PDA

View Full Version : Tangle Frustrations!

Venefica
September 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
I am going insane. i have a epic tangle in my hair. I had to bun my hair without brushing it one day, the forgot to braid it and woke up with this nightmare. I have tried everything for two weeks to get it out, stay in balsam, oils, different sort of combs, finally the only thing that seam to bite on it is my cat's brush. I am going insane, this is taking hour up and hour down.

Sorry I just needed to went my frustrations.

MeganE
September 2nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
If you don't want to cut it out, I'd slather in some coney conditioner and carefully try to detangle from the ends down, and in small sections at at time. You may need to snip the worst parts out.

CinnamonHair talks about getting out really bad tangles in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CinnamonHair#p/a/u/1/hKVaqyLJgwI

At around 2 minutes she'll recommend using L'oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture to get out pretty much any bad tangle that you have. I'd try it with regular conditioner first, and then I'd be going to Sally's Beauty Supply to get the Mega Moisture.

darklyndsea
September 2nd, 2011, 05:48 PM
Work from the outside in (preferably from the bottom up, but that's not always possible), and don't expect to get any whole strands free for a while; your initial goal should be loosening it. A little bit here, a little bit there...it'll look worse before it gets better. To cut down on the frustration, try to do something else while you detangle: watch TV, surf the internet, just something to distract you at least a little bit and make it go faster.

No product recommendations here; I detangled my "I didn't brush or comb at all throughout middle school" hair without anything other than a brush, comb, and fingers. I think the fingers were the MVP, but you have to have at least a few loops of hair sticking out of the tangle to use them.

Lianna
September 2nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
I recommend the tangle teezer, the tangles I needed 3 minutes to detangle I only need 5 seconds now. I could never detangle while dry before (still can't with a comb).

Venefica
September 4th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Thank you all for the advice. No I do not want to cut the tangle out as it is one forth of my hair, and I have 4,3 inches around my ponytail and hair to my butt so that is one big tangle. I am still working on it, I am still frustrated and I am pretty stressed as I have a meeting on Tuesday and I do not want to look like some horror from beyond that just crawled out of a bog when I go to the meeting.

Helix
September 4th, 2011, 05:25 PM
If you're looking for a product rec to help the strands glide out of the knot easier I did a post about tangle busters on my blog the link is in my siggy. It's the most recent post actually. I'm all too familiar with the tangles so I can totally empathize with you.

Just take your time with it, (finger detangle first, then when it starts feeling a little loose you can start combing beginning from the ends moving upwards). Hopefully you won't have to resort to using scissors. You've still got a couple of days till your meeting so that should be plenty of time. Good luck.

Sunshineliz
September 4th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I've had the exact same thing you're talking about and I just kept trying to ignore it for days on end, but obviously that didn't work out. I didn't have to cut it though.

TONS of conditioner and lots of time working with my fingers from the bottom up, with occasional use of comb or brush and I eventually got it out. And learned to never let it get like that again.:)