PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your hair from hair elastics

Knittycat
September 2nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Hey folks, I'm sorry about this topic being a repeat, as I'm sure it is, but I can't get the search function to work! It takes forever to load, and then displays a completely blank page. So, I ask you all here:
How can I protect the ends of my hair from hair elastics. I've got the fabric wrapped no-metal bit type. I love to wear my hair in a braid, but I just know I'm tearing up my ends.
I've heard a couple of methods mentioned by name in passing, but like I said, I'm having trouble with the search function, so I can't look them up!

pepperminttea
September 2nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
One thing I picked up from Spidermom, that she uses with those little silicone 1-2 use elastics, is to wrap a bit of ribbon around first, and tie the hair elastic over the top of the ribbon. That way, the ribbon cushions your hair. :) That's saved me so much breakage!

Knittycat
September 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Any problems with it slipping out? My hair is very fine and slick.

teal
September 2nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Any problems with it slipping out? My hair is very fine and slick.
Why not combine the two suggestions? Use ribbon with the beefier elastic? I always break the silicone elastic trying to get it tight enough not to slip out...

pepperminttea
September 2nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Nope, it holds for me. :) I do indeed use it with a "beefier" elastic (love that term).

Carolyn
September 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
I have a hell of a time with the plastic elastics. I can't get them around my tassel enough time to hold tightly. I try to buy the elastics that are knitted hosiery stuff when I can. The ones made for little girls ponytails are a good size but I'm not always really fond of the bright colors. I prefer black most of the time.

Megz
September 2nd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Ha, Ive been tempted to ask the same question, because I'm realizing what breakage I'm getting is from my elastic bands (and my norty pseudo ponytail bun). Love the silk wrap idea. Thought I was going to have to miraculously learn to sew and get a machine to make my own.

Lianna
September 2nd, 2011, 11:56 PM
You could try a mini flexi 8 (http://www.flexi8.com/hair-clips-mini.html?id=ELBMMiZF) too. :)

Megz
September 3rd, 2011, 12:16 AM
Ooh! Love the look of those mini's. Thanks, Lianna. And there goes yet another future chunk from next week's pay. It's all for the greater good, though.

blue_nant
September 3rd, 2011, 02:45 AM
I have a hell of a time with the plastic elastics. I can't get them around my tassel enough time to hold tightly. I try to buy the elastics that are knitted hosiery stuff when I can. The ones made for little girls ponytails are a good size but I'm not always really fond of the bright colors. I prefer black most of the time.

Hi Carolyn *waves across the state line and the flooded river*!

I love the hosiery wraps! But they slip out easily.

The plastic elastics work for me, and if you take them out by unwrapping the individual wraps, I feel safe assuming not too much damage. I use the elastics b/c they stay in.

I use the hosiery b/c I know they are nicer to my hair. It depends on the need.

If I'm dancing and the hair will be up, wrapped around the base of the bun? Hosiery, because it won't get a chance to slip out.

If the braid is down and subject to chairs and shoulders (where the hosiery one is more liable to slip out), then it depends on my mood. I carry a spare hosiery one on my keychain anyway.

I agree it can be hard to find a muted color! Neons and pinks and ... wow! Ugh! LOL

nellreno
September 3rd, 2011, 02:50 AM
The little clear elastics hold my braid tassel well. The only time I've had them fall out during the night was when I was wearing pigtails and didn't wrap them enough times (and I toss and turn a lot during my sleep).

I don't know if switching to the clear elastics from the thick wrapped hair ties have really made a difference in the amount of damage though.

dRummie
September 3rd, 2011, 05:07 AM
How interesting.. I use regular fabric-y elastics (without metal) and have no problems with even my nape hair, but I wouldn't dream of using anything that had uncovered plastic.

No suggestions, I'm afraid :o Good luck!

Eternal.Fiend
September 3rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
I use these: http://www.boots.com/en/Scunci-Thin-Black-Elastics-28-pack_1189711/

They hold really well and I haven't noticed any breakge from them and I've been wearing my hair in a braid/s since I brought them. I like the ribbon idea though, but it would just slip out of my hair completely, mine's so silky.... I've also heard on other threads that they use cut up tights? Haven't tried it so I can't really comment on it, but one thing that was also mentioned on another thread is to not tie your hair in the same place everyday, because that helps to reduce the damage on one spot. I don't know if that's true, but it's something to think about.

Hope this helps :)

MsBubbles
September 3rd, 2011, 10:56 AM
Whoever decided to call those thin ties 'ouchless' or non-damaging, has not met my hair! :o

I have to use the ponytail holders designed for little girls, for my braid ends. They stay on fine (the small ones).

For even less damage though, I like to use these bigger ones in my photo. Again, they stay on the end of my thin braid just fine, and I have not incurred any damage, as far as I can tell. I have really fine, slippery hair too.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6206/6109084491_cbd1f2a7cc_m.jpg

dinnee
September 3rd, 2011, 11:18 AM
I use those baby ones too, in the picture above. I use black ones though :D

mallorykay13
September 3rd, 2011, 12:22 PM
I dont have a hard time with the little rubber bands at all. I do worry about them catching my hair and pulling hair out althought I have not experinced this much yet... I am scared it will have long term effects however.

MinderMutsig
September 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Whoever decided to call those thin ties 'ouchless' or non-damaging, has not met my hair! :o

I have to use the ponytail holders designed for little girls, for my braid ends. They stay on fine (the small ones).

For even less damage though, I like to use these bigger ones in my photo. Again, they stay on the end of my thin braid just fine, and I have not incurred any damage, as far as I can tell. I have really fine, slippery hair too.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6206/6109084491_cbd1f2a7cc_m.jpg
I use these too but I don't like that they are so bulky. I've been experimenting with cut up pantyhose and those work quite well! You just cut the toes off an old pair of pantyhose/stockings and then cut the rest in strips of approx. half an inch. They are thin, they hold surprisingly well, they are much gentler on my hair than regular elastics and they look thinner.

MsBubbles
September 3rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
I use these too but I don't like that they are so bulky. I've been experimenting with cut up pantyhose and those work quite well! You just cut the toes off an old pair of pantyhose/stockings and then cut the rest in strips of approx. half an inch. They are thin, they hold surprisingly well, they are much gentler on my hair than regular elastics and they look thinner.

That's a great idea. I have read of this before but forgot it. Thanks for the reminder. That probably would be a whole lot less bulky.

Siowiel
September 3rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
I use the elastics pictured above, too, and sometimes the little silicone ones for small braids. But recently, I have begun to braid a ribbon in,a long one, that I take up at the middle and distribute on two strands of my braid when I start it. At the end, I wrap the ribbons around one time and tie them. Holds very well for me, and I think this is not damaging at all.

SusanSt
September 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
I use the elastics pictured above, too, and sometimes the little silicone ones for small braids. But recently, I have begun to braid a ribbon in,a long one, that I take up at the middle and distribute on two strands of my braid when I start it. At the end, I wrap the ribbons around one time and tie them. Holds very well for me, and I think this is not damaging at all.

This sounds like a great idea! I'm going to try it. Thanks.

AshleyTheRed
September 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
I use scrunchies mainly, but my hair is very thick. If I can't find a scrunchie I'll use cut panthose or a ribbon.