower cap and a kind of warm towel! =D I also love deep treatments and they do make a diference on your ends!

Keep it up :)

gingerella
September 3rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Thank you for the advice! I'm a newbie when it comes to using oils in my hair so it's all a bit confusing at first. I will try an oil treatment tomorrow! Do you just wash the oils out after the treatment?

bunzfan
September 3rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
I use organic cold processed coconut oil to deep condition once a week, - I apply it to my scalp, massage for five minutes or so, then section my hair and apply to the lengths and ends until me hair looks wet. Then I put it up in a shower cap and cover it all with a towel to keep the heat in. This is pretty much the standard practice around here.:eyebrows:

Can't wait to get a heating cap and see if that improves things even further!

I don't apply it to the scalp as i heard it can really irritate it, instead i just apply about a handful to my mid lengths and ends until my hair is totally saturated with it then braid my hair and leave it in till the next morning, when i CO wash it out. To make sure i get the oil out i let the conditioner sit on my entire head for a good 20 mins.

Olive oil is also a great one. Once my hair has been Co washed i also put a little oil on damp ends, to be fair my hair always have some sort of oil in it as it really helps when doing updo's for me:D

jojo
September 3rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Just chimming in to say wow how thick is your hemline? looks great! I prefer EVOO and I put this on my scalp too with no ill effects.

bunzfan
September 4th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Just chimming in to say wow how thick is your hemline? looks great! I prefer EVOO and I put this on my scalp too with no ill effects.

Thanks Jojo:D yeah it is thicker which is great for braids etc. but not for updo's. I didn't know that oil was o.k on your scalp to overnight hmm i may try it, i have a dry scalp. Thanks.

Aredhel77
September 4th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Yes oil is fine for an overnight treatment - you may want to cover either your hair or pillow with something to protect it from greasy stains (however to be honest, I don't bother! :disgust:), or clingfilm the hair (this encourages heat from the scalp which helps the oil penetrate even more).

Lots of people here use a conditioner soak next day to remove the oil - it often does a better job than shampooing alone. Just apply lots of conditioner to dampened hair and leave it on for ten minutes then rinse. (You can shampoo after if you need to, or even shampoo OVER the conditioner:"CWC" - Condition Wash Condition). :)

gingerella
September 4th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I don't apply it to the scalp as i heard it can really irritate it, instead i just apply about a handful to my mid lengths and ends until my hair is totally saturated with it then braid my hair and leave it in till the next morning, when i CO wash it out. To make sure i get the oil out i let the conditioner sit on my entire head for a good 20 mins.

Olive oil is also a great one. Once my hair has been Co washed i also put a little oil on damp ends, to be fair my hair always have some sort of oil in it as it really helps when doing updo's for me:D

Thanks for the input! I didn't focus on my roots and scalp since it's my lenghts that really need the treatment. I have it in right now and can't wait to see the results. I put some cling film around my hair and then a towel to see if the heat gives the treatment an extra boost. I just recently started CO-washing and will definitely leave it in for a while as I'm a bit worried about not getting the excess oil out.